Fitting 15" rims

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
mot

yeah, thanks for the info, its a big help. i am planning on getting my guards rolled and fitting the sa gti struts and hubs anyway. so that will be good. where did you get your setup from as i have both emailed suziwest and the suzuki shop at the sunshine coast about it and its saying the emails are not goin through. info would be appreaciated.
thanks
fritz

I bought my setup from a local wreckers here. I then had the hubs modified so that the tie rod ends were mounted from the other side, and I also had the tie rod end machined for extra thread and trimmed (in standard form you cant get true alignment).

I had wicked tracking problems for a while, but I'm pretty sure, in hignsight, that it was due to a buggered wheel bearing and not the 1deg neg camber that I had. I also had a pretty poor turning circle - probably not a bad thing considering what Brayden & i have been talking about with regards to scraping on the inside gaurds.

Finally, be aware that replacing wheel bearings on that particular setup is hideously expensive. They are totally different to MB hubs in that regard.

If I had a LOT of money, I'd consider going back to that type of setup because I did like the brakes better, but seriously, dont try to do this mod on the cheap. You'll regret it if you do. :wink:
Brayden

Great advice Fritz. :thumbup1:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
mot

god dam it, thanks for the advice and info. its just my bubble has been burst big time. better being told about the cost issue rather than finding out myself though.
thanks again
fritz

Hey mot, I might be putting my lowered springs and new struts into my white boy this week. If so, I'll be able to let you know how standard steelies go with a standard setup (ie gaurds not rolled etc).
My steelies are black powdercoated, but I reckon a pursuit look (silver) would be tops on an appropriate coloured mighty. :D
- I was going to save the good stuff (koni struts etc) for the yellow mighty, But I think I am going to be taking a different approach to that car now. I'm planning to use it as a fun track type car and hopefully get involved in some local motorsport (very basic level stuff like motorkahnas etc) For that I'd really like to get some 165/55 r12's A048's http://www.polleymotorsport.co.uk/tyres/msport/A048.htm
I'm thinking with a smaller tyre, I'll be able to lower the car another inch or so over the existing 2. :)
Brayden

Lowering the car more than 40mm will adversely affect the handling because of the lower control arm/swaybar geometry. ;)

As a rule of thumb, once the lower control arm is horizontal at rest, then thats as far as you should lower.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
fritz

I dont really want to hijack this tread, but just quickly:-
I'll be getting a custom swaybar made for the yellow mighty so I'll keep that in mind when getting it manufactured. :)