F8B conversion - cost summary

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Brayden

I'm just about done converting Special Ed from a woefully slow F5A automatic to a more respectable F8B, and thought I would share the cost breakdown.

Please note that the prices below are for new parts. If you were using second hand bits then it would obviously cost much less.

Rebuild of F8B motor - $1210 (+ freight) from SuziWorld
Rebuilt slushbox & torque converter - $800
Coolant hoses - $150 (includes heater hoses)
Transmission, vacuum & fuel hoses - $25
Hose clamps - $35
Engine mounts - $150
Fluids (engine/box/coolant) - $75
Oil filter - $15
Fuel filter - $10
Air filter - $15
Spark plugs - $20
Points & rotor cap - $30
Carby rebuild kit - $75
Thermostat - $15
Accessory belt - $20
Paint - $30
Gaskets - $10 (Cut my own from a roll of gasket paper)

Total cost - $2700
(Still to be added to the above list is a radiator recore and new driveshafts, which will push it just above $3k.)

Now I know that is a heck of a lot to spend on an F8B, and yes I could have bought an F6A front cut for less - but that would still be a second hand engine and box. Besides, I am attempting to restore this ute to look as close to factory as possible... I just couldn't stand having an F5A under the bonnet. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ToranaGuy

A bit pricey for a F8b conversion but then again i've spent a fair bit on mine, with plenty more to spend on it, as it died.

I bought the engine s/h for $350. Pulled it down, new bearings & seals. New timing kit. New fuel pump. Rings were ok at the time. Head ok at the time. Bearings, seals & so on were about $550. Rebuilt the carby, new filters, fluids & a few hoses seen it cost about $1k to fit it up. Then $250 to engineer.

Now the rings are gone & it needs a rebore & new pistons to boot, and i'll probably get the head fully reco'd as well, i reckon i'll spend another $1800 on it.

But compared to a poor F5a, it's worth it!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|