power window stopped working

Chat about anything and everything.
gilly

The drivers side power window in my 91 Alto Works RSR has suddenly stopped working. The motor still runs, but the thing the motor joins onto just spins, without lifting the window.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

My previous car (lancer gsr) had a similar problem - it turned out the cable had frayed and it was getting stuck. But this car seems to use a cog/scissor system. So perhaps some teeth have been broken off?

I have unscrewed everything, but it doesnt seem to want to come out. Looks like the only way I can actually remove it is to take the glass off the regulator.
1988 Suzuki Alto Works RSX F5A Gearbox - FOR SALE!
Al_Zhiemer

Be VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL... Not all electric windows work the same but some drive off of a gear mechanism and also have a large spring on them. when you remove the motor from the scissor lift mechanism that lifts your window up and down, you will release tension in the spring. if you aren't holding the scissor lift mechanism correctly and with big thick welding gloves on, it can be extremely painful on the fingers.

Best advice is to hold it as securely as you can in a vice.

Not saying that your window is this type, just a general warning to go careful... have broken a couple of fingers twice now by not paying attention as to how i was holding them... yeah i know, i'm a slow learner :D

(fords had the worst of them, they would try to take your fingers off just because they could)
Drive: 1997 Toyota Starlet... (the incognito mobile)
1985 Suzuki Mighty Boy, currently being restored.
1995 Nissan GT-R33

Why doesn't the Gene Pool have life gaurds??
stevan_istheman

In my landcruiser the scissor system had a roller type mechanism at the bottom...
The roller runds along a c section type channel, and when my window did what sounds the same as yours is doing it was just the roller came out the end of the channel.
I just put it back in and it was all good.
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
gilly

Al_Zhiemer wrote:Be VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL... Not all electric windows work the same but some drive off of a gear mechanism and also have a large spring on them. when you remove the motor from the scissor lift mechanism that lifts your window up and down, you will release tension in the spring. if you aren't holding the scissor lift mechanism correctly and with big thick welding gloves on, it can be extremely painful on the fingers.

Best advice is to hold it as securely as you can in a vice.

Not saying that your window is this type, just a general warning to go careful... have broken a couple of fingers twice now by not paying attention as to how i was holding them... yeah i know, i'm a slow learner :D

(fords had the worst of them, they would try to take your fingers off just because they could)
woah, I got lucky then! I pulled it all apart without giving it much thought, lucky there was no spring tension, because I still have all my fingers! I had to be careful though not to get my fingers crushed in between the cogs.
stevan_istheman wrote:In my landcruiser the scissor system had a roller type mechanism at the bottom...
The roller runds along a c section type channel, and when my window did what sounds the same as yours is doing it was just the roller came out the end of the channel.
I just put it back in and it was all good.
I will have a look for this and see how I go.
gilly

I have now discovered that I think the problem is in the gear that moves the boomerang shaped cog. The gear I am talking about is the one that attaches to the electric window motor (or the window winder handle on non-electric windows). Even when I turn this gear manually, it just spins freely - and the boomerang cog does not move. I have even tried moving the boomerang cog manually but it wouldnt budge.

Heres a photo showing what I am talking about:

So how would I go about repairing that? I tried to remove the silver plate that the cog seems to be inside but it seems hot glued on.

Would I need to replace the complete regulator? And if so, does any other suzukis share the same regulator?

Cheers