Shaving alum heads

Chat about anything and everything.
cuz

I dont suppose anyone has noticed what sort of milling cutter your mechanics are using to shave alum heads.?I just finised a cast iron triumph herald head for a mate,no dramas so I thought I might practice on my old cracked MB head. I tried using a slab cutter and a face cutter ( I might have got a better finish using my teeth) using several different lubricants with no luck. :? I know at least one of you is going to say send it to someone that knows :wink: but what the hell.
cuz
Colin

the machinist uses a tip like the ones they use for machining brake discs
MORE BEER! :beer:
cuz

I have got some positive rake tips,but I need 8 to go in cutter :( Looks like im on the scrounge at work for some.Thanks col :)
cuz
Colin

you only need 1 tip at high speed
cuz

I tried a fly cutter with one tip last night using kerosene as cutting fluid. The finish was reasonable but, :? . Im back at work tomorrow so Il get the tips & try the big cutter. while were on the subject of heads, a mate was telling me about copper head gaskets.I never heard of them,but Im curious, if they could be made thicker to lower compression for turboes.
cuz
Brayden

Thats exactly what copper gaskets are good for. The only side effect being that by raising the head to lower the compression, your timing is thrown out, so you'd need a vernier gear to get the cam timing 100% spot on.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
cuz

This might sound just as dopey,but can you machine piston top to get same efect.
cuz
cuz

Disreguard that,Im thinking of triumph piston with a flat top. MB hollowed out. :roll:
cuz
Colin

i machined my pistons heaps to lower the compression :twisted:
cuz

:oops: Is there any part in that motor you havent modified. I can understand machining the lip around top of piston and Im working from memory here but I seem to recall valve indentations in the hollowed out section with the directional arrow.( I dont think I want to get that dedicated ) :|
cuz
Colin

20 thou here 20 thou there it all adds up