Few problems.

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
Brayden

SuziWorld is in Melbourne, and they do exchange F8B motors for around the $1200 dollar mark, G13BA for about $1600 from memory. I'd put an F10A in that ballpark.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Karu

$3000 for the same thing, reco/replacement. I don't look forward to anything happening to mine. I would find myself a F6 turbo or F8 if I could be successful. Although I spent a long time searching for an F8a without success in 1994, so I would imagine they are very hard to find today.

It would be worth seeing if a Suburu engine would fit I reckon. Might find you get change from three grand
Karu

I am starting to believe that a rotary engine might be the only alternative. The G15B looks a huge expensive job. Maybe a G13A might be a good fit, but then I am certain it is going to need a side draught carby and if that is possible and the G13 sits at the correct angle then we might have success. I love the F10A, but for a couple of things. 1] I am sure mine loves drinking lots of petrol (the carby kit may have fixed that, if it fixed it at all) And 2] Parts seem very hard to find. I truly want to be able to just enjoy this van, but it is swallowing up a large sum of my finances and it still doesn't go.
Brayden

You think it drinks fuel now, wait till you put a rotary in it and it drinks fuel by the schooner... and spits apex seals every other week.
Karu

I know about the thirsty rotary's I never thought about the gearbox coz I was too busy thinking about an engine tiny enough to fit in.

If we Carry owners with F10A's have to rely on finding spares for these engines then we could be in trouble keeping them on the road. I may have mentioned on a previous post that I was in my Magna doing everything I could to keep up with a Carry; it was an earlier model than mine and it may have had an 800cc in it. But even that is not an option because they are so hard to find.

I found a Chinese company that claims they make the F10A. I don't know if anyone else has tried, but there is no price and you have to add it to "your basket" so I do that thinking it should have a price there, but no price. Instead you have to become a member, tell them your website address, business name and a long winded rant all about your business. So I think to myself, "why not" I will just make up a business name and spiel and then the worse they will have is my email address. I have heard nothing! I found another Chinese company selling their built F10A carby's, I went through the same process and you guessed it, I have heard nothing.
Brayden

I just don't understand how you're finding it so hard to get parts. SuziStore.com.au have a full inventory of parts for the F10A, and anything that they have listed Mick at SuziWorld also has access to.

If all else fails call Suzi Auto in Brisbane and ask for Dave. He has an F10A SuperCarry that he was supercharging, and never complains about lack of parts.
Karu

Thank you Brayden. That, I needed to know and I shall do.
Jake.G

Karu wrote: I was in my Magna doing everything I could to keep up with a Carry; it was an earlier model than mine and it may have had an 800cc in it. But even that is not an option because they are so hard to find.
are the 800's faster than the 1L?
Karu

I read somewhere that the 1000 was built for carrying a load and I recall that the 800 had a bit more HP. I do know that what ever it was it was certainly quicker than my 1000. Unfortunately the road I was on contained no traffic lights and after trying to keep up for so long without success I realised that the only way I was going to talk to him was follow him all the home and that could have been anywhere.
Brayden

F10A - 32kw
F8A - 26kw

No guesses for which one should be faster. ;)
Karu

Again brayden, thank you for your knowledge.
Brayden

Any time. ;)
Jake.G

finally found a motor. hopefully picking it up this week. just another f10a so a swapover shouldnt be too much trouble right?

once the motors in im lowering it, anybody else lowered there carry? howd you go about it.

im thinking of getting leafs reset. and maybe lowering blocks if its still higher than id like it.

as for the front i want stiffer springs anyway. anybody put springs out of another car in to stiffen it up/lower it or anything like that?

would rather not have to pay heaps of money for king springs.

any help appreciated.
Jake.G

picked my motor up today.

87 f10a out of a sierra.

it came with a 4 speed gearbox. but i want to use my 5 speed. and is there anything i will have to swap over from the old motor or will it just go straight in?

the guy i bought it off said something about the sump being different or something?
Brayden

There will be a lot of subtle differences between the two motors, mostly because the Carry engine sits on an acute angle. You might get away with swapping the sump, rocker cover, manifolds, carby, distributor... the list goes on.

I can't say whether the oil galleries are different in the Carry F10A though, although I would expect they are to prevent oil starvation on the top side of the motor.