adaptor plate

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Brayden

The pic you have is a Ram-Flo filter on the top of the stock carby.

A redline adaptor plate for a DGV Weber doesn't alter the orientation of it at all, it merely funnels the bigger throats of the carby down to match the standard inlet plate.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
fritz

Hmmmm?... - So how then does the carb bolt to the manifold?
I cant visualise how and adaptor could be bolted to the manifold and also the carb given that the stud spacing for the manifold and carb are so similar. :?
me217

what aftermarket carbs fit on a f8b. and is there any difference in performance. on a stocko motor

me217
me217

1985 suzuki mighty boy : mods, f8b
1990 toyota mr2 gt import : mods, turbo timer, short shifter, 2.5" exhaust
1992 suzuki sierra : mods, g16b mpfi, 235's/75, snorkel & lift on the way.
ceej

me217 wrote:what aftermarket carbs fit on a f8b. and is there any difference in performance. on a stocko motor

me217
You can get a Weber carb, 30DIC, which with a set of extractors will give you a noticeable gain. :wink:
Garry. Nuff sed!
Brayden

fritz wrote:Hmmmm?... - So how then does the carb bolt to the manifold?
I cant visualise how and adaptor could be bolted to the manifold and also the carb given that the stud spacing for the manifold and carb are so similar. :?
I was just going to explain how it works, but it would be easier to take some pics. ;) I'll see what I can do.
fritz

That would be greatly appreciated. :)

Still haven't heard back from redline yet either. :(
Might call them soon.
hatchman

just think of bolting a thick plate flange ontop of the standard carby flange with the studs removed, and then bolting carby ontop of the new flange.\\

thats what people do when they change turbo setup's and still want to go with the standard exhaust manifold
fritz

OK.

Well it doesn't really matter anymore as I just got a reply from redline this morning.
re your enquiry
we have adaptors with bolt pattern 80x43
we dont have adaptor to suit your weber pattern 42x73

regards ken
:( :( :(
Brayden

You can make one mate, they're nothing more than a glorified billet of alloy and some hex studs.

I'll go take those pics for you in a sec. ;)
gadj

The adaptor plate does not change the carby position/orientation. It merely acts to alter the bolt positions ie: adaptor bolts to manifold and carby using different bolt positions. & yes it does "funnell" from the larger webber to the smaller manifold (slight offset in funnell). The item you need is generally sold as webber (or holley 180) to datsun/gemini I know this as I bought one to suit the A14 Sunny engine in my LJ50 they should be avail. via any good speed shop or carby/fuel system speciallist.

Gadj
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:You can make one mate, they're nothing more than a glorified billet of alloy and some hex studs.

I'll go take those pics for you in a sec. ;)
It may be a bit hard for the avg joe to make one from a billit, but yes they are not much more than a billit that's been milled out to match carby to manifold. Or possibly a cast item if they are really needing mass production, just milled to tidy the casting up a bit. Not all that complex.

For the avg joe in their back yard, what would be easier would be 2 flanges of steel or alloy, one machined / hacked to suit the original manifold, the other machined / hacked to suit the new carby. Then inbetween you need a tube or tubes that you can use to match the 2 flanges together. If you made if from steel, it wouldn't be hard to mig or even stick weld it up.

My Turbo setup on my torana originally had a 2" su carby back in the 70's, but someone has since hacked up an adapter to stick on a 45 DCOE weber, hacked is the right word for it, it wasn't very neat inside or outside, but it worked well enough.

I'm going to run LPG on the turbo setup, so i designed up an adapter, to be machined from a billit of alloy, had my older bro draw it up in a CAD program & got a mate of his to machine it from a billet of alloy. It has flanges to suit the original su flange & the GRA LPG TB flange, and i also tapered the inside bore of the adapter so it is a propper funnel. Should work rather well when i get that motor running.

You should get an idea of how to make one if you need to from that. If not i can post a pic or two of the hacked 45 weber adaper, then you should easily see how to make one.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Brayden

Alloy is so easy to work with, all you need is a drill press, and a file or die grinder. I made one for my turbo carby in an hour or so, and I'm certainly a very average joe when it comes to that sort of thing! :lol:
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:Alloy is so easy to work with, all you need is a drill press, and a file or die grinder. I made one for my turbo carby in an hour or so, and I'm certainly a very average joe when it comes to that sort of thing! :lol:
I don't know many avg joe's that have a drill press, but yes if you have a drill press and die grinder, you could make one. I'm trying to re-organise my shed and get a few unfinished projects done so i've got room for a pedestal mount drill press.

So much easier to get a cnc program & cnc mill to do all the work tho. ;) If anyone cares, you can google diy cnc and get a few sites that go into how to build one & so on. Very cool reading.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
fritz

Hmmmm?....
Well I will almost certainly not bother with a bodged (home made) adaptor plate. If I can buy something that does the job properly then fine.
Otherwise, I may try and weld shut the manifold stud holes and re-drill the studs to suit.

If that doesn't work then my new 30 DIC will be listed back on ebay... :wink:
ceej

fritz wrote:If that doesn't work then my new 30 DIC will be listed back on ebay... :wink:
If this happens send us a PM and ill take it off ya hands! :wink:
Garry. Nuff sed!