hatch candy apple red respray

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
hatchback of notre dam

after picking up my 100hp at the wheels hatch:P i noticed that the years had not been kind ,and neither had the hailstorm it was subjected to, so i decided to give it a new paint job to match its new engine:) it should be all finished and back together sometime this week but here are some photos of the progress so far:) i decided to remove those little ventilation things on the rear
panels for a cleaner look:)
Last edited by hatchback of notre dam on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hatchback of notre dam

Image[/img]
hatchback of notre dam

toy550

It might just be my computer, but i cant see any of the pictures... :NFI: :NFI: :NFI:
mightyboy

are you a spray painter by trade? cause the graphics on the old job where nice as well. that tailgate looks a bit dry though :wink:
[img]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/purple_monkey_fish/mightyboy.gif[/img]
Jermaine

lookin good.. yeah those graphics were cool
mightyboy

well i didnt paricuarly like them, but as a spraypainter (apprentice) i can appriciate nice work. and from what the photos show, the airbrushing looks good 8) i plan to study airbrushing at tafe next year.
[img]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/purple_monkey_fish/mightyboy.gif[/img]
hatchback of notre dam

thats actually the first car ive painted lol, ive been practising on computer cases and stuff for a few months, those old airbrush flames are from like 3 years ago and due to some extensive door rust and a hail storm the paint job was pretty much irrepairable , my cousin did all the painting and flames and i didnt really think they suited the car as much as id hoped, i mainly just wanted to avoid driving the car around half black with flames, half primer which i think looks terrible:P, i only spent like $300 on materials which i think is pretty cool:), i havent put the clear coat on yet ill post some pictures when i do

here is a pic of the hatch in its prime lol, albeit with 1\5 the power
mightyboy

how did the candy work for you? from what i understand its a tricky thing to work with.

and what engine convertion have you done to give it a 100 horses

edit-

how did you remove those vent things in the back of your car, cause i can still see them under the paint!
toy550

Do you have any pics of the engine bay?? What motor did you put in it?
Brayden

The engine is a twinkie F6A that hatchman installed. It was previously in an MB belonging to another bloke and made something like 67kw ATW using a custom manifold, adaptronic ECU and RHB32 turbo.

It wasn't the prettiest setup, but it made decent power.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
hatchback of notre dam

to remove the vent things i just filled the hole with body filler and sanded it smooth lol, and yes candy is horrible to work with lol mainly because it shows up every single imperfection like a magnifying glass and i got one run on the front guard and you cant just sand the run out like normal, because the candy layer will have different thicknesses which just make it look mottled and horrible, so you have to sand it back down to the silver base coat, and youll definitely go through to the primer in some places especialy on a curved surface like that, so you have to paint it silver again, trying not to get metalic overspray all over your other surfaces, then paint it with candy again lol, that one mistake cost me like 7 hours to fix haha:P crazy. ill take some photos of the engine conversion as brayden said its not the nicest looking engine lol, but im getting a mirror polished intake plenum fabricated for it because the factory one looks terrible and i think it will make it alot more presentable. and with new exhaust, new intercooler piping and bigger fuel lines it put out 70KW
on its last dyno tune :-o , holy crap haha so like 93 hp but i rounded up:P id say its about %50 complete lol, you guys will be scared when you see it done , i hope anyway :D
hatchback of notre dam

ImageImage
i havent had a chance to buff it yet so its currently in matt finish
Brayden

So how difficult was it to get an engineers certificate for the conversion? I'm especially interested because it has an aftermarket ECU, which are usually difficult to get past emissions testing.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.