Alto Works RSX Servicing (F5A)

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
gilly

I think its time I serviced my Alto, but I dont really know where to start with these engines. I also dont know how many kms my RSX has done (0dometer shows 24,000), but its only a 5 digit odometer so it could be 124,000.

Im pretty sure my Works RSX has the F5A engine (Its a 546cc turbo). Someone correct me if Im wrong here.

So my questions are:
- what oil is reccommended? Brands and types would be idea.
- what oil filter part number?
- how about the air filter? where should I get this from?
- the cooling system is a bit average (cant cruise at over 80 without it heating up), so I will probably flush and replace the coolant. Maybe my radiator is blocked too?
- anything else that is recommended?

Mechanically it runs really well, the only issue is the cooling system as I mentioned.

While Im at it, which button or switch turns on the spotlights? I cant seem to find it!
JohnnyB

Hi Gilly,

on my F6A turbo i have a V07 oil filter, and with the spotties on my Cervo Mode there is a switch on the left hand side of the steering column. They only work when the parkers or head lights are on.

With "the cooling system is a bit average (cant cruise at over 80 without it heating up)" how hot is heating up?
[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/jbalki69/CervoModeSmall.jpg[/img]
toy550

I have a MB running the alto rsx gear in it, (F5A Turbo). I found out when i was doing my first service that most parts like oil filter, leads and spark plugs were the same as the standard Australian F5A which came out in the MB or Hatch.

I went to Auto One to get my parts for the first service, and one of the sales rep came out into the carpark to have a look at the engine so that we could match up the right parts.

Most automotive shops should be pretty helpful with that sort of staff.
gilly

thanks guys for the info.

The temperature guage was going up to about the 2/3rds mark, maybe even close to 3/4. It normally sits just below half when im cruising around the city, even on a hot day.

What type of oil do you guys recommend?
1988 Suzuki Alto Works RSX F5A Gearbox - FOR SALE!
JohnnyB

Im guessing when cruzing its a radiatior problem.

Call your local radiator guys and have a chat to them and tell them the problem the will be able to tell ya

with the oil, not sure to me oil are oils (i can see people cringing now!)
[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/jbalki69/CervoModeSmall.jpg[/img]
Brayden

I run semi-synth Penrite HPR 10-40 in my turbo F8B. Seems to be the right fit for me.

If you've got overheating problems then get your cooling system and radiator professionally flushed and filled with fresh coolant.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
gilly

I reckon it might cheaper just to buy a new radiator - last time I had one flushed and cleaned it cost around $200. But then again the guy came to my house and pulled it out himself.

Could I get a brand new one for under that price, or would a secondhand one from a wrecker be garuanteed to be flow tested with no blockages?
Brayden

Unless the turbo radiator is the same as the local model then I don't like your chances of picking up a used replacement. Even if you could they are usually not even guaranteed to hold water! :lol:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
stevan_istheman

Calibur told me to have a quick look on ebay for new alloy radiators...

http://search.stores.ebay.com.au/AT-RAC ... 70QQsofpZ0

You'll have to do the homework and see if any of them will fit. :wink:
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
gilly

thanks for that, ill take some dimensions tomorrow. From what I recall though its a tiny radiator! So Im not hopeful at all of finding a new one!
Goofy[HSK]

a couple of months ago I saw a new alto radiator on the bench at supercrap auto thebarton
was around 300ish I think
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
Goofy[HSK]

there's a alto works steering wheel on ebay atm also gilly - $73ish delivered
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
gilly

thanks Tony! Hopefully no one else bids on it, im desperate for a new steering wheel!
gilly

Goofy[HSK] wrote:there's a alto works steering wheel on ebay atm also gilly - $73ish delivered
I got it! Thanks heaps for letting me know about this.
gilly

toy550 wrote:I have a MB running the alto rsx gear in it, (F5A Turbo). I found out when i was doing my first service that most parts like oil filter, leads and spark plugs were the same as the standard Australian F5A which came out in the MB or Hatch.

I went to Auto One to get my parts for the first service, and one of the sales rep came out into the carpark to have a look at the engine so that we could match up the right parts.

Most automotive shops should be pretty helpful with that sort of staff.
Hey, what oil and filter did you use?

Is there a big difference between the F5A, F6A, and F6B? I guess what Im getting at is would the oil used in the others with good results also be fine to use in the F5A?