Few problems.

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
Jake.G

My 88 carry started getting abit hard to start recently, doing all the same things i usually have no troubles with but it just seems to not want to start.

once its hot it starts straight away without choke.

ive been having to roll start it in the mornings.

also where can i find my flywheel? we went to adjust the timing on the w.e but couldnt find my flywheel for the light.

Cheers, Jake.
Brayden

A mate had the same problem with his SC. He had the carby rebuilt and it was aces. But check the typical things like points and such.

Flywheel should be accessed through the bellhousing just to the rear of the distributor.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Nehemiah

As Brayden said, sounds like a carby problem...

As for the flywheel:
Ok, so it’s not an 88 carry motor, but the inspection point is the same in both cases.

Look on the top of the gearbox in the photo above and you can see the hole (about a 50 cent piece in side with a D shape in the casting around it).

By removing the inspection plate behind the front seats in your van you will be able to see a similar hole in the top of your gearbox too. It came from factory with a rubber plug in it; often they are lost but be aware that it may be plugged.

If you rotate the crank the flywheel will turn and at top dead centre you will see timing markings stamped into the edge of the flywheel.

I would change the points, plugs, condenser and rotor (if they have not been changed recently) and then ensure the timing is correct. If it’s still running rough have the carby rebuilt.

Sam.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2744]Can a G15A DOHC engine fit into a Carry Van? Short answer...Yes. Click for the long answer...[/url]
Jake.G

cheers mate.

very helpful.

i had a look at the plugs and they were clean as. but i might grab some new ones anyway.

and checked the points and apparently they were normal.

the timing is a bit too advanced at the moment but i was just gonna wait till i new where the flywheel was and do it properly with the light etc. was starting best with it where it is now but its deffinately abit too advanced.

will get the timing right this weekend and see if that fixes the problem.
Jake.G

on the highway home tonight it started jumping n shit and by the time i got home it was like dead.

cant push the accelerator past say 1/4 or it bogs real bad and would stall if i held it there. so just cruised to the machenics and left it there for them to look at tommorow.

im guessing this was caused by my timing being out.

not looking forward to the bill...
Jake.G

all good.

was just my spark coil wire thing. slowly breaking and it finally broke and thats when my van stopped. got a new one and its running great.

had a crash tonight and thought we were gonna die. straight over a double polled road sign thing and tough old carry hardly got a mark.

im just happy weve got our legs :D
Nehemiah

:-o Good and bad news there... Nice to hear its running again... Although I wouldn’t recommend taking on inanimate (or animate!) objects in a vehicle where you ARE the crumple zone.

Sam.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2744]Can a G15A DOHC engine fit into a Carry Van? Short answer...Yes. Click for the long answer...[/url]
Jake.G

yea not something id like to do again. just lucky it wasnt as bad as it could have been. eg. instead of it being a sign it could have been a telegraph pole...

is there anyway i can get stiffer springs or something to decrease body roll?

i am planning on lowering the back with lowering blocks and leaving the springs uncut. would that work?
Brayden

Problem with the Carry is that it has a high centre of gravity. If you stiffen up the suspension then body roll turns into wheels coming off the ground.

But to answer your question, lowering blocks won't reduce body roll.
Nehemiah

*sigh* if only someone would make a GP flair body kit!
13 x 8's here I come! :lol:

Jake.G

haha. batmobiles...

i was planning on buying some rims. (14x6 watanabe's) and lowering the back a few inches and possibly the front.

i understand what your saying about the wheels coming off the ground but would lowering it also lower the center of gravity or would it just make it worse?
Brayden

Yes it would lower the COG, but it also brings you closer to the bump stops, which can cause issues if you bottom the suspension out on a corner.
Jake.G

i was gonna give them a trim too. (only a bit) it doesnt look like theres much that can hit/cause dammage. (in the back)

and its not to race just to make it look abit better and abit stiffer in the corners.

is there anywhere you can buy stiffer springs or anything?
Brayden

King Springs should be able to supply something for the front, and I know Lovells do custom leaf springs.
Jake.G

ok motor poo'd itself again.

not going to bother fixing this time.

am getting a new car but would still like to put another motor (something more reliable) in the carry and keep it as a second car or possibly sell it in the future.

is there any newer motors that can go straight in without any issues or am i dreaming?