Lowering-DIY Guide

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Mommers

eyy looking good Ceej. Keen to see what it looks like when its done.

They look like the wheels avaliable from the tempe tyres site? 13''s??
'86 Suzuki MightyBoy F5A

www.caraudioaustralia.com
ceej

Nah not Tempe, Speedy... I got a farking awesome deal on em! Bought em off eBay for $220 with low profile tires. Only thing was he only had 7 of the barrel nuts so i cant put em on till i get some more made up. :cry:

The front looks awesome now the back looks high but. hopefully i can change that quick smart! :P
Garry. Nuff sed!
hatchman

they are speedy hyperfang 2. ive got the same wheels on my laser in chrome.
Colin

its quicker and easier to remove the strut from the car and replace the spring away from the car :?
MORE BEER! :beer:
Gladier

Colin wrote:its quicker and easier to remove the strut from the car and replace the spring away from the car :?
ie instead of removing the front guard - take off the three 12mm nuts at the top of your strut tower and take off those two 17" bolts for the wheel hub.

then the entire strut will come out

Here is a word of warning. do NOT go and buy the 20$ pair of spring compressors. my uncle (mechanic) was using a set and the thread SHEARED completely off. he went and bought a 150$ pair and has never ever had a problem with em
ceej

Colin wrote:its quicker and easier to remove the strut from the car and replace the spring away from the car :?
I didn't want to have to play around with the brake lines etc. So personally, i would say that this way would be slightly quicker because you don't need to bleed brake lines and what not. The only thing that makes this way take longer is the removing of the guard, which should only take 5 mins...
Gladier wrote:ie instead of removing the front guard - take off the three 12mm nuts at the top of your strut tower and take off those two 17" bolts for the wheel hub.
I didn't need to remove the three 12mm nuts at the top of the strut tower, just the one that holds the strut itself in. Also the 2 on the hub only had to be removed because my struts were almost brand new and so they didn't retract on their own once removed from the strut tower...

All up its just apples and oranges. I would prefer to do it this way, some might prefer to remove the whole strut... :wink:
Garry. Nuff sed!
me217

i had a look at my front coils this arvo and there diff to yours ceej. there even spaced all the way through will this matter wen i get the new springs.

me217
me217

1985 suzuki mighty boy : mods, f8b
1990 toyota mr2 gt import : mods, turbo timer, short shifter, 2.5" exhaust
1992 suzuki sierra : mods, g16b mpfi, 235's/75, snorkel & lift on the way.
ceej

Nah mate, they will be fine. The new springs will be obviously different for a number of reasons. (considering they are lower etc.) My old springs would probably be different to yours too as my suspension was a hybrid setup... :wink:
Garry. Nuff sed!
me217

ok cool. this is probly gonna b my first mod as soon as i get it on the road.

me217
me217

me217

i was told that you would hav to replace the shocks as well wen doin this. cause if you dont and you corner hard. the shocks or the spring. will fall out or something like that. and that didnt sound like a good idea to me.

me217
me217

ceej

You may or may not have trapping issues, i don't, but again, i have a hybrid setup as far as shocks go. And they are fairly new.

If you have original from the factory shocks, they would be due to be replaced/renewed anyway, being 22 years old and all. :wink:
Garry. Nuff sed!
me217

ok how much do a set of shocks for the boy cost. ones that will support the 2 inch drop.

me217
me217

ceej

Well short of importing them from Japan, you are gonna need to just have yours retrofitted. There is no shocks for a MightyBoy left in Australia... Again, try doing a ~>search<~ as all of this has been covered MANY times!
Garry. Nuff sed!
fritz

Ceej, What is the nature of your hybrid setup?
ceej

fritz wrote:Ceej, What is the nature of your hybrid setup?
What do you mean by that? As in what makes up the hybrid setup?

Ummm... A whole lot of shit thrown together! :lol: :P

I have no idea as it was fitted to the car when i bought it. However i know it has parts from several car manufacturers...

I will have a look through my receipts and get back to you if i have any info on it... :wink:
Garry. Nuff sed!