F5A gaskets again. . .

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Almost a Mini

Getting closer to finding a head gasket for my RS-X. . .of all the places it's a company in the UK (Cappuccino Sport) that looks like they'll be able to supply a genuine Suzuki gasket.
Now for a question. . .
If you have a look at this document:
http://www.gaskets.com.tw/data/pdf-cata ... uki-01.pdf
you'll see that there are several (about eight, I think) different head gaskets for F5A motors. . .
You'll also notice that each of the gaskets has a different 'tag' on it which hangs out the back of the head/block join (below the inlet manifold). These are shown on the bottom edge of each of the gasket pictures in the above .pdf (you'll see that some gaskets have one narrow tag, one wide tag, two tags or two tags, one with a hole etc).
Now, does anyone know if Suzuki uses these tags as an identifier for the gasket fitted to a particular motor? It seems likely that they do because each type of gasket seems to have a different tag, and they can be seen without dismantling anything. . .
So what does anyone think?
I don't want to go ahead and order the wrong gasket - at 33 pounds plus shipping, mistakes are a bit expensive.
Thanks,
Pete in Perth
Almost a Mini

For anyone who's interested - I managed to get hold of a full set of DOHC turbo F5A gaskets via an English company called Cappuccino Sport.
The guy there, Dany, was a great help in sourcing the bits. He has contacts in Japan somewhere and is able to provide genuine Suzuki and Suzuki Sport Japan bits and pieces.
Prices are reasonably high ($300 for a full gasket kit) but given that I couldn't get gaskets anywhere else at all, any price at all works out cheap. . .and delivery is extremely quick - I got the gaskets from Japan in two days.
Now I need to work out if I can afford the SuziSport suspension setup for the Alto. . .screw-adjustable shocks, heavy duty lowered springs and adjustable strut tops. . .suprisingly, only about $1200 (plus freight). Given how difficult it is to get decent quality Alto/Mighty Boy suspension gear locally at any price, that doesn't sound too bad to me.

Pete
Brayden

I assume you mean SuzukiSport suspension mate?
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Almost a Mini

Ooops, yeah, correct - Suzuki Sport.
Only thing that worries me about getting the full Suzuki Sport suspension setup is that Japanese-spec 'sports' springs tend to be rediculously stiff. Our Cappuccino has Suzuki Sport springs with KYB shocks and it's an absolute boneshaker. . .
This might be OK in Japan - I assume they have billiard-table smooth racetracks and roads - but if I'm going to be running the Alto on Barbagallo Raceway (which is pretty bumpy) it would be skipping all over the place.
I might see if I can get the shocks on their own, and source lighter springs locally. . .should make shipping considerably cheaper too!

Pete
gazuga

got an email adress or phone number for this guy?
no one in australia seems to be able to find me a timing belt...
Brayden

F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
gazuga

yes well.... shut up :P

guess i should of actually searched or something first
mowog

Save the old gaskets I can give the name of a crowd I think in Adelaide who can make head gaskets and so on to order.
I didn't put it up before because you did not have a sample.
Almost a Mini

mowog wrote:Save the old gaskets I can give the name of a crowd I think in Adelaide who can make head gaskets and so on to order.
I didn't put it up before because you did not have a sample.
Yep, looked into this (there's a company here in Perth that does the same thing) as well as having the block o-ringed and using a custom-cut copper head gasket - but both options were more expensive than getting the genuine Suzuki bits through Cappuccino Sport.

Pete
Almost a Mini

gazuga wrote:got an email adress or phone number for this guy?
no one in australia seems to be able to find me a timing belt...
Is this a belt for the 543 or 547cc F5A? And I assume it's DOHC? Mick from SuziWorld managed to get a belt for my 543 motor - this is a 25mm wide 129 tooth belt, Suzuki part number 1276-53A19. DON'T just match up a 129 tooth belt from a Dayco or Gates catalogue - the Suzuki belt has a much narrower tooth pitch than most belts. Gates do list a 543cc F5A belt in their catalogue but I was going to have to buy the full production run of 100 belts if I wanted them to make me one. . .be prepared to pay though - the genuine Suzuki belt cost me $160. . .
If it is a 547cc DOHC motor, I *think* they use a 132 tooth 25mm belt (don't take this as gospel, though, I could be wrong), which is the same as an F6A. . .I managed to get one of these for our Cappuccino from SuziWest here in Perth.
All this being said, I would think Dany from Cappuccino Sport would be your best bet - you will pay a bit for freight but you'll get the bits fast. . .

Hope this helps,
Pete in Perth
gazuga

for f6b 658cc 4cyl, 145 teeth.. closest we found was a 146 toothed belt, which is a last resort type o thing..
the guy at suziwest just laughed and said no chance, similar with suziworld, suziworx just said no idea cant help bye, derek at suzisport was most helpful but hes come up with nothing in a month and is now on holidays and i want the engine back in soon..
mowog

Can you just swap top and bottom pulleys? even if you had to pay to have them adapted/made it might be easier/cheaper in the long run.