Alto Works RSX Servicing (F5A)

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Brayden

I would recommend Penrite HPR10 or HPR15 with a Valvoline V015 or Ryco Z125 filter.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
gilly

Brayden wrote:I would recommend Penrite HPR10 or HPR15 with a Valvoline V015 or Ryco Z125 filter.
thanks alot for that Brayden. Other than the price, whats the difference between the two?

My Alto has either 120,000kms or 220,000kms on it and suffers a little but of lifter/tappet noise.

Oh and how much oil does the F5A (543cc) hold?
1988 Suzuki Alto Works RSX F5A Gearbox - FOR SALE!
gilly

next question...

How do I access the oil filter in order to replace it? (ie do I need to remove anything to be able to get access to the filter?) It almost looks as though I need to remove the front bumper.
JohnnyB

Take the number plate off :)

There should be a hole you can stick your hand through and grab it.
[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/jbalki69/CervoModeSmall.jpg[/img]
gilly

I actually tried that already, the hole is about 3x5 cm so theres no way i can reach in there.

I guess I could cut the bumper but not too keen on that.
JohnnyB

gilly wrote:I actually tried that already, the hole is about 3x5 cm so theres no way i can reach in there.

I guess I could cut the bumper but not too keen on that.
Bugger, on my Cervo, the number plate is off to the side as well and there is a hole 100mm x 100mm (or so) behind the number plate.

Can you get to it from under the car?
Brayden

You should be able to reach the filter from between the front crossmember and the sump. It will be tricky and you might need a spring loaded small filter remover to get at it but it can be done.

Suzuki didn't make changing such simple items overly difficult, unlike me who decided to stick a dirty great intercooler in front of the filter, so now I have to pull the entire front end off to do a filter change. :roll:
gilly

there really is no space in between the crossmember and the sump. Perhaps its a bit different on a Mightyboy Brayden?

I think ill just remove the front bumper, it seems the only way. Ill start another thread on this.

I hate being new to a type of car and knowing nothing about them! I knew my lancer gsr backwards.
Brayden

It might be different on a MightyBoy, but I was talking about doing an oil change on the missus' Alto. I can get my hand between the front crossmember and sump. Hmmm, I'll double check to see if there's another way when I get a chance.
JohnnyB

You could get it from the top, but you will have to take off half the turbo stuff, air filter pipe and the pipe to the intercooler......
gilly

I thought about going via the top but there seems a crazy amount of stuff to remove, and even if I did remove all that it would be pretty tight.

I ended up removing the front bar which wasnt too difficult in the end.

There is an oil line in the way though that needs to be removed, so Im just wondering if this is pretty safe to remove? I think its the oil line to the turbo, but I really have no idea - because I dont know what it is I dont like the idea of removing it without knowing the consequences...

So is this line safe to remove temporarily?

Jermaine

well yeah if ya dont start the engine when its disconnected or forget to refit it
ceej

Looks to be either the turbo's oil or coolant drain/return. In any case it is safe to remove, just means you are gonna have a bit of oil if there is any left or a gush of coolant, if thats what it is for. The oil drain sits above the sump's oil level so it won't be full of oil. :wink:
Garry. Nuff sed!
Brayden

Yeah its the oil drain hose. Safe to remove, just remember to put it back. :lol:
gilly

Brayden wrote:I would recommend Penrite HPR10 or HPR15 with a Valvoline V015 or Ryco Z125 filter.
Turns out the Z125 is way too wide! It probably fits only just, but would mean youd have to remove the alternator to be able to take the filter off next time.

The filter I removed was a Ryco Z443, so Ill see if autobarn will let me swap the Z125 for this.

Thanks guys for your help so far, really appreciate it.

I also need to do something about the air filter. Is it normal for the bottom/lower half of the airbox to have oil in it? I freaked out when I saw that, the bottom half of the filter was pretty drenched too. Not sure if I should get a standard replacement filter or just stick a pod on it.