How fast is safe?

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
Karu

For those few Super Carry owners wondering how fast is safe. Today on a very long country road my partner was in a hurry to get to Melbourne. Luckily there was a strong tail wind. Okay, I will re-phrase that, a very strong wind.
Having my foot on the throttle where it would normally sit on 90 the little van was doing 125. True, I couldn't stop grinning, and I still had heaps of room under my right foot. I didn't need to rev the engine and I was happy at that speed. Actually it was almost silent. Passing everything on the road was a real experience, and I am sure for the other road users also.

Then as we turned our position the strong wind would batter us from the side. It took concentration, but it was fine. Coming up behind trucks was the real fun part; the head wind would stop and with the tail wind pushing the Carry would lurch forward even at 125.

So there you go, with 155/12 truck tyres and it hung on the road amazing at 125km.
stevan_istheman

I've wound my mightyboy out to 140+ with no problems. lol
Could do more if it had more revs... <insert F6A> :twisted:

On a racetrack of course... :roll: On the way home from work.

What officer? You're speed gun must be wrong... it's a mightyboy for christ's sake!

HaHa! See what happens on a boring wednesday night... useless posts.
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
Nehemiah

Aerodynamically a Carry has a major disadvantage in comparison to a Mighty boy. Especially considering the torque (or lack thereof!) the motor produces at the RPM's needed for 120+.

Good to hear the van didn't want to take flight at that speed though!

Sam.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2744]Can a G15A DOHC engine fit into a Carry Van? Short answer...Yes. Click for the long answer...[/url]
suzutey

bloke i knows mb has gone all the way round the clock ant past zero again. haha
Karu

Yeah, he was actually saying that his kilometres got to 99999 and went back past zero again haha.
suzutey

haha, na the speedo. the engine revs past 11,000 rpm
supervan

Karu wrote:For those few Super Carry owners wondering how fast is safe. Today on a very long country road my partner was in a hurry to get to Melbourne. Luckily there was a strong tail wind. Okay, I will re-phrase that, a very strong wind.
Having my foot on the throttle where it would normally sit on 90 the little van was doing 125. True, I couldn't stop grinning, and I still had heaps of room under my right foot. I didn't need to rev the engine and I was happy at that speed. Actually it was almost silent. Passing everything on the road was a real experience, and I am sure for the other road users also.

Then as we turned our position the strong wind would batter us from the side. It took concentration, but it was fine. Coming up behind trucks was the real fun part; the head wind would stop and with the tail wind pushing the Carry would lurch forward even at 125.

So there you go, with 155/12 truck tyres and it hung on the road amazing at 125km.
is the van 4 speed :-o
....its not miles per gallon its smiles per gallon....

1990 f10a supercarry 5speed
small van big plan
synster

supervan wrote:
Karu wrote:For those few Super Carry owners wondering how fast is safe. Today on a very long country road my partner was in a hurry to get to Melbourne. Luckily there was a strong tail wind. Okay, I will re-phrase that, a very strong wind.

thats what i was thinking too lol
supervan

synster wrote:
supervan wrote:

thats what i was thinking too lol
i would like to see my rev guage at 125kph :lol:

small van big plan
Karu

I reckon it would lucky to reach 90 in 4th. You gotta find a 5 speed, they love the 5th gear.
supervan

5th gear.. they could do with 6 :lol:

small van big plan
Graeme

Karu wrote:Having my foot on the throttle where it would normally sit on 90 the little van was doing 125. True, I couldn't stop grinning, and I still had heaps of room under my right foot. I didn't need to rev the engine and I was happy at that speed. Actually it was almost silent.
Hmmm. and I thought that engine rpm was fixed with wheel rpm's, you would need to change some ratio's to go faster without reving more. Shows how much I know doesn't it. :?

Graeme.
Your just jealous because the voices only talk to me.
gazuga

same revs, just feeding the engine less fuel due to strong tail wind. same as going downhill, you can maintain a speed with little to no throttle input.
thats how i see it anyway..