F8 engine availability

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Crusty

The teardown of my recent purchase (86 MB with an F8) is going well - or at least the body side is.....

The engine (which will be out tomorrow) turns only about 1/8 of a rotation in either direction and there's a significant *clunk* that stops it going any further. The head is off, starter motor is out, and there's corrosion in 2 of the cylinder walls. The vehicle has been sitting for  couple of years. In short, I'm expecting the worst tomorrow when I take the sump off, so....

Are there any members/companies/wreckers that would have an engine? I'm in Cairns and MB's up here are pretty rare, I may even have the only one.. :-o

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.
Brayden

F8B engines are getting hard to source 2nd hand - particularly blocks - and the only way to get a new engine is a Chinese reproduction through Alibaba.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Crusty

Thanks Brayden, I suspected as much.
Brayden

There's a million of the things in India, but they have a law against exporting second hand parts. :roll:
Crusty

As it turns out, the reason the engine wouldn't rotate was corrosion in all 3 cylinder walls. The crank and bigend bearings are worn, but the journals seem okay.

I've honed all 3 bores and they have cleaned up reasonably well. Now to identify what size everything is and to find out if it's undergone an overhaul in the past - the sump has a Suzistore sticker on it...

Interestinger and interestinger.
TheBrewer

I'm looking for an F8B too, they are indeed rather uncommon now.  Have a couple of F5A's but fancy an 800cc for my current restoration.
If theres one available not too far from Melbourne (not the other end of the country anyway), I would be keen to hear.
Cheers all
Crusty

As Brayden said, there are plenty of chinese versions when searched on alibaba. Likewise, new blocks & heads. I think delivery times would be measured in months, though.
Brayden

Crusty wrote: Now to identify what size everything is and to find out if it's undergone an overhaul in the past - the sump has a Suzistore sticker on it.
Check the pistons for markings. Oversize are usually numbered on the face. 020 / 0.50 for 20 thou and 040 / 1.00 for 40 thou.
Crusty

You are a font of knowledge Brayden! The pistons are indeed marked 040. Do you have the markings for the main & big end bearins as well? I've been into a couple of parts supply companies here in Cairns and managed to confuse them utterly.

Current main bearing shells are marked 0.25, and the conrod bearing shells are marked US 025. 
Brayden

.25 is an oversize bearing, used when the crank has been machined.
Crusty

Thanks, figured as much. Sent a message to Suzistore and they've confirmed the availability. 

Reassembly will start very soon......
Arctic Alto

I have an alto with a reco'd F8B, only done 40k since a rebuild from suziworld.
I'm considering selling it, been sitting for around 4yrs. But has been started and driven every now and then.