MB Track

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
fritz

Couple of questions.

Can somebody advise me of what the standard rear track dimension for a MB is? - well actually I am probably more interested in the dimension between the leaf spring and the wheel at rear most point (cant be bothered dragging a tape measure from one side to the other). My 13" alloys sit about 1" from the leaf springs but I suspect the 12" steelies would be different.

Also, does anyone know if the track of a hatch setup is the same or different to that of a MB?

Ta
Josh

Same suspension configuration, albeit with different springs...
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
Brayden

I'll measure this afternoon for you Fritz, but yes your alloys would definately sit closer to the spring than the stock rims, as the offset is greater, and as the width of the rim on a FWD car increases it does so inwards. (for the most part.)

Off the top of my head though the rear track is roughly 30mm narrower than the front. (15mm per side)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
pullbackandgo

Any ideas as to why the track at the back is THINNER than the front?? I find this very strange. Is it so the engine fits in the front??
Brayden

There is no logical reason for it that I can fathom, but many Kei cars share the principle. :NFI:

FYI: The front track is 1215mm to 1170mm on the rear, so the difference is a bit more than I thought. :?
mowog

I'm not saying this is the reason, but narrower rear track is safer than narrower front track. If the car goes off the edge of the road,with wider rear there is a tendency for the rear to dig in and spear you across the road into the oncoming road train. With wider front the front wheels go off first and you have more road feel and control. A lot of the earlier Bedford vans had wide rear track and they were involved in a lot of this type of accident.
fritz

TA :-k
fritz

Just re-visiting this topic.
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The hatch uses 35mm shoes/drums at the rear. The MB uses 30mm shoes/drums at the rear.
If this is the case, then surely the the hatch would have a rear track which is 10mm greater o/a than a mb? (5mm on each side) :?: :?: :?:
Brayden

Unfortunately no. The difference in pad width is also evident on the MB, mine has 35mm shoes. The difference is the shape of the drum, not the width.