NA F8B Tuning!

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
jono

Okay, thanks for that. Good luck with the Targa car though, definitely let me know when it eventuates!

They are having a night stage too now this year, which should be cool.

I might just leave the standard head on there, in case I decide to turbo/supercharge in the future.

And, yes the EFI is a bit messy, I have wires everywhere in my engine bay :) but it's worth it!
Speed Limited: I'm Pedalling as Fast as I Can
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

http://www.freewebs.com/fitre/
Fynn

Alot of stock intakes are made so they can just cope with making stock power, purely for this reason they are pritty efficient ... you want more power ... then they tend to become very innefficient. basically the only power mod I did to my car was a new intake manifold with fuel injection and a huge dual throttle body (40mm and 45mm throttles) the power I gained from just that mod and not changing the exhaust manifold or engine internals leads me to say that if you was a significantly more power then 29.5kW at the flywheel something has to be done. I had 30kW at the wheels going through the much bigger and heavier 20valve corolla gearbox. PLEASE DON'T ASK ABOUT THAT, IT'LL BRING BACK NIGHTMARES

That mod was very messy and the only worthwhile thing I did before getting the f6a ... if I didn't do the gearbox mod or any of the other frankenstein mods I would've been quite content.

The targa car is years away ... it's only a dream for now, more immeadiate concerns are employment after I graduate and possibly thinking of working on my uni's Formula SAE project for next year.

PS stevan why does mechanical engineering suck ... plus "I hated it." does this mean you tried it and dropped out or does it mean that you finished your degree got a work then decided you wanted out.
Me personally ever since I was 8 I've been into cars and have been desperate to get into the automotive industry. When I graduate or even 6-12 months before, I'm going to be applying anywhere and everywhere I can to try and get into production car design or race car engineering, I don't really care where in the world that takes me. There'll always be race car and tracks where ever I end up. (lol ... then after that speach, I end up in some war torn part of the world in 2 years)
stevan_istheman

I was doing the advanced diploma of mechanical engineering because i've been into cars ever since i gould help dad work on them.
But i want to have cars as a hobby, that way i don't get pissed off at them through the week and want noting to do with them over the weekends.
Our course had noting to do with cars at all, it was mostly science and physics to help us build bridges and crap.. not really mechanical engineering at all now that i think about it. The teachers came from a civil engineering school to teach us mechanical engineering. What The?!
So, Yes... i did mechanical engineering for 2 years and got pissed off with the teaches so i said up yours and pissed off out of that hell hole without any qualifications.
It was so worth it. :)
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
Fynn

I guess that's fair, I hate Civil Engineering ... Most of the staff at Newcastle Uni are in Bulk Solids but, there's still an on going Formula SAE project and Fluids projects. Apparently alot of race team scouts and automotive people go to the events to recruit new engineers. I want to design cars for a living and race them for a hobby so it kinda works.
stevan_istheman

Yeah, i've always wanted to be a car designer but that's too much hard work.. I've decided to just build custom one off cars when i get the money to start a business.
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
boosted_alto

@ All

I got my old cars head milled a little to increase compression to 9.5 : 1 with help from SuzukiTuning.com. Now that Mechanic is gone and cant do it for me.

I need to do it to a friends car.

Heres the link to his new car.

http://www.pakwheels.com/forumreply_az_ ... !9~pw.html

Can you guys tell me what other things will need to be done to get the car going rite after milling the head !??? (Plz in detail)

Cheerz!
Brayden

Higher octane fuel and reset the timing, or have the distributor recurved if the change in compression is dramatic.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
jono

Well, I think I'll just whack a turbo on in the future, considering I won't need carby, top hat, dizzy mods, fuel pump (except for a lift pump and FPR). Think that's all taken care of with my EFI setup :?

Won't be for a bit though.... Hey Brayden, what have been the main issues in doing your turbo EFI setup, was it actually installing the EFI?
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

Brayden

Installing the actual manifold was the least of my problems. Upgrading the fuel system, wiring the ECU and ancillaries, the piping for the I/C, and all the stuff-ups along the way were my major stalling points.
Now the tuning will be another issue, as finding someone who knows the ECU (MicroTech) and has worked on 3 cylinder cars is problematic.

The other hurdle has been the cost, which is now quite substantial because I've bought nearly everything brand new. I got very tired of messing with other people's used shit, and came to the conclusion that I'd rather do it once, and do it properly.
fritz

Brayden wrote: I got very tired of messing with other people's used shit, and came to the conclusion that I'd rather do it once, and do it properly.
Amen to that. :bow:
jono

Yeah, me and my dad had a bit of fun with the fuel lines. Lucky everything was labelled for me as to where the wires went.

My main issue is whether I should super or turbo charge :?:

Any ideas, input anybody?
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

evilgidget

Oh and BTW, targa has pretty stringent entry requirements - you cant take any old car...
Part of the "entry requirement" is an invitation from the organisers... :cry:
At least that's what I was told by my mechanic, who's done the last 3 Targa's in a Lancia Delta HF Integrale...
boosted_alto

@ BRayden

Would I have to alter the Cam Timing too along with Ingition Timing and Carby Tuning ?!

And the car also runs on CNG and I got to know that CNG is higher Octane fuel than Petrol so will it run on CNG too with Higher Compression of 9.5 : 1 ?
Brayden

If CNG is like LPG in performance then in theory it should be much better for your high compression motor. Ignition timing would have to be adjusted to compensate.

A cam with higher lift or a bit more duration wouldn't be a bad addition though.
boosted_alto

Then Its Cool Brayden cuz none of my new Mechanics could be trusted with CAM Timing. Will update you when its done.

Which CAM can be installed in an F8B to increase lift as there are no Aftermarket parts for the F8b ! Some engines whose parts are available as new in Pakistan are (Suzuki only) : F10A, G10A, G13BB, G16B, G16A and a variant of F6 (I think its F6 as its an old engine, non-efi carburated engine with 650/660cc). Let me know which engine's cam will fit bolt on to F8B to increase lift or duration.