amr300 on f8b

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
fritz

me217 wrote:
gremlin wrote:Have fun with fuel! :P
... i want abit of easy power. 30 kw aint enough.
It's all about kw/per kilo. Holdens are 3 times as heavy, so you've got to at least make 3 times the power. And if you have a second car, you've also got multimple regos and insurances. - Surely that money could be well spent on mightyboy kw's. :)
Brayden

jono wrote:OK, I've been thinking about doing a supercharger install for a bit now.

Perhaps Brayden can answer my questions...

With the fuel system, I'm guessing I will need a FPR as well as a lift pump? I currently have my VL pump sucking fuel from the tank. Aslo, will a surge tank be a must? I saw one on ebay which was from a VL but think it might be too big.

I'm not looking for radical performance, only a few psi of boost to get me moving a bit faster :)
Yes you will need an external FPR. With your EFI setup you will already have an FPR, but it may be for N/A.

No you don't need a surge tank as long as you keep the fuel tank no less than 1/3 full, and your EFI pump is close to the tank.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
fritz

Just a few questions.
I presume with an AMR setup, you wouldn't be able to go the draw-through route? - I dont even know if you'd want to?...

Also, unlike a turbo being heated by the exhaust - would it be necesarry to get an intercooler? :?
i presume after long periods of time the unit would heat up, but I'm not aware of any other reasons why it would heat up? - Does it share the oil supply from the engine??? (if not, how is it lubricated?)

Finally, does anyone know if the charade carbs are available new? (I cant bear the thought of a secon hand carb, and am unsure of the dramas of converting to efi) - I'm still really battling with issues relating to getting my boy running properly - indeed, I'm not even sure if I have the energy to continue with it... :(
fritz

Just a few questions.
I presume with an AMR setup, you wouldn't be able to go the draw-through route? - I dont even know if you'd want to?...

Also, unlike a turbo being heated by the exhaust - would it be necesarry to get an intercooler? :?
i presume after long periods of time the unit would heat up, but I'm not aware of any other reasons why it would heat up? - Does it share the oil supply from the engine??? (if not, how is it lubricated?)

Finally, does anyone know if the charade carbs are available new? (I cant bear the thought of a secon hand carb, and am unsure of the dramas of converting to efi) - I'm still really battling with issues relating to getting my boy running properly - indeed, I'm not even sure if I have the energy to continue with it... :(
ToranaGuy

me217 wrote:
oh i will. :D ill still be keepin the boy for that reason. but i want abit of easy power. 30 kw aint enough.

me217
In a car the weight of something that was factory fitted with a 308, yeah 30kw just isn't enough. My torana was about 1200kg & 80kw @ the flywheel. 2.8lt 6 ( 173 ). Less than 60kw @ the wheels. I'm fixing that with a turbo. :D In a car the size of a mighty boy, 30kw is quite a bit of fun, altho not all that fast. It's much better than factory 19kw!

You could always up the power a bit with super/turbo charging a F8b, as you were thinking, or go shoehorn in something bigger / more powerful. Even a bigger engine wouldn't be too bad on fuel, because it doesn't have so much weight to push around.

I wanna see someone fit up the amr300 to a f8b, esp the dyno graphs. :D

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
ToranaGuy

me217 wrote:
oh i will. :D ill still be keepin the boy for that reason. but i want abit of easy power. 30 kw aint enough.

me217
In a car the weight of something that was factory fitted with a 308, yeah 30kw just isn't enough. My torana was about 1200kg & 80kw @ the flywheel. 2.8lt 6 ( 173 ). Less than 60kw @ the wheels. I'm fixing that with a turbo. :D In a car the size of a mighty boy, 30kw is quite a bit of fun, altho not all that fast. It's much better than factory 19kw!

You could always up the power a bit with super/turbo charging a F8b, as you were thinking, or go shoehorn in something bigger / more powerful. Even a bigger engine wouldn't be too bad on fuel, because it doesn't have so much weight to push around.

I wanna see someone fit up the amr300 to a f8b, esp the dyno graphs. :D

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Almost a Mini

jono wrote:OK, I've been thinking about doing a supercharger install for a bit now.
Perhaps Brayden can answer my questions...
With the fuel system, I'm guessing I will need a FPR as well as a lift pump? I currently have my VL pump sucking fuel from the tank. Aslo, will a surge tank be a must? I saw one on ebay which was from a VL but think it might be too big.
I'm not looking for radical performance, only a few psi of boost to get me moving a bit faster :)
Having played around with both draw through and blow through carby supercharger setups, I'd have to say the draw through setup is waaaay easier to deal with. The only real disadvantage is not having the option to intercool - but at 5-8psi that shouldn't be an issue anyway.
Draw through makes carby tuning much easier and a simple water injection system can be used to overcome the lack of itercooling if required.

As sort of a summary:

Blow through requires a carb that is sealed to take positive pressure, a high(er) pressure fuel pump (essentially one capable of delivering about 5psi + boost pressure), a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, a blow-off valve, brackets etc to mount the supercharger and pulleys/belts to drive it. An air to air or air to water intercooler is an option. For a carby setup, no fancy lift pumps or surge tanks are required - your carb already has a built-in surge tank. . .

A draw through system requires a custom manifold to bolt the supercharger to the motor (as well as pulleys, belts etc), a normal carb, a normal fuel pump and you don't need (in fact, you cant use) a blow off valve or an intercooler.

In either case, a regraphed dissy would be nice but not necessary (just retard the static advance so that it doesn't ping at high load.

If I was to supercharge a MB/Hatch/Alto, I'd probably go for an AMR300 or 500 and use a HS4 (or HIF38) SU carb. Supercharger to head manifolding would be a bit fiddly due to the water jackets inside the standard inlet manifold but, other than that, it should be reasonably straight forward. . .

As for dyno tuning it. . .once again, nice but not necessary. Set it up and get out and drive it. Check plug colour and how it 'feels' to drive. . .keeping an eye on temperatures etc while you're doing it. If you were really keen, Innovate Motorsports (I think that's their name) does a wide band oxygen sensor for under $500 these days. If you used an SU carb (easy to tune) together with a wide band analyser, tuning would be quite quick and simple (and then you can hire out your analyser to other people to recoup some of the costs :D ).
Pete in Perth
1970 Citroen ID19B
1992 Suzuki Cappuccino
1966 Morris Mini Deluxe
1970 MkII Cooper S
1975 Mini Moke
1986 Suzuki Alto RS-X
1989 Nissan Pao
1989 Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16
jono

Thanks for that info mate, but I have an EFI setup so...... :)

Have decided not to bother bossting for a while now - just going to tune it N/A and maybe turbo/supercharge it in the disant future!
Speed Limited: I'm Pedalling as Fast as I Can
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

http://www.freewebs.com/fitre/
me217

ToranaGuy wrote: In a car the weight of something that was factory fitted with a 308, yeah 30kw just isn't enough. My torana was about 1200kg & 80kw @ the flywheel. 2.8lt 6 ( 173 ). Less than 60kw @ the wheels. I'm fixing that with a turbo. :D In a car the size of a mighty boy, 30kw is quite a bit of fun, altho not all that fast. It's much better than factory 19kw!
the one with the 308 still has the 308. and its got alot more then 30kw. and yeah the f8b in a boy is fun i agree. but i want something that im scared to drive. and that will have to be a fair bit more then a standard 308 to. :twisted:

me217
me217

1985 suzuki mighty boy : mods, f8b
1990 toyota mr2 gt import : mods, turbo timer, short shifter, 2.5" exhaust
1992 suzuki sierra : mods, g16b mpfi, 235's/75, snorkel & lift on the way.
ceej

me217 wrote:the one with the 308 still has the 308. and its got alot more then 30kw. and yeah the f8b in a boy is fun i agree. but i want something that im scared to drive. and that will have to be a fair bit more then a standard 308 to. :twisted:

me217
Umm... :?

Why would you want a car that you are too scared to drive? Thats just stupid IMO!
Garry. Nuff sed!
Hewball

purely cos it gets the adrenaline running
[url=http://tamon.edave.net/gallery/v/members/Hewball/][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/per_gall.gif[/img][/url]
Brayden

... until you become a statistic. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
borry

why a 308 might i ask ? probably cos they are cheap i guess.... LS1's get alot more power alot cheaper tho... something to think about i guess...

plus have a much much stronger bottom end..... another thing to think about if going to run small amounts of boost, 7psi or so....

just a suggestion

i have owned both, would never ever again own a 5L.... just my 2c worth tho....

this is all teh reason i bought a boy.... its the total other end of the rainbow... i have owned fast cars before, now i just want somethign fun to jump in and drive, 40-50kw at the wheels is all i really want, and just want to tightened up the suspension a bit and have something that handles quite well too...
me217

borry wrote:why a 308 might i ask ? probably cos they are cheap i guess.... LS1's get alot more power alot cheaper tho... something to think about i guess...
partly cause i already hav the 308 and the car to go with it. and also the 308 has more torque then the ls1 from the get go. and all i gotta do is bring the hp up abit. but ill only b goin to 400 hp atw unless i feel the need for more.

me217
me217

1985 suzuki mighty boy : mods, f8b
1990 toyota mr2 gt import : mods, turbo timer, short shifter, 2.5" exhaust
1992 suzuki sierra : mods, g16b mpfi, 235's/75, snorkel & lift on the way.
fritz

Everytime I see this thread has been updated I'm excited to see what's been added. Sadly when I check it there's talk of v8s and not amr300s... :x
I think I'm probably not alone in being keen to find out more about this topic, so to those undergoing this process, feel free to share... :) :) :)