Motor sugestions

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Scully

Ive just got around to doing some work on a mighty boy ive had for a few years now and i was wondering what is a good motor to put in it. I was thinking a k6a or a f6b but im not sure what one will be easier. I can get almost all the work done for nothing so thats not to much of a drama but i want to get it on the road as soon as i can.

Any advice would be great.
jono

Search button is a good start :)
Speed Limited: I'm Pedalling as Fast as I Can
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

http://www.freewebs.com/fitre/
Scully

SQL Error : 145 Table './tamon_forum/phpbb_search_wordlist' is marked as crashed and should be repaired
gremlin

f6a is good bang for buck wise if you want turbo.
k6a is probably better if you want more techno-stuff and don't mind spending a bit more.

shame the search function's not working. There's so much more info on here than what i can regurgitate to you.
Scully

Thanks for the help mate.

The other thing i was wondering is, my ute has a flat tray and is a fair bit longer then a standard one, so i was thinking it could be nice to make it rwd.

The old man recons it shouldnt be a problem (i think he just want me to get it out of his carport ) :)
Ive been looking at some of the posts and the only thing ive found in rwd is the cappuccino.

Well i just got my gemini rego again so i got another 6 months to play around with
gremlin

Flat tray eh?
Wouldn't happen to have any pictures would you?

If you're serious about going rearwheel, might i suggest AWD. If you're going to set up the rear, you may as well use a suzuki alto 4wd engine, box and driveline, 'cause then you get the front wheels as well.

Although i think this has been covered before someone (Warren i think his name was) had done it, and it wasn't terribly easy.
On another note, anyone have any kind of contact details for him? I'd love to talk to him about/see his ute.
n2o_spark

i don't belive that going RWD using the 4WD gearbox will work properly.
iirc only a percentage of power is transferred to the rear, and at a ceratin rpm also. i've got a RS-R and i drove it for a bit in RWD mode, and then the little lever on the bod popped out and it became no wheel drive :(

now its back to 4WD
Scully

http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... op2tn3.jpg

This is a pic i got off the guy who sold it to me . I think he just lost interest.
It looks a bit worse atm since its been sitting at my parents place for a while while i saved up some cash to do something with it.
jono

8) That's pretty awesome!!

http://www.icbm.com.au/mightyboy/warren_collins.htm

This guy here has an AWD setup on his MB.... Might be the way to go, although RWD rotary would go off but lots more work I imagine...
Speed Limited: I'm Pedalling as Fast as I Can
1987 Mighty Boy
Injected F8B (love it!)

http://www.freewebs.com/fitre/
ToranaGuy

Scully wrote:http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... op2tn3.jpg

This is a pic i got off the guy who sold it to me . I think he just lost interest.
It looks a bit worse atm since its been sitting at my parents place for a while while i saved up some cash to do something with it.
I've seen a pic of that before. Very cool. Much more versatile than the std tub. But then again the std tub makes a great esky!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Scully

Well ive just found out my parents are selling up so i wont have the time to go rwd :cry: So im just going to go with a k6a. Thanks for the help guys
borry

if you cuold take pics, adn give us a detailed write up on how hard it was to fit the K6A that would be tops. i know alot of guys, myself included, are quite handy with the spanners, and actually seeing the work that goes into converting one would surely either give people enough encouragement to either try it, or know that its just too much work and would be over their heads a little...
borry

also, this is going to be stupid, but the idea of a starlet GT motor wont go away, has anyone measured one up ? you always hear of poeple narrowing the chassis rails for tubs etc etc, however i woudl imagine widening them would be a million times harder ? moving the fire wall wouldnt be a huge huge drama, its just anything else.... ? engine mounts you would haev to do anyway with fitting any new motor, drive shafts need to be done anyway... or yeah, is it just a stupid idea ?
gremlin

If you could widen the frame properly, then i see no reason why it couldn't be done.
The idea has come into my mind many a time too, it doesn't help that my sister owns a starlet and is intending on replacing her engine with a starlet gt motor soon (meaning there will be a starlet motor laying around here :twisted: ).
ceej

IIRC-the starlet GT engine is too tall for the engine bay..?
Garry. Nuff sed!