Help with RWD Alto Works rear end

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Brayden

Goofy[HSK] wrote:My research says no to that Brayden 8)
All beam axle :salute:
I'll bow to your knowledge mate. ;) Could've sworn I saw pics of a mid-90's model Alto with IRS. I'll have to delve my image archive.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Jermaine

he he sorry to be a smart ass jarrod.. but they r talkin about the diff... thats between the 2 rear wheels lol
stevan_istheman

Ok then,
While we're on the subject of rear diffs...
What is the ratio in the back of an alto works AWD?
And is it the same as a carry?
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
mightyboy

he...opps :oops: i meant to type diff, but i was thinking bout the gears and ratios when i was ttyping and accidently typed gearbox. sorry. but im sure it still applies. wouldn't you be able to have stronger internals built into the existing diff housing?
[img]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/purple_monkey_fish/mightyboy.gif[/img]
Goofy[HSK]

stevan_istheman wrote:Ok then,
While we're on the subject of rear diffs...
What is the ratio in the back of an alto works AWD?
And is it the same as a carry?
4.705 I reckon
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
raydevil

do the Carry diff have the same vicous drive in the rear diff as the Altos??? or are they direct???

(that would be part 27470 in the diagram) I had to modify mine to be direct drive....
raydevil

I'm still in the process of testing out the car before going into some more hardcore mods for professional drifting...but it looks promissing...!!

If everything goes to plan. I'll send all my tranny and diff internals for some cryo treatments...but i first need to start with a good foundation.

I've build some killer pro drift car projects before but this is my first Kei car...and I love that thing...!! Hope i can make it happen!

I'll probably ask you guys a ton of questions during the process...if you dont mind!!!
Al_Zhiemer

Personally i think the easiest solution that will give the strongest out come would be to find a 3/4 tonne or 1 tonne axle (as has been suggested the suzuki carry rear diff or simular) with the ratio's your looking for and have an engineer shorten it.

The biggest draw back i see is the amount of power you are making. by putting a heavier, stronger rear axle in to it, also takes more power to drive it. you may end up having a stronger rear but at the sacrifice of drifting ability.

Fit a nissan SR20, 5 speed manual and a shortened toyota hilux diff... you will have all the drifting power you need and bullet proof :lol:
Drive: 1997 Toyota Starlet... (the incognito mobile)
1985 Suzuki Mighty Boy, currently being restored.
1995 Nissan GT-R33

Why doesn't the Gene Pool have life gaurds??
raydevil

nahhhh...i'm not to much of an SR20 engine guy...been there/done that...now i want to try somethin new! but thanks for the suggestion.

I was thinkin more motorcycle engine...Hayabusa would be my top choice...or somethin else...we'll see.

How much boost can those twin cam F6A take???
Brayden

With the right internals it will take over 20PSI.

To answer your other questions, the Carry/Every has no viscous coupling. Being RWD it doesn't need one. If you want tall ratios then go for a Carry diff/axle arrangment, but if you want it short, then an Every (JDM Carry) would be the way to go.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
raydevil

Thank Brayden. Thats some helpful infos... There is a guy not to far from here that imports some Carrys and other Kei mini trucks for off-road use...i'll give him a call tomorrow to see if he as some diffs laying around.

I'm currently running 16-17psi of boost. Stock form was already 13psi so i figured that a couple more would'nt hurt it. There is some kind of ECU/wiring swap in it and it came with some 295cc. injectors that are not installed. I know that this car used to be raced hard in Japan. I have a Suzuki Sport racing suspension on it, A locked rear diff, A Roll cage, A VERY large oil cooler, a racing clutch, 2 1/4 inch turbo back exhaust...and more.
Yes...I know...i'm drifting a kei car....!!!
mightyboy

now i want to see pics.... please!!! :pray:
[img]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/purple_monkey_fish/mightyboy.gif[/img]
Al_Zhiemer

Something new??

This is what i'd like to try in my mighty boy, maybe not practicle but i'm damn sure it would be a lot of fun.

http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm

And i guess it is sort of hyabusa powered :D
Drive: 1997 Toyota Starlet... (the incognito mobile)
1985 Suzuki Mighty Boy, currently being restored.
1995 Nissan GT-R33

Why doesn't the Gene Pool have life gaurds??
Goofy[HSK]

raydevil wrote:do the Carry diff have the same vicous drive in the rear diff as the Altos??? or are they direct???

(that would be part 27470 in the diagram) I had to modify mine to be direct drive....
isn't that bit just a free weight for the tailshaft to stop it wobbling when in FWD mode - when 29241 is not engaged with 29242
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
raydevil

Nope thats a viscous coupler....a least in mine it is....
Yes...I know...i'm drifting a kei car....!!!