Idle air control valve

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Almost a Mini

What exactly does an idle air control valve (on an EFI motor) do?
OK, I've worked out that it controls the idle :D but is it only really present to keep a steady idle when things like aircon are switched on and off. . or does it work dynamically to maintain a set pressure difference across the throttle plate at idle or something?
Any info would be a help.
Thanks
Pete in Perth
Colin

it dose what it says it controls the amount of air bi-passing the butterfly to keep a steady idle,,the computer (ecu)uses the imput from the various sensers to send the signal to the iac motor
MORE BEER! :beer:
Almost a Mini

Bummer. . .so I guess that means I cant remove it to simplify things in the engine bay a bit. . .
The F5A in my Alto doesn't have an IAC motor as such (I assume you mean an electronic stepper motor that directly controls the throttle plate?), it only has a couple of solenoid valves - one with a screw-adjustment, that provide an air connection across the throttle plate.
Seeing as my Alto is not going to be used on the road, and I've removed the aircon, I was hoping to be able to get rid of the whole system and just set a basic idle via the bleed screw on the throttle body.
I wonder why the car needs two solenoids? I'm tidying up the wiring at the moment (weeding out the aircon wiring etc) so it will be interesting to see where the solenoid wires go. . .
Cheers,
Pete in Perth