Suspension noise

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
fritz

I was hoping anybody who has lowered suspension in their boy could perhaps help us.
I am finding that I am getting a little bit of noise from the front suspension when I go over kerbs, speed bumps & the like. Basically I am trying to find out if any you you guys are having the same problem?
- The guy @ my local suspension joint suggested that it may well be the springs binding as they compress. This seems possible as I did detect slight scuffing between coils when I origionally installed them.
eDave

Strut tops?
Make sure they're tight too..

Anyone know where to get new strut tops from? I could do with a net pair.
Josh

Same here! :shock:
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
Colin

what does the noise sound like?
MORE BEER! :beer:
fritz

Hmmm... I'll have to double check the strut tops tomorrow...

The noise is sort of a gentle k-cluck type. Not a severe type of noise that penetrates through the chassis. It actually sounded like the spring was moving around on its seat, but I have been assured that they dont do that when loaded. When I look at the springs, they are sitting as they are supposed to.

I'd say you could probably get genuine bits. I could only source genuine parts when I was chasing lower control arm bushes for mine.
Colin

check the top nut is tight and if the springs are diferent rate springs be sure the tight coils are at the top.and check the diameter of the spring if it's too thin it will move around a bit
MORE BEER! :beer:
Brayden

Sounds like the springs are coming unseated during rebound. I had that problem, although only during excessive suspension travel (I.E. jacking the car off the ground)
To solve the problem I had my new struts machined down 30mm to compensate for the lowered springs.

You're using the complete SA GTi strut/brake combo right? Could be the tie rods banging on the chassis rail.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
evilgidget

I've found through the years that springs do move slightly as they settle if they're newly fitted. Also check the bushes connecting the swaybar to the lower suspension arm
Brayden

evilgidget wrote:I've found through the years that springs do move slightly as they settle if they're newly fitted. Also check the bushes connecting the swaybar to the lower suspension arm
Yes, and check the ball joints on the lower control arm too for that matter. (My ute made a slight knocking noise when Whiteline forgot to do up those bolts - which could have killed me.)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.