Marks F6B build

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Brayden

The tank has a drain plug, so draining is really easy and what I would recommend.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
gazuga

not what i wanted to hear, sounds to much like work :lol:

but fine ill drain the bloody thing
gazuga

right so its drained, will grab some fresh stuff on the weekend..

my question now is, before i bought the motor it had a new headgasket fitted, but was never ran. what do i need to do when i start up? do i just idle it for a bit, or give it a few k's normal driving? ive got all the torque figures here to retension the head but whats the run in procedure? :NFI:
Brayden

Start it, check for leaks. If none, run it up to temp and turn it off. Leave overnight and retorque the head bolts. (Loosen half a turn, then retighten.)

Then just drive it sensibly for the first 1000kms.
gazuga

back on the fuel issue, the company i drive a bus for also happens to be the caltex distributer for our area, so i though it would be worth the question even tho its already drained. so i asked a few of the guys in the know if the fuel in the tank would be any good after so long. the 2 answers i got were both no
one said because the tank wasnt completely full it would have condensated and needs draining, but it might be alright for my mower.. if i didnt like my mower :lol:
the other response was a bit more technical, something about the waxes breaking down making long carbon strings aaaand i glazed over about then with the old nod and smile :NFI: said it will still burn, just not well, works better as a weed killer :P
Tez

Or you could do what I do. I have an old outboard motor - fuel tank here I just keep topping up with old hydrocarbons... all sorts of stuff has gone into that tank - Old Super, Old Unleaded, Turps, Thinners, old two-stroke even tipped some strained, used Kero in there once... :-o

I run my 16 year old briggs & stratton 4 stroke mower on whatever the mix is at the time. haven't specifically bought fuel for my mower in about 10 years... And it's still running merrily - starts on the second pull in autumn even all these years of abuse down the track.

I have no idea what octane rating is in the mix at any time... :lol:

Works a treat for me...
Tez
So the adventure continues...
gazuga

didnt get much done this weekend, rained all saturday so parked my ass on the couch for the day.
spent a bit of time today trying to prime the fuel pumps. i must have got sme wiring wrong in the bay as well, as soon as i tried to start it, got nothing, no noise from the starter or anything, didnt really look to hard at it though as i had other things to do.

got a visit at work during the week asking if i was the suzuki guy :lol: said yeah not knowing what to expect, he said he's moving off his farm and has a cultus sitting there he has no use for.. and its mine free if i want it :-o follows this up with oh yeah theres an old falcon there too if you want it :-o :-o now being that i used to have an xy falcon and my dream car (not counting my mb :lol: ) is an xb coupe, i near pooped on the spot.
needless to say rest of the week my minds been all over the shop waiting for the rain to clear so i can get out there, went out today and brought this back..
06022011124.jpg
will head out during the week and grab the xd too i spose.

dissapointing :P
Attachments
06022011128.jpg
Brayden

I'd be very keen for more info/pics of the Cultus, but I spoze I can take a look myself in March! ;)
gazuga

yeah i thought that might get your attention. im sure you can imagine my face when he said cultus instead of swift :lol:
gazuga

pretty crappy day. noticed a bit of a crack in the paint around the fold in the back wheel arch, turns out theres bog. centimetre thick bog covering a previous repair thats just been belted in with a hammer and bogged over. photos dont really show it up but theres a few holes and rust in behing the old welds :x
13022011143.jpg
13022011144.jpg
then decided to go out and get the xd with a mate, thought about an hours work, 4 hours later after one hell of a batlle we got it home.. i then dropped and broke my phone :evil:
what a day :lol:
gazuga

ok so now the weddings done ive got a bit more time free again, so back into it.
wheels now have rubber on them. spent another hour today plaing with the fuel system as it wasnt getting and petrol to the pump. found a short in the electrics causing the lift pump to not do anything, was also an air leak so after fixing the wiring it was still sucking air.
got all that sorted and the battery went flat before i could fire it up.
should hopefully get a few hours to play over easter.
gazuga

another couple of hours wasted in the shed today for no result.

decided todays the day to fire it up. no go, wont fire.
recheck all the electrics are plugged in, still no go.
there is fuel in the return line so fuel is getting to engine.
check plugs.. theyre dry. bust out multimeter to check the injectors are getting power as i have a couple of spare sets if theyre rooted. power is there, install second set of injectors.
no fire, plugs dry :censored:

after much swearing i got ready to pull the whole fuel rail, pulled off feed line, its dry.. wtf?
turns out no fuel to the engine. petrol in return line was going the other way. it normally drains back into the surge tank, turns out the tank was getting full and sending it back up the line..
bust out the multimeter again, turns out the main pump has a short, feed pump is filling the tank but no suck out of tank.

so now i need a new pump, but everyones closed for the long weekend. so im giving myself the weekend off :lol:
ToranaGuy

Seems like this project is really trying you, keep at it man, you will get there!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
gazuga

it lives :D :D

picked up my new pump today and dropped it in. typical me style, being all excited i of course didnt think to crimp the line from the surge tank to the pump and emptied a litre of petrol all over myself and my tools :lol: waited for it to dry, primed it and she burst into life first kick :D
Attachments
29042011177.jpg
Brayden

:thumbup1: