FWD to 4WD or 4WD to FWD conversions

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
gilly

So in my quest to find a replace FWD gearbox for my Alto RSX, I have considered a couple of crazy options - just wondering how viable either of these are.

1. Convert my FWD alto to 4WD using a donor alto RSR (turbo 4wd). I would get an unregistered/uncomplied alto RSR, and put the engine and gearbox in, as well as driveshafts and everything else for the rear wheels.

I have followed some of these 4WD conversions on FWD mitsubishi lancers, using evo gear, and its a huge job. You have to cut out the rear floorplan, weld in the evo floor, huge structural changes etc.

So my question is, is it as big of a job as this with an alto? or is it all a 'bolt-in' job if you have a complete donor car you can transfer everything from?

2. My next option is simply using a 4WD gearbox, but converting it to FWD. I have heard this can be done, but takes a bit of mucking around. So what exactly needs to be done to it? Is it risky? How many hours should it take a mechanic to do this? Any extra parts needed?
1988 Suzuki Alto Works RSX F5A Gearbox - FOR SALE!
Brayden

In all honesty you would be better off buying a 4WD Alto with a stuffed motor and putting the motor out of your current car into it.

I haven't seen an Alto 4WD box converted to FWD, but if it is anything like a Cultus box it should only be a matter of pulling the pin that links the rear drive transfer, removing the transfer case and fitting a blanking plate. The mounting brackets for the box itself may also be different, and there will always be other snags that creep into the job. (Driveshafts not fitting, etc)

End of the day I would just rebuild your current FWD box or import another one through Import Monster.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
vinnie

DOnt know much about where my engine came from, it has the original dash steering wheel etc if that might help. when i got the engine it had the original gearbox which was the AWD, but just had the rear assembly removed. not too sure how this was done. ill try to answer more Q's if you have any