EFI conversion

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Brayden

I had an extremely rare fit of enthusiasm this afternoon and decided to start the EFI conversion on my ute.

I've broken down the inlet manifold to inspect it and work out where all the bloody boost and vacuum lines need to go, and which ones can be blocked off completely.
Carby has been removed along with all the associated mess of fuel lines.

After that I removed the fuel tank in preparation for fitting larger fuel lines and mounting a surge tank with facet pump. Managed to get fuel absolutely everywhere and as a result I now smell like I've been bathing in a bathtub of premium unleaded. :roll:
Once all the fuel side is done this week its back to the engine bay to install the ECU, which will hopefully be purchased next week. The choice has been narrowed to the two brands supported by the only reputable tuning house in my area.

Anyway just thought I would start a thread to chronicle my latest adventure. I'll be sure to update with pics as I go along. :D
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Colin

dont blame you i'm going EFI as soon as just waiting for parts to show up :twisted: :wink:
MORE BEER! :beer:
ceej

Colin wrote:dont blame you i'm going EFI as soon as just waiting for parts to show up :twisted: :wink:
I wish i could be the one saying that :cry: :P

Does this mean that there might be some Cherade carbies for a turbo setup coming on the market soon? Obviously without the turbo, but with other parts neccessery for a turbo job? If so, can i claim dibs on one when everything is up and running? :D
Garry. Nuff sed!
MYT BOY

good old f6a efi :) im glad i dont have to stuff round with all that crap.
Brayden

MYT BOY wrote:good old f6a efi :) im glad i dont have to stuff round with all that crap.
I'll be glad when I have an EFI motor with 160cc more than an F6A. :D
Goofy[HSK]

EPI ftw!! :D
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
mowog

is the facet going to have the capacity? efi usually run at much higher pressure/volume.
got a spare weber?
Brayden

The facet will only be a lift pump to the surge tank, I've already got a 300HP Bosch pump inline. ;)

I do have a spare 32/36 Weber, would require some jetting down to work on an F8B though. Might even work well with a draw through supercharger setup? $100 and it is yours. Comes with appropriate adaptor and air filter.
hatch4play

are you making a new manifold with plenum brayden?

I will have my efi manifold up for sale soon too as i have made a new one i have done my runners and flange and just have to get my plenum built :) My runners are loong :) its going to have really nice torque when i am finished!

jimbo
[url=http://tamon.edave.net/gallery/v/members/hatch4play/]View My Gallery![/url]
Injected F8B Hatch!
Soon To Be Turbo!
Brayden

Me? Make a manifold? Not bloody likely! :D

Using an Jimny F6A manifold, injectors and etc. If I was serious about making a ball-tearer I can tell you that a Kei engine wouldn't be on my radar. ;)
hatchman

going down the right path... once its efi...

all u have to worry about is oil and water... no more ripping out hair because its never running right :D

f6a sohc intake is which im currently using on the dohc f6a has a plenium temp sensor and one b4 the intercooler.

my ecu uses them for hot weather or cold weather and trims the fuel accordingly.

only thing interesting will be how is the ecu going to be triggering. via a modified standard dizzy with trigger wheel and sensor or retrofitting something similar.
Gladier

hatchman wrote:allu have to worry about is oil and water... no more ripping out hair because its never running right :D
come and play with my swift for me then .. has more efi problems than you can poke a stick at
hatchman

gti 89-98 (mk2-mk3)? if so i know.

ive have a couple. on both of them i had aftermarket ecu.

its either the ecu mucking about, throwing error codes at everything even though i installed excellent working afm and tps.

on my first one i had my aftermarket adaptronic running the whole show.
with my recent mk3 that i had, i only had a fuel only haltech which solved the common swift ecu problems with me. i disconnected the afm, cut the wires on the tps and wired that to the haltech. install a map sensor, ran the injectors off the haltech. in the end, the standard set up was only running the dizzy and firing and controlling the idle... worked beautiful
Brayden

Ordered the MicroTech today.
Evidently I don't need to worry about a trigger wheel because I'm not using sequential injection or direct fire ignition. The F6A SOHC dissy I have uses a 3 lobe magnetic pickup, which I'm told the LT8 will have no problems reading.

Fuel lines, facet pump and surge tank will go in over the weekend, then hopefully the MicroTech will show up during the week and I can start wiring it up.
Then it'll be a flatbed to the tuning house so the intercooler piping can be fabbed up and the whole thing will be finished off.
hatch4play

nice work :)

yeah the mag pickup works sweet :) just make sure you wire the pickup the right way there is a rising edge and falling edge to the magnetic pickups. Pm me if you want to know my efi setup it works a treat!

jimbo
[url=http://tamon.edave.net/gallery/v/members/hatch4play/]View My Gallery![/url]
Injected F8B Hatch!
Soon To Be Turbo!