EFI conversion

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Colin

dont feel too bad i went through 5 head gaskets just trying to get it right :lol:
MORE BEER! :beer:
Brayden

Yeah Col I know its not a major drama. In fact I can't be sure that I've even blown it to be honest. There's no water in the oil, and the plugs are all fine, but I'm getting a slight foaming in the radiator. But that could be caused by the recent refilling of the coolant system and the alloy cleaner from the inlet manifold. I'll just have to suck it and see.
I've ordered a spare gasket just in case I need to change it.

Anyhoo, last night I had a good look at the settings in the ECU and discovered some nasty surprises in the ignition map.

Static timing was 10° BTDC - okay
Idle timing was 15° BTDC - okay
Max vaccum load timing was -15° BTDC - okay
Max boost load timing was 35° BTDC - err, not so good!

No wonder it pinged when I took it for a run! So anyway, I've had a play with the settings and brought back the timing on max boost to 15° BTDC. I'll take it for a spin this arvo and see what happens.

In related news I couldn't find a suitable spot to mount the existing GReddy BOV, so I bought a smaller TurboSmart unit that will go on near the plenum. I lose the ability to plumb it back, but to be honest the amount of times the ute gets driven that is not a real concern for me!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Brayden

If the parts I ordered arrive on Tuesday I will hopefully be able to send the ute off for a tune on Wednesday, which will have it running smooth as silk.

The excitement is building! :D
Brayden

Ended up going in for a tune today, found a host of problems that prevented the job from being done. More work and more dollars to come yet!

Apparently the engine was leaning off badly under boost, and after some inspection the mechanic found the voltage was low, as was fuel pressure. At least this explains my problems with detonation.
The guys did their best job to tune it, and hell it goes well now, but until the problems are fixed it is only running at about 50% capacity.

In short I need to upgrade the alternator, fit an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, upgrade the lift pump, check and double check the fuel system, then take it back for a tune.

I forsee a busy weekend coming up for me! :lol:

But on the bright side it actually idles and can be driven (within reason), and the sound of that turbo spooling up is music to my ears!
Brayden

Fuel system upgrades have been finished, although the Malpassi RR FPR that I bought will be jammed up someones arse tomorrow. Their EFI series of FPRs are absolute rubbish, which was disappointing after using a carby type with no issues.

Anyhoo, the intercooler piping gets finished off this week, and I'll buy a TurboSmart FPR as well. That should pretty much be it as far as the EFI conversion goes.

Next up is the interior and rear bar. 8)
Jermaine

ha ha awsome.. good to see u have got it done..
Brayden

I ended up returning the Malpassi reg without incident, and bought a SARD unit from Hi Octane - who for the record are brilliant to deal with.

The ute has been back for another tune which went pretty well, although as per usual there are more problems to fix. :snigger:

- Clutch started slipping on the trip to the tuners. I suspect an oil leak from where I blanked off the fuel pump, but will have to wait and see if it continues to play up.
- Boost is spiking to 10PSI because the actuator line is too long.
- Running up to 10PSI without a BOV is causing damage to the turbo. (BOV flange is now being welded on as I type this.)
- Slight under current issue with the alternator. (Replacing alternator soon)
- ECU must be returned to Microtech to have the fan relay enabled
- Rear muffler is restricting power
ToranaGuy

Brayden,

How's the boy coming along? Have your last issues been sorted yet?

I've only just got mine back on the road..... :cry:

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Brayden

The boy is very happy, but also very thirsty. :lol: The tune is a bit on the fat side just to keep it safe until I have the money for a proper run on the dyno.

In response to the last issues I posted:

- Clutch slip was indeed caused by a small oil leak. I had removed the fuel pump from the head, and it turns out the blanking plate was right above the inspection/timing hole in the bell housing. :roll: So I fixed the leak and put a rubber plug in the hole. Problem solved!
- Boost spike was fixed by shortening the actuator line. It was running to the plenum, now it feeds back into the turbo outlet.
- BOV was fitted, and sounds great. Not quite as loud as I wanted, but grabs attention nonetheless.
- Alternator still has a slight undervolt issue, but I'll get to that in due course.
- ECU is staying in the ute, I decided to have the fitting for a traditional fan relay switch put into the radiator. Another job for the future.
- Rear muffler will be changed when I get the rear bar sprayed and fitted. It needs some plastic welding after I got a bit too eager with the dremel. :lol:

Apart from that, I've replaced a yum-cha oil pressure gauge with a nice smooth VDO unit, and bought a Bosch premium oxygen sensor to weld into the exhaust.

No other big plans until I've finished building my new garage, which won't be for a few months unfortunately.
ToranaGuy

Sounds very cool. I wish i could say i had anywhere near that much progress on ANY of my car projects! Atleast my boy is back on the road, for now. Way underpowered with the 543, but my g/f has to make do until the 800 can be rebuilt or i fit something bigger. lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|