Project ROTABOY

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
xrs

My obsession has to come to life, as it will drive my crazy.

I’ve made references in the past from time to time, on an idea I’ve had.

I’ve also been told by three sources it has been done. So knowing it’s possible, shouldn’t make the impossible possible. Just need to know how hard the possible is going to be.

I ‘need’ to install a rotary into a mighty boy, gone is the ‘want’, and ‘need’ in its place.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So I’ve have come to talk it over before I start to buy bits and pieces.

Pretty much all the old bits and pieces I’ve had laying around the house have been sold, or is being sold. So the wife shouldn’t get too upset to much if I take on a new project :P

Now around next month I’ll possible start going out a measuring size of things, unless someone can throw a bit of info my way. (Engine bay height, width and depth) If not I’ll be measuring up a wrecked Suzuki hatch’s engine bay, that is near work. They should be the same?

I’m pretty sure a 12A should fit no worries, with only the sump being a possible factor, and have to see where the steering control arm/boot sits, to see if that will get in the way of the gearbox. I believe that a small chunk of the firewall will have to be cut out and a plate welded up to make space for the bell housing.

Rails to mount the engine it’s self shouldn’t be too hard, I’ve seen some pretty dodge rotary conversion on a few cars.

Last thing is attaching a rear diff to that lovely leaf suspension rear end. Now I read around the web that a couple of people had done a 4WD conversion to there mighty boys. Would any body be able to shed some light on what the structural integrity was like?

Was thinking it might be better to cut the whole rear floor out of the tray and make a few cross members to the wheel arches themselves, hoping that would make it ridged enough. Then find some struts to mount in there (any recommendation? Maybe Alto or Every/Carry ones? Suppose will depend on what diff I use to what I can bolt up, don’t want to really have to pay for custom coil overs)

Still throwing up if I’m going to use 4 speed auto or manual (think I’ll go down the auto path)

I believe Colin posted once before, that he knew of someone that fitted a 13b? Used to do burn outs or something.

If so and there is space between the two strut towers can buy 13B-REW the same price as standard 13B. But I’m not sure of the overall size the 13bbT is over the 12aT.

No I’m not planning to try and get it road legal, strictly track car. But in saying that didn’t Waz from WazMotorsports get his 4WD Mighty Boy RTA approved?

Anyway, look forward to your input, and if it looks like things should fall it place, should be green light to start collecting :)

Cheers Guys

Chris

[sorry edit, on searching the forum, colin had said that it was a 12A that a mate had fitted not a 13B]
Brayden

I'm helping a mate with a 13B turbo install in his Gemini at the moment, and I'll tell you right now that you won't fit one in an MB!

Okay, but to move on to the actual possibilities:

Seriously, a 10A would be AMPLE for a ute that tips the scales at under 600kg. If you're serious about the 12A then more power to you, but if the 10A is smaller (which I'm pretty sure it is) then it would make your life much easier.
The engine bay dimensions of the MB are similar to a Hatch, barring the height. (The Hatch has a good 3 inches or more from bonnet to crossmember. Height and width won't be issues for you, but length from front to rear is a huge problem. You will have to cut into the firewall more than a "little", I will suggest that depending on your choice of gearbox you'll be hacking out a large chunk to get the motor back far enough in the engine bay to fit the radiator and fan in. I would estimate the tunnel fabrication would go from the firewall right back to the front of the seats.

As for the drivetrain, I would recommend finding a pre '91 Suzuki Carry and lifting the rear diff/axle and gearbox. Why? Because the box dimensions are fairly compact, and the rear diff/axle looks to be the same width as the MB axle, and it will bolt straight up to the standard MB leaf suspension, becauese the Carry uses leaf suspension too. ;)
It is also worth noting that the gearbox uses cable select, so you can position the gearbox wherever it fits and then mount the shifter where it is comfortable.

With engineering, I would sit down and work out what you're going to do, then consult an engineer before you start and outline your plans. He'll soon tell you what will and won't be possible, and it will make the final engineers certificate easier to obtain if the guy knows exactly what work went into the conversion.
For the record, as I understand it, Waz's 4WD conversion wasn't exactly legitimately passed by the RTA, although it is registered. There are all sorts of tricks in QLD that allow mods that would not even get a look in south of the border.

But in all honesty, if you want an eye-catching conversion then get a Suzuki Carry, which is already RWD and throw a 12A into that! That way you get an easier conversion that will be less hassle with engineering and with massive amounts of lockable space inside!

But good luck with whatever you choose to pursue!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
daz3d

What about the possibilities of putting a rotary into a hatch?
1984 Suzuki Hatch In Ford XR6 Orange ;)
Goofy[HSK]

i've heard of a rotary converted to fwd in a mini...
anythings possible with an endless suply of money
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
Brayden

daz3d wrote:What about the possibilities of putting a rotary into a hatch?
Same as what I outlined above.
eDave

It's been tried before and the result was a monstrosity!
If you really want RWD, I'd go with a cappa f6a.
Hell, I used to own a 12a rotor and the radiator on those things is HUGE!
Not to mention that you'd have to be in the back seat to change gear.

I don't want to be a hater or negative weight on your ambitions, but mate, you'd have more fun with something achievable and road registerable.
Brayden

eDave wrote:It's been tried before and the result was a monstrosity!
If you really want RWD, I'd go with a cappa f6a.
Hell, I used to own a 12a rotor and the radiator on those things is HUGE!
Not to mention that you'd have to be in the back seat to change gear.

I don't want to be a hater or negative weight on your ambitions, but mate, you'd have more fun with something achievable and road registerable.
Actually Dave, a 10A is about the same size as an F6A! But yeah, 12A = much work!
eDave

AFAIK, 10a's haven't been in production for some time.
You'd be hard pressed for parts, etc.

Even if you could get one, you'd imagine that the gearbox would be a bit long?

Either way, xrs! I'll be happy to be proven wrong!
xrs

:x Yeah even the 12A comes way to far into the firewall, would come as wide as were the clutch peddle is :oops:

Thanks for the great info thou, got the motor next to the hatch side by side, i should of of got a photo lol.

It could fit, but a lot of time just cutting. Would be best to start with piping and MB frame over the top. There's a few RX2/3 with 10A in the trading post at the moment. But the idea of the Carry was a cool one. But my other half doesn't like the look of the VAN that much :P

My lust for mighty boy + speeds hasn’t dissipated, so maybe I’ll dig around the turbo f8b line of things.

I see both Brayden and collin (collin running high boost?) running charade turbo setups?

I’ll do a bit of reading on the forum, and get some questions lined up. As F8B are pretty plentiful just don’t know how easy the charade turbo gear is getting to hunt down.

Anyway cheers guys, going to look at a red MOY this week end :D
Brayden

Do a Carry! I tell you I didn't think anything could turn as many heads as an MB until I got my van! 8)
xrs

lol i love your van, but the 1st thing my wife said was

thats ugly :-o

But i said, hunny theres room in a van...

Still wouldn't have it :?
Brayden

Well owning an MB and van I can say that the van wins hands down for practicality, but yeah its nowhere near as sexy as the MB. :)