Nixxed - the '86 Carry

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Brayden

Because I can't help myself, I have bought another Suzuki - this time its a 1986 SuperCarry Deluxe with the high roof option. Being the Deluxe, it has a 5 speed gearbox and is a genuine 4 seater. The name 'Nixxed' comes from the fact that it is an 86 model, and in America the term "86'ed" means to remove, delete or 'nix' something.

As you can tell from the shoddy pic from my phone it is metallic green, and yes Karu, it has mag wheels! :P Not much else to mention apart from the new motor and clutch + tinted windows. It needs a bit of TLC, but starts first crank and looks to be in good mechanical condition.

Not too sure what I'll do with it at this stage, we'll see what happens now that daylight savings and warmer weather is here. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Nehemiah

Sweet!

Did all the square headlight models come with parkers next to the headlights?

Sam
[url=http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2744]Can a G15A DOHC engine fit into a Carry Van? Short answer...Yes. Click for the long answer...[/url]
Brayden

Pretty certain that all SuperCarry models came with those headlight surrounds, but it might only be the Deluxe models.
Karu

Look at that Braydon, it has mag wheels. I have since found out that Hyundai Excell mags fit with 15mm spacers on the front. Both my models of the Super Carry have the parking lights in the same place.

I look forward to seeing what you do with it Braydon.
While you were putting your pics up I was taking pics of mine to show.
Brayden

I've got wheels here from several different models of cars that I will trial fit and report back on what fits and what doesn't, but I would really like to fit 14" wheels and lower it. Just have to work out what blocks will fit the rear axle.
Tay

Hey Brayden,

Nice buy :) Great to see a few Carry's around in good hands, it's a shame to let a nice Carry go to waste.

It's funny, back home in Melbourne, there is next to no Carry's cruising around, while here in Vietnam, there is one in every corner, I see on average about 20+ a day :)

So, your not sure what plans you got for her? Anything like your old Pimp Wagon? :)

I'll be back home in about a months time (been abroad for 5 months now) and thinking about getting rid of the front bar I got from Yahoo Auctions that didn't fit my Van. I probably wont have time to mess around to make it fit, however if anyone has that time, it would be a good addition to the carry.

For those playing at home, this is the link to my front bar:

http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3697

And for those lazy people here is a pic of the front bar:

Cheers
Tat
Brayden

Shoot me a price mate. ;)
Brayden

Back on topic, I gave the van a good clean up today and noticed a few things different to the import Every I used to own.

- Rear seatbelts are lap/sash, whereas the Every had no seat belts in the back, despite having a genuine back seat. (I installed lap seatbelts in it.)

- When I opened the rear under-seat compartments I noticed there was no rear heater, something that was in the Every van, and quite handy on cold Canberra mornings!

This is probably of zero interest to anyone, but these subtle differences between Japanese models and what we got in Australia has always intruiged me! I also found that the front struts have been replaced, which is great news considering they cost about $250 each to buy these days!
Laura

Aw dude you are well and truly addicted! Very nice.
tjb

Geez, another bloody nice carry! Good stuff!
Billie

your rims look like the ones on my mighty boy
Squirt

those rims are exactly the same as mine :D grats on the buy brayden... looks nice
Nehemiah

I really liking the fact there are a few carrys on the site now!
Cant wait to see whats in store for this one...

Sam.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2744]Can a G15A DOHC engine fit into a Carry Van? Short answer...Yes. Click for the long answer...[/url]
Brayden

I'd say one of the first mods to this will be ditching the mags - I'm not a fan. I need to tidy a few things up before rego, and we'll see how things go after that.
Brayden

Update:

A mate has organised a camping trip for the end of the month, so I pulled my finger out today and started fixing the things I could see needed repair for rego. The aim is to get it inspected sometime later this week.

First item was a wonky wiper arm, which turned out to be a real pain. As soon as I noticed it was wobbling I groaned, because to get to the wiper arms in a Carry you have to remove the entire dashboard! Long story short it took me about an hour to get to the problem part, which was a worn out shaft housing. Basically the axle that the wiper arm bolts onto is alloy, and so is the casing. :roll: So from years of use the alloy casing had worn out of round. So I drilled it out to 10mm and then sleeved it before greasing and refitting.

Next up was the front door lock pull knobs, which have a shitty little plastic connector on the end that always breaks. Both front ones had broken. Remove door trims, replace plastic connector with bound wire and refit.

Then came time to take off the old mags. During the wheel swap I noticed a leak on the back driver's side brake drum. After removing the drum I found the inside coated in gear oil. Awesome, stuffed axle seal. Still going on that one!

Apart from that it is a pretty tidy old rig. I haven't managed to find any rust, which makes me very happy. There are a few other things that need tidying up, but that can wait until after rego. Anyway, back to the shed!