My New Rims

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:SA swift strut tops are no good because they are a two bolt, whereas the MB has three. You can buy new strut tops, the price is about $90 each.
Thanks for the info brayden, greatly appreciated. Once again you show how much you know about these little beasts!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
ToranaGuy

I've bought 2 tyres & run a trial fit! Couldn't get 4 in time for the engineer initial consult, so 2 had to do. Ride isn't all that much worse than the 13's i think, and the turn in is much faster due to less sidewall flex.

Ended up with Federal Fd1's in 165/45 R15 for $150 a pop.

I know, i didn't have the caps on and i need to lower it, but first i want to get 2 more tyres, then lower it & see what guard mods i may need. Currently with stock ride height there is no scrubbing, but only just!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Jermaine

sweet, looks good! what's the offset on those? Iv found some 15x6's with a offset of 45.. Not sure if thats gonna be to far out tho..
Brayden

ToranaGuy wrote:Ride isn't all that much worse than the 13's i think,
Stock suspension? Try sticking some HD springs in it, then you'll feel like every bump is going to send the struts shooting through the bonnet! :lol: My ute literally has the road compliance of a go-kart. :lol:

Jermaine, +45 offset brings the wheel inwards. Lower numbers bring the wheel out towards the arch.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:Ride isn't all that much worse than the 13's i think,
Stock suspension? Try sticking some HD springs in it, then you'll feel like every bump is going to send the struts shooting through the bonnet! :lol: My ute literally has the road compliance of a go-kart. :lol:

Jermaine, +45 offset brings the wheel inwards. Lower numbers bring the wheel out towards the arch.
lol! Yeah it's stock for now. Shocks are going soft so need to change them in the next few mths. I was thinking about using the swift struts, new mighty boy tops & the stock springs, which will drop it a bit, and then see how that goes before i go for HD springs. Ute doesn't even have 150,000 kms on it yet.

Bradyen, you boy sounds as bad as my EB if i go near a poor excuse for a road, i come out with bruised kidneys. On a reasonable surface it's great.

Jermaine, Rims are +35 or et 35 offset.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Brayden

At least your EB has the benefits of weight and wheelbase to make the ride more compliant. The MB has neither! Even on the smooth Canberra roads you feel every little bump - and driving over cats eyes causes my ute to dance!
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:At least your EB has the benefits of weight and wheelbase to make the ride more compliant. The MB has neither! Even on the smooth Canberra roads you feel every little bump - and driving over cats eyes causes my ute to dance!
Actually that's a fair point. What springs & shocks are they Brayden?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Brayden

I'm using KYB gas struts and King springs from a Swift. In terms of handling I think it makes a good setup, but the Swift is 200kg+ heavier than an MB, so the springs are stiffer than a teenage boy reading Playboy. Not fantastic for every day use.

I'm also surprised you didn't notice a difference between the 15" wheels and your 13". I felt an immediate and large difference due to the extra wheel weight and sidewall stiffness making the ride much harsher.
gadj

Going back to the bearing plates (strut tops), the further north of the Melbourne Warehouse you are the more expensive they are. The 'excuse' is freight but it is charged exponentially (cost + tax + freight x 2 rather than cost + tax X 2 + freight). I have been quoted $140.00 per side & that included a discount. So when I am ready to buy mine I will ber looking to someone in Melbourne to buy & post as this will save me around $35.00 per side.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
ike849

gadj i'm in brisbane and I can get a better price than that!!!

see here;
http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4530&start=0

toranaguy, where did you order your tyres through??? (tempe??)
ToranaGuy

I got the tyres locally thru Tyre Factory Braybrook. After paying for a courier Tempe were not any better on price, from what they quoted me.

I don't feel any difference from the 13's to the 15's, haven't checked the weight difference, but i didn't really notice one from handling them. I've got stock going soft shocks so the ride is ok, and the turn in is much better with the 15's, due to less sidewall flex.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Mr Anderson

so is this a tried and tested set of 15 inch rims with low profile tyres that bolt on without scrub or guard modification??

If so i might have to go to the shops :)
1986 mighty boy, CB60 1L turbo, 80kw (107hp) at 12psi (sold)
ToranaGuy

Abatis Zero in 15x5 et35, wearing a 165/45 R15 tyre. Stock suspension.

Any 15" rim with 4x 114.3 bolt pattern, 5 inches wide with roughly a 35 offset will fit if you have stock suspension. May need minor guard work if your lowered. I'll find this out when i lower my ute.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Brayden

Yeah once lowered I reckon you'll need to roll the front arches. Rears will be fine, although there'll be a bee's dick of gap between the inside of the rim/tyre and the metal protrusion that hangs off the chassis rails for the bump stops.
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:Yeah once lowered I reckon you'll need to roll the front arches. Rears will be fine, although there'll be a bee's dick of gap between the inside of the rim/tyre and the metal protrusion that hangs off the chassis rails for the bump stops.
If there is that little clearance in the rear, i think i'll cut them back a tad, just to make a little more clearance. As for the front guards, i've been thinking about getting a guy i know who is magic with panel beating tools to flare them a tad.

Cheers

ToranaGuy