F8b Auto will not change up

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
pony-tail

I have a 1985 hatch , 800 Auto -
It was running fine a few months ago (october)but has not been driven on the road since , it has though been driven around the yard and sutch but only at low speed .
I went to drive it on the road today but it will not change into top gear at all.
any ideas as to what the problem could be?
I have come to the end of an era After 20 years of Kei cars It is time to move on - And almost time to leave this forum and say thanks to all who have assisted me .
Special thanks to Brayden
Brayden

Hmmm, sounds to me like the box could be low on oil, or perhaps in need of a service.

Another thing to check would be to pull the auto controller out from under the drivers seat and pull it apart, clean, and reassemble. Maybe it has dirt or something across a contact.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
pony-tail

Just tried the Transmission control unit off my other suzy -
Did not make any difference .
I have come to the end of an era After 20 years of Kei cars It is time to move on - And almost time to leave this forum and say thanks to all who have assisted me .
pony-tail

The oil level is just below the full mark but the oil is discoloured (brown not red)
Brayden

When was the last time that the transmission was serviced? That is likely to be the issue.
Colin

do they have a vacume hose going to the auto??
if so ...reconect it
MORE BEER! :beer:
eDave

If you can't find it, grind it! :P
Josh

Disconnect the controller altogether. Take the car for a drive and try manually shifting gears with the T-bar. Let us know how you go.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
pony-tail

Firstly the car has only done 19,000 klicks -
Secondly when I bought the car a year ago it still had the original OEM oil filter , and I assume oil , the lady who owned it befor me only drove it once or twice a week all whithin the one suburb (about 4 or 5 ks )
The rear brakes were frozen off (wheel cyls seized) the fuel tank was full of some kind of slime , the carby too . and the exhaust manifold was corroded to S**t .
The tranny has done very little work but most likely has NEVER seen a mechanic as with the rest of the car , and the brown C**p that once was oil was probably put in there at the factory .
Due to the lack of mileage I would have thought there would be very little wear .
Brayden

Low wear is one thing, but a lack of servicing will affect a well driven car just as badly as one that is rarely started.

Oils and rubbers deteriorate over time, even if they are left standing, and after 20 years you can bet that things won't be in very good condition.
Josh

The amount of wear engines and their transmissions suffer can be far greater for a vehicle that only ever does short trips.

If the vehicle never runs long enough for the engine and transmission to reach and sustain peak operating temperature, then the lubricants are never able to operate within the appropriate temperature range required to perform to their full specifications. Short trips can also mean that the engine spends the majority of it's time running with some choke being applied. The result can be liquid petrol making it's way into the engine oil, preventing it from performing properly. Moreover, this cold running produces condensation, which is normally absorbed by the fluids and evaporated off during running at full operating temperature along with any liquid petrol that has made it's way into the oil. However, if the engine never spends enough time at operating temperature for this to occur, then the fluids deteriorate much faster than they would with more regular, and longer running conditions.

So, when factoring in these few simple facts, it's easy to see how a 20-year-old car with only 19,000km on the clock can be quite a lemon.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
pony-tail

Oils and rubbers deteriorate over time, even if they are left standing, and after 20 years you can bet that things won't be in very good condition.
So it would appear !
pony-tail

I have just put the auto out of my other hatch in and need to know what spec. transmissin fluid they run as most of the fluid is now on the ground.
Josh

Nip down to you local auto store and buy a bottle of Castrol TQF. You'll need about 2.5 litres if the transmission is dry.

Don't let anyone try and tell you that a Dexron type fluids are compatible, as the SB308 transmission requires a higher clutch pack friction than they can provide.
Last edited by Josh on Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pony-tail

Cool .
now all I have to do is find a good auto for my other suzy .
I WILL get it roadworthy one day !
I keep ratting it for parts for the registered one and have to put the replacement parts back but I have to keep the one with rego on the road to get to and from work.
I have a Cordia but it sends me broke just in fuel ( 9.5l /100k)
I also have a Hyundai Lantra but the motor in it attempted to do an impersonation of a grenade - It will not see the road anytime soon.(major $)