Where to source engine bearings?

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
ToranaGuy

Hey guys!

I've got terminal problems with my MB's 543cc engine, i have white metal flakes in the sump oil atm, so i'm in need of a set of main & rod bearings. Might go for a set of rings while i'm down there as well.

Does anyone know where i can source the bearings & rings from? My g/f's dad reckons if we catch it quick enough, slap a new set in there the rest of the engine will live for a while longer, till i can afford to cram something bigger under the hood!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
fritz

Hey TG, I dunno where you are, but if you happen to reside in Perth you are most welcom to a f5a crank and block I am about to ditch.
I dont particularly want to get involved in posting stuff as I am pretty busy doing work and the like... Sorry.
mowog

Bearings/rings are no problem most parts places can get them. Incidentally the 4 cylinder big ends and maybe mains appear to be the same as the 3 pot, you end up with an extra shell, but can get you going in a hurry. Just check the sizes first tho to be sure.
If it has decent compression and not blowing smoke I wouldn't bother with the rings an engine can be pretty terminal before rings give bother hard to start, smokey)
But I ALWAYS replace the big ends on any car I get, first opportunity, the Suzi can be done with engine in place. A loose big end can devastate an engine.
Mains are not so important unless making thumping noise. But check the shells once you get the sump off, it could be the big ends or mains, or both. You can drop mains caps easy to check them. Pretty sure you can do the mains with the engine in as well, but it pays to replace the front oil seal on the crankshaft if you have the engine stripped down to that stage.
ToranaGuy

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm on the east coast near melb, so i'll have to pass on the block & crank.

My g/f's dad & i pulled the engine out, have the sump off, the main's are marked slightly, but still decent enough, but i'll replace them anyway, as for the big ends / con rod bearings, 2 of the 3 have pitting and wear marks on them. BUT they don't look like they were the cause of the metal in the sump. :?: They will be getting replaced also.

We have checked the oil pump for play, it seems fine but we can't open it up, those damn star screws!

While it's out, i'm also going to replace teh spigot bearing & throwout bearing as well, not to mention front & rear main seals, oil pump seal, sump gaskit, timing cover seal. Timing belt & tensioner are in good shape.

The engine checks out fine for comp, but it does burn some oil, so it must be the vavle stem seals or guides. It's not much, so i'll leave the top end alone for now.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Brayden

I reckon if you're going that far you should just rebuild the bloody thing! Will save you having to pull the motor out later!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
fritz

Spend the money on a f8b instead. :D
ToranaGuy

ROFL, i'd love to put a F8B in, or hell even a g13a & 5spd but $$$ are an issue atm, i'm not working & i've got my mortgage to pay. :-( Not to mention i need it back on the road, it's my g/f's daily driver!

I've ordered most of the parts i need, with one exception, the CONROD bearings! Mine are measuring at 32mm!, which is 6mm under size acc to places like bursons & repco. Who have 38mm as the size.

The crank is std, never been machined outside the factory, main bearings are std size acc to any parts manual, std con rods as well! So WTF is up with it? How could it be so much smaller than std? Jap import engine?

Anyone know where i can source the bearings or able to provide me with a manufacturer code or part number? The bearings has # 3F 6D printed on the shell, but no parts outlet can tell me anything about it! The Mains are std & stamped # 3F 10A

HELP!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
ToranaGuy

I've been to suzuki and gave them a part number i've found in another thread here, and they can't find it on their system, all they list is the 38mm conrod bearings.

Been searching high & low at all sorts of bearings joints, i have not turned up a replacement for it yet.

How could the conrod bearings be so much smaller than what the book says?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
ToranaGuy

I've rung suziworld, it's an import engine, and they can't get bearings anymore. Suzuki dealer says they can't get the bearings i require either.

Looks like i'm looking for another engine, f5a or f8b!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
gadj

Try www.garrmax.com.au. I can't guarantee their help but I know they helped the previous owner of my MB out with bearings for the F8B - they found Matiz bearings were suitable. Go figure!

Gadj.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
ToranaGuy

gadj wrote:Try www.garrmax.com.au. I can't guarantee their help but I know they helped the previous owner of my MB out with bearings for the F8B - they found Matiz bearings were suitable. Go figure!

Gadj.
Std mains & rod bearings are the same in the f5a, f8b, g something arather & i think the matiz as well. I'll see if by some stroke of luck they can, but i doubt it. I've either been or called about 50 places and none can get the bearings, only 2 know the bearing needed, but can't get supplies of it anymore.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
mowog

I've been through the ACL catalogue they don't list any conrod bearings anywhere near that small.
What is the mains size? you might be able to fit a standard fa crank.
mowog

but then you would probably have to change the conrods as well, easier to go for a complete motor.
ToranaGuy

mowog wrote:but then you would probably have to change the conrods as well, easier to go for a complete motor.
That's exactly right, i'd have to change crank & rods. No way std crank with fit my rods with such a small journal! Which is why in the other thread i asked for a crank & rods or a f8b & gearbox. Which you have read that thread anyway.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
mowog

will the 54 crank mains fit the motor you have? the block may be different so just getting a crank may not work, what is the diameter of the mains on the motor you have.