Need Accurate info on front suspension/braking upgrades

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
MYT BOY

hey guys ok this is the go, iv read of the guides and woteva else i could find during a search but i couldnt come across the precise info i needed.
ok i need to kno 3 things, i have a mightyboy, i want to lower it alittle, i want to upgrade the front brakes, and i need to kno what's legal.
1st Q, what is involved in doing the sa swift front strut conversion, and if it involves drilling new holes in the lower mounting bracket, will it still be legal to use?
2nd Q, if i do use the sa swift front strut, can i also use the sa switch stub axle assembly which theoretically will eliminate any modifications being done to the mounting bracket?
3rd Q, if i use both of the above will the sa swift brakes still work with the mightyboy mastercylinder and so forth, and will they be a big enough upgrade.

p.s if anyone has any other setups i can use please feel free to let me kno, remembering i want it lowered about 1-2inchs, better handling and better braking.... cheers guys
Brayden

SA struts, with SA hubs and standard height springs will bolt straight on, and lower the ute about 1". Because of the tie rod configuration you cannot lower any further using this combination, because the tie rod configuration will not clear the chassis.
(FYI: Only SA GTi brakes are ventilated, SA GA are not.)

The only modification you will need to make is to make a new bracket to hold the brake line to the strut. Technically you should get an engineers cert for the brake change.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
MYT BOY

ok beautiful thats everything i needed to kno thanxs dude, i kno we talked about it b4 but i got muddled up with what went with what....
ok that sounds good and it suits me very well....

on a side note, is there a different between ga and gti struts and springs, if i bought them r they r same price ?
Brayden

The struts shoudl be identical, although the factory GTi springs are stiffer. If you're buying aftermarket HD springs there will be no difference though. ;)
MYT BOY

final questions rather, will the mightyboy driveshaft fit the sa hub? as in number of splines, length etc...

also while your here lol, is there a known wheel stud upgrade as i dont like the small studs up against bigger wheels...
Brayden

SA hubs have 12mm studs. :) As for the splines fitting, I am not 100% if they are identical but they should be. The shafts themselves would obviously be different though.
Goofy[HSK]

ooh, thanks very much for this info! means i dont have to ask.. :P

only thing id need to know is will my jap alto struts bolt directly to swift hub
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
Goofy[HSK]

anyone got more details on this conversion?
pics etc.
and specific model swifts? will alto splines fit into them? or mb ones..
tesmo666

excuse my ignorance please, when you say sa struts and hubs, is that a particular year of swift?

do i just buy king coil overs?

derrr for me :P
BUNDY BOY!
Brayden

SA Swift, 1984-88. ;)
mowog

I wrecked a SA and one of the axles was marked Mighty Boy, obviously been a changeover from the wreckers, and it has the smaller wheel studs.
so the changeover should be easy.
Goofy[HSK]

got some swift hubs/brakes yesterday from a AA34S swift iirc (wtf is a SA swift...? couldnt see it marked anywhere on the compliance plates)
same spline as my alto, but looks as though the bearings and strut mount is slightly different :( :(
Brayden

Nah mate, Alto struts are shorter than Swift struts, mounts are different too as far as I can tell.
Trounced

so if im reading this correctly the swift shock towers bolt on directly ?
Brayden

No, Swift struts aren't a direct bolt on to MB hubs.