Bigger Wheels that are lighter than Std.

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
jono

ceej wrote:
jono wrote:Gee, even down here in Tassie I could get 175/50 13's :lol: . You should tell them that! Although at 180 bucks a corner I decided to go with the 165/65's!
My ute is running Sime tires in a 175/50/R13 which are cheap as chips, and they still stick like shit to a rug. :wink:
Really :-o I got quoted Pirelli I think. Might have to look into that.. Thanks mate.
Speed Limited: I'm Pedalling as Fast as I Can
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

http://www.freewebs.com/fitre/
Brayden

Pirelli, Simex, Yokohama and Federal produce tyres in 175/50/R13 from memory.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
stevan_istheman

Just as a but of trivia:
175/50R13's are 2.6mm smaller
165/55R13's are 3.9mm bigger
165/65R13's are 36.9mm bigger

I love my 165/55's.. reasonable price and (pending a track day) they do everything i want them to.
195/45R14's will be sweet when i can afford them :twisted:
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
fritz

stevan_istheman wrote: 195/45R14's will be sweet when i can afford them :twisted:
The tyres, or the new gaurds you'd have to buy everytime you go around a corner? :D

Seriously though. I'd be interested in a show of hands from people who have lowered boys with 175/50/13s.
To me it sounds like trouble...
ceej

Im sitting 2" lower with 175/50/R13's. 8)
Garry. Nuff sed!
gazuga

pretty rough ride, but i wouldnt think itd be much worse than your 15s.
ive got yokohamas and like ceej said, more grip than a scared monkey.
backend wont step out even on the track without sever provocation, and the nose just goes where you point it. tis awesome
fritz

ceej wrote:Im sitting 2" lower with 175/50/R13's. 8)
And you can categorically say that there is no rubbing or anything while cornering???
ceej

If i have too much weight in the car (when i had my doof thang going on) if i hit a bump the rear would hit the inside of the guard, and if i had any more weight then they would constantly scrub, fronts seem fine but.

On some occasions when i go into full lock turning left the right digs in a little bit, but that would date back to a previous incident i had with a gutter... :?

I cant see why the combo would be any more of a drama than lowering the ute in stock format. Considering the are a smaller rolling diameter and all...
Garry. Nuff sed!
fritz

ceej wrote: I cant see why the combo would be any more of a drama than lowering the ute in stock format. Considering the are a smaller rolling diameter and all...
145 vs 175? :-k
ceej

Oh yeah, forgot about width. :lol: I was just talking rolling diameter, but still, I haven't had troubles beyond what i stated just before...... :wink:
Garry. Nuff sed!
stevan_istheman

I'll see how my 165/55's go when i drop mine.. 4mm taller shouldn't do anything but i'm not certain about the width.

Hey Ceej, where would your tyres "hit the inside of the guard" if you had any more weight?
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
fritz

ceej wrote:Oh yeah, forgot about width. :lol: I was just talking rolling diameter, but still, I haven't had troubles beyond what i stated just before...... :wink:
Cool. :)
I wasn't trying to have a go or anything, it's just that I've had it before that when I've tried something suggested that it's had unexpected results. I'm not likely to try the 13s myself, but you can imagine you'd be pretty peeved if you spent big $$$ on tyres only to find out that they do actually rub or do something they're not supposed to based on inaccurate information.
ceej

stevan_istheman wrote:Hey Ceej, where would your tyres "hit the inside of the guard" if you had any more weight?
Basically where the guard bends around under the wheel arch there is a bit sticking out, just on that. This is on my damaged side where the panel is all bent, so that MAY have something to do with it. I gave it a bit of a love tap with the mallet (BFOH :lol: ) And that improved it a bit. Keep in mind, they guards aren't rolled, so that would explain it. :wink:
fritz wrote:Cool. :)
I wasn't trying to have a go or anything, it's just that I've had it before that when I've tried something suggested that it's had unexpected results. I'm not likely to try the 13s myself, but you can imagine you'd be pretty peeved if you spent big $$$ on tires only to find out that they do actually rub or do something they're not supposed to based on inaccurate information.
Yeah i understand, but as said above, i haven't had major problems with it, but thats what i have had, no guarantee that everyone will have the same results.

As far as spending big money on tires, the SimeX tires that i am running are apparently in the sub $100's. Don't quote me on that, but they sure aren't expensive. (I bought my wheels with tires second hand.)
Garry. Nuff sed!
fritz

Yeah i understand, but as said above, i haven't had major problems with it, but thats what i have had, no guarantee that everyone will have the same results.
That's cool. I'm fine with people recommending certain combos as long as there is honesty regarding the outcomes. - I always go to great lenghts to point out the shortcomings of my experiences (if I find any) so that it doesn't cost other people when they try the same thing.
Some people dont mind mucking about rolling gaurds etc whereas others like to keep things standard. I am starting to lean towards the latter as I have learnt from mistakes on my yellow boy.
Brayden

As a side note to ceej's comments, experiences with 175/50/R13 tyres will also depend on the offset of the rims they are attached to!

I noticed that ceej's front tyres do hang outside the guards, and the rears are a nice snug fit, especially with the sub box in his ute, which tucks the rear wheels under the arch lip.

I still have pics to add to his gallery from before the ute show which illustrate this well, I will dig them out now. 8)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.