Brakes

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
fritz

Just a question regarding wet weather braking.

I have just recently noticed (since getting my new mags) that in wet weather my brakes can be awfull in wet weather. I think it is because the pads are at times too cold to evaporate any water splashing onto them (which is happening much more since there is a great deal of open space on the mags), and then there isn't enough pressure heat the brakes (and clear the water) when needed. Basically there is nothing utill all of a sudden it comes on strong.

I am curious to hear from anyone who has got disc rortors which have the water evactuating grooves on them?
Colin

when you know your going to brake apply the brakes lightly pre-braking to dry the rotors
MORE BEER! :beer:
Brayden

Well the slots are more designed to prevent glazing and promote heat dissipation, but I could see how they would disperse water.

To be honest after fitting them to my ute I have not noticed a huge difference except under extended use (on the track) where brake fading seemed non-existant. But that is hard to measure seeing as the rotors, pads, and fluid were all upgraded at the same time.

Actually the only thing I have really noticed is that after a trip to car lovers when using their degreaser chemicals the ute will actually stop when I leave, but again that is probably due more to the fact the pads are now a better compound and have contact surface with smooth rotors as opposed to my old grooved up ones.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
fritz

Brayden, so you've got the dba 'slotted' rotors as apposed to the 'standard' ones?

I actually thought slotted referred to the gap running down the middle (slot), but it seems that dba uses this terminolagy slightly differently.

I also notice that the 'slotted rotors don't have the groove running right to the edge like some rotors do. I guess if they dont actually clear the edge, they're can't actually be THAT proficient at clearing water? - Probably gives better initial bite though...?
Brayden

Yes I have the slotted DBA's, although obviously not ventilated due to the thin nature of the disc.

As I mentioned the slots are to prevent glazing and promote heat dissipation, the actual disc itself is no different to a standard unit except for a few slots cut into them - they're made from exactly the same material, so initial bite is no better.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.