My alto won't start - help please

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
almeg

Have bought Alto 800c 1993, it hadn't gone for 3 years. Started it, it went for 15 mins then stopped.

Emptyed fuel tank changed filter, checked all electrics and fuel system all ok. have also checked compresions all 3 between 80-90 lbs, timing belt appears ok. not sure what else to do :cry: :cry: :cry:

you name and I think we have done it. [/b]
Almeg - Suzuki 91 Alto. 800cc F8b
- Suzuki 93 Alto. 800cc F8b
Trevor

Has it got spark at the plugs, did you drain carb?
almeg

Yes to both. Has plenty of spark at all 3 plugs. and yes have drained carb.
Jermaine

is it getting fuel into the cylinders?
Brayden

If it has plenty of spark and fuel then I'd be checking the ignition/cam timing and timing belt.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Trevor

does it fire or back fire at all or dead as a door nail, if it fires in crank mode then ballist resistor or coil in an MB case?
ceej

Trevor wrote:does it fire or back fire at all or dead as a door nail, if it fires in crank mode then ballist resistor or coil in an MB case?
And further on from that, fuses. Are all earths there and secure? For it to be running and just stop there would have to of been something that has come undone/loosened/damaged etc. from driving.

Also, like Brayden has said look at crank/cam timing, the belt may of jumped a couple of teeth and be just enough out to cause you trouble, but not enough to cause damage.
Garry. Nuff sed!
almeg

Thanks will try all above.

when cranking, with pumping the throttle and choke fully out, on a lively battery, it all but starts. It fires but won't catch

thanks meg and alastair
CHooKMaN

I think I'd be checking the timing stuff as Brayden said... before I tried cranking it over again. You can do lots of damage to the internals if the timing has slipped.
mowog

it did run for 15 minutes. I would be stripping the carby down it could have gunge in it that ran for long enough to gunge up the jets. but first I would make sure it doesn't have 2 fuel filters, one near the tank and one on the bulk head. but do check the timing just to be safe.
Trevor

Check cam timing,set static dissy timing ( ie engine on TDC ign on advance dissy till you see a spark at the points) should get you close to correct ign timing.Theres also a gauze filter in the carby in let pipe and try starting with a can of flammable spray, I use carb cleaner and if it runs on that then you got a fuel problem