extractors/exhaust system

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
ceej

http://www.kc-technica.com/democar/suzuki.html

Took a lot of goes guessing what the writing on the picture said... :wink:
Garry. Nuff sed!
kidwithahatch

tIGHTEN IT HARDER, BUTNOT TOO HARD CAUSE THE BOLT WILL SNAP..
they are as tight as possible. would the fact that i have a 550cc 83 model exhaust manifold on the 800cc 81 model make much of a difference??

also does anyone know how much it would cost to get the pipes for the extractors bent but not all welded together??
Hewball

ooo i want!!!!!
[url=http://tamon.edave.net/gallery/v/members/Hewball/][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/per_gall.gif[/img][/url]
stevan_istheman

brayden wrote:Oooooh baby!
Brayden's got a boner! :lol:
fritz wrote:Those aren't for a suzi are they??? :) :)
Where'd you find those pics? huh? huh? :D
The Internet.. :lol:

On a more serious note...
http://www.kc-technica.com/
or the translated version: (hope it works)
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... en%26lr%3D

They're prices are stupidly high but it doesn't hurt to drool.. :wink:
On that site somewhere it said something about a 100hp single cam f6a alto works.. *drools on keyboard a little more*
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
fritz

Ignore that - I found them :oops:
ToranaGuy

Hewball wrote:having a round tube welded to a square port wont make that much difference,

these are what i had made, before i went the turbo route, and yes they are square holes where it bolts to the head
Very cool dude!

I wonder how hard it would be to make a DIY set of extractors for a F8b, something like those pictured.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
fritz

You can buy really nice joining peices (3 - 1 bit), and also have the face plate cnc (?) cut, so I guess if you can weld, it shouldn't be a massive job.
:)
Brayden

ToranaGuy wrote: I wonder how hard it would be to make a DIY set of extractors for a F8b, something like those pictured.
Not hard. I have a set of extractors here made by a fellow forum member. Crush bent pipe and a collector welded onto a plate.

A set made from mandrels would be much better, but not essential.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
fritz

Yeah I reckon if you could accurately figure out the header pipes (so they can be bent from drawings), it wouldn't be an ultra difficult job.
I'd be piss easy to draw up the the base plate to be laser cut.

Mmmm..... :-o
ToranaGuy

fritz wrote:You can buy really nice joining peices (3 - 1 bit), and also have the face plate cnc (?) cut, so I guess if you can weld, it shouldn't be a massive job.
:)
I've got access to a NC mill that i could use to make the face plate, and possibly a cnc in the next 12mths. I've got a spare head & spare exhaust manifold to use for measurements as well. My older bro is building a cnc mill, and i've invested in the project. He's a Mech engineer by trade.:D

I can also weld decent enough, tho practice makes perfect. My g/f's dad has an oxy that could assist in bending pipes to make a set of extractors up. Sounds like it's a project for next summer i think. :twisted:

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Brayden

If you're going to make a base plate, see if you can get a few made. I know I would buy at least one if they are made from nice thick material. (8mm or so.)
fritz

Brayden wrote:If you're going to make a base plate, see if you can get a few made. I know I would buy at least one if they are made from nice thick material. (8mm or so.)
I was thinking about this for when I get mine made up. I will be doing this some time, but not sure exactly how soon?
My only concern with that was that I'll be doing a system in stainless, and that wouldn't necesarry be everybody elses choice. Then there is also the issue of the exact design. - I'm thinking of making a port matched setup, and also believe that the best design is one where the header pipe fits into flange and is then welded. - I haven't done too much research on this though.
Kartman

Getting things laser cut is not an issue these days. For small jobs it is the setup charge that can make it uneconomical for a one-off. But if we all agree to a design and pitch in some $ i dare say we can offset the setup cost between us all. At a guess, the setup is about $100 then you have machine time and the cost of material. Whilst stainless will be more expensive, I would think we could mix steel and stainless steel for the same setup charge.

How many of us are interested?
Once we've got an idea of numbers, someone will have to come up with a cad drawing that we all agree with the we can send off for quotes.

As for matching the pipes to the ports - a bit of work with a hammer and an oxy will do wonders. Even easier if you've got some the correct tube expanders.

if you want to do some real funky stuff, I played around with making two stroke expansion chambers using the high pressure hydraulic method - cut the metal out in flat form, weld the seems and pump it up with water to a few 1000psi using a hand water pump. It amazing how metal stretches with that amount of force applied to it. Since water doensn't compress much, if the seem splits you just get wet.

For those who want to bend their own tubes, fill the tubes with dry sand and block the ends. Use an oxy to heat the area of bend and apply force. Mandel like bends without a mandrel. Takes some patience and practice though.
Brayden

Kartman wrote:Getting things laser cut is not an issue these days. For small jobs it is the setup charge that can make it uneconomical for a one-off. But if we all agree to a design and pitch in some $ i dare say we can offset the setup cost between us all. At a guess, the setup is about $100 then you have machine time and the cost of material. Whilst stainless will be more expensive, I would think we could mix steel and stainless steel for the same setup charge.

How many of us are interested?
Once we've got an idea of numbers, someone will have to come up with a cad drawing that we all agree with the we can send off for quotes.
I'll start a new thread to get an idea of numbers. :)