EFI conversion

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
fritz

Are surge tanks vented?
Colin

no
MORE BEER! :beer:
fritz

So why the concern of fumes going into the cabin? - the overflow and assort other hoses are located in the 3/4 panels. :?
Brayden

Although the surge tank is sealed, there is always the chance of a tiny drip of fuel with it being under so much pressure, and I'd rather avoid the headache. A mate of mine mounted his surge in the boot of his Gemini, and it leaks one tiny drop of fuel each time he drives it, but thats enough to stink the whole car out.
Besides, as I mentioned, if the surge was mounted in behind the 3/4 panel there would be nowhere to run the fuel lines except back out into the tray or through the wheel arch - the first defeats the purpose of putting the tank in the 3/4 cavity, and the second option would be dangerous.

For me the easiest option was putting the tank in the tray. I could think of no reason to buggerise around with trying to mount it anywhere else... and that is re-inforced by my latest story. ;)

FINALLY got the fuel tank back in after re-routing the lines 3 times. With the delivery and return lines now clear of the tank bolting point I hoisted the tank back up, only to find that the fuel lines running over the top of the tank were now squashed up hard against the body of the ute. :roll: So the solution was to make up some spacers and drop the tank by half an inch.

Its amazing you know. I never really used to think that the MB was cramped for space until I started trying to boost the performance. Its only then I started to find that every bit of useable space was taken up by Suzuki when they built the damn thing! Its becoming like a big game of Tetris. :snigger:
The good part is though that this fuel system has given me enough headroom to run about 300hp - so it doesn't matter what motor ends up in the engine bay in the future. 8)

Next job is to move onto the fun stuff up the pointy end!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Brayden

Got the intercooler mounted up today, which was good until I tried to put the front bar back on. :lol:
The lack of space meant that the foggies had to go, which was unfortunate.

Still, looks pretty good. Excuse the wobbly front bar in this pic, I didn't bolt it on properly.

CoinSlot

Sexy!
[size=84][url=http://www.tamon.org/gallery/v/members/CoinSlot/]Gallery[/url][/size]
Goofy[HSK]

mmm, looks like its meant to be there :)
must be a bit more room in the mighty engine bay then mine :(
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
eDave

Nice one B!
The extra airflow from the holes won't be a problem, although would it be possible to just mount the light covers if you wanted to?

Time now for the piping?
Brayden

Dave, the option is always there to hack the back out of the foggies and have them installed just for decoration, but I have removed them completely for a couple of good reasons:

1. They would be impossible to replace if I attack them with a dremel.
2. I might find that once the cooler is plumbed in that it causes too much lag and bin it for something smaller.
3. If I go back to a smaller cooler, I will be kicking myself for damaging the lights in the first place!

So yeah, I'll wait and see how the cooler pans out and then come back to a decision on the lights. ;)

As for what comes next, well the piping waits for the tuner to fabricate before he sticks it on the dyno. I'm now moving onto cutting gaskets and working out some radiator plumbing, installing an O2 sensor, installing an ignition module and more.
I spent a large portion of Sunday putting sound insulation into the Swift, so that was burned time with the ute. *shrugs* The joys of multiple-car-motoring!
boosted_alto

Hey Brayden ! ! Good Work man ! I cancelled my EFi Project !

Damn, I've been away for too long now. Had a serious Para Gliding Accident. Not payin attention to my Suzi. Im really anxious to see your completed F8B EFi Turbo !! :D
Brayden

I'm anxious to see it too! Problem is between fixing my daily driver and Mel's Alto requiring a lot of attention I'm not getting much done!

Sorry to hear about your accident though. Not good at all! :cry:
boosted_alto

@ Brayden

Howz it going pal ?!?!? Or is it EVEN GOING?! :)

Im waiting on the delivery of a Suzuki Cultus (new) which we get here in Pakistan. It has a revised version of the G10A and is know as G10 only (dont know where'd the 'A' go). Its a carby engine.

Lets see when it comes, what potential it has to go EFi ! :lol:
boosted_alto

Oh yah, and thanks for showing your concern over the accident. I was doing Paragliding for a TV Channel here named GEO TV and had a bad landing in a Video Shooting in Thailand. DAMN WINDS ! :x
ToranaGuy

A very interesting and inspirational project you have running here! I can't wait to see it running and see what differance it makes.

I already know the basic differances you will see, owning & drive both carby & EFI cars. Easier starting, esp cold, smoother idle, easier to keep in tune. Possibly better economy due to previous reason. Plenty of other features that can be setup in a EFI comp that are nice as well. Makes me wanna Mega Squirt my mighty boy. Read a lot about the MS and would love to run one. Maybe one day.

On the subject of fuel lines.

I can say that i'm fairly sure that it's not legal to run fuel lines inside a wheel arch near the tyres these days. Once upon a time lpg installers used to run lines thru there, but if you were to have a blow out it has the potential to damage the fuel line and spray fuel over what could be a very hot tyre or brake and your asking for trouble doing that! My torana has a line thru the wheel arch, it's getting removed when i get the lpg piping upgraded to suit the new turbo motor's appetite for lpg. Current lines are just way too small. :lol:

On the subject of fuel system mods your doing atm, do they need to be engi certified?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Brayden

Nope, the only mods that need to be certified are those that change the structural dynamics, safety, performance or handling. :D

Speaking of the EFI conversion though, I think I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel! Cooler piping will be welded today, inlet manifold gasket arrives next week and except for a few other pipes and wires it is all but done.

Now I have to cross my fingers that the injectors and TPS are both in working order. :ohnoes: