Finally got my G10a MB

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
ToranaGuy

Interesting. I was fairly sure Vic is 1300cc n/a. I'll have to check that out again.

Did DOTARS change things a little?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
gadj

1000cc N/A goes hard enough for my needs. Trouble is I haven't got the folding to get the gearbox fixed (1st won't fully engage) so it will be longer that I'd like before my toy is mobile.
The turbo route could be taken if I can get my internet marketing business of the ground & get serious income coming in but I would only do it because of that sick satisfaction you get when a larger vehicle driver thinks "that little underpowered piece of proverbial is going to hold me up if I don't overtake"
yet you have the power to leave them in your dust. :twisted:
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
ToranaGuy

gadj wrote: The turbo route could be taken if I can get my internet marketing business of the ground & get serious income coming in but I would only do it because of that sick satisfaction you get when a larger vehicle driver thinks "that little underpowered piece of proverbial is going to hold me up if I don't overtake"
yet you have the power to leave them in your dust. :twisted:
Hell yeah, that's a very good reason for a turbo mighty boy! I found my f8b very zippy today, just running it in, and i also found that the F5a gear ratio's are not very well mated to a fresh F8b! I found 1st & 2nd running out way too quickly. I wanna turbo mine for the same reason, to have a laugh when you show up drivers of larger vehicles!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
shavenyak

the bigger they are the harder they fail XD
[url=http://www.tamon.org/gallery/v/members/shavenYak/][img]http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7592/suzukicustomka8.jpg[/img][/url]
gadj

My first experience with this situation was quite funny once I got the white knuckle fever back under control.
I was driving my Nissan A14 powered LJ50. I had just entered the Bruce Highway, 2 interstate semis side by side bearing down on me ( I was doing the 110Km/h limit). they were not slowing so I planted all the right boot I could find, the speedo needle wound off the dial to what could have been 145Km/h & I pulled off at the next exit (a parallel service road). As I came out the end of the service road the semis were one behind the other & looking for me while on their 2ways. They obviously did not expect the tiny LJ50 to go that hard (nor did I).
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
ToranaGuy

That's gold!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
gadj

wish I'd had a UHF set back then "na na na na na" :lol: (who said you had to get serious & mature after 40)

had another experience with same car. heading up the range from Palmwoods to Montville. Long flat stretch - early Celica overtakes, through the curves they cant loose me, onto the dirt I pulled 4wd & pushed them to the top. Another meter of road would have let me overtake & blast on up the hill.

These days I am happy to know I have the power to do it but I am not so likely - although the temptation is higher with the MB than the Jackaroo
Scully

My first car was a Datsun Sunny with an A13 block, A14 pistons and A12 head. Was a little rocket, and i just couldn't kill that engine no matter how hard i tried. Only got rid of the car when it fell apart while driving on a dirt road. :lol:
gadj

I just got off the phone - Derek at SuziSport tells me he can supply a Swift GTi box that will mate to the G10a & be stronger than the original box for $295.00 :-o :D Makes sense to go this way esp. if a turbo is considered.

Also rang Sunstate Gearbox & Diff services Kunda Park. They may be able to repair existing box a lot cheaper than expected. Past experience with this repairer has shown them to be very reasonable.
Brayden

The only real difference between a GA box and the GTi box is the diff, which is stronger in the GTi box. However all Swift boxes are still made of glass and will lunch 2nd/3rd gear with any real power behind them. If you want a real HD box then let me know. ;)

If you wanted taller ratios for cruising then look at a Cino box.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ToranaGuy

So what's a real HD box then?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Brayden

A proper HD box will have the case machined out with larger bearings, an upgraded 2nd gear with revised synchro arrangement, and a diff with some form of LSD.
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:A proper HD box will have the case machined out with larger bearings, an upgraded 2nd gear with revised synchro arrangement, and a diff with some form of LSD.
Ok, so a fair bit of work then. the gear & syncro upgrade sounds a bit like what is done to the Borg Warner T5 to make it handle more power.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
gadj

Sounds good but at what price?
I suspect what I am looking at will do the job I need it to - the turbo is a distant dream for now.
Brayden

Given that the MB weighs a couple of hundred kilos less than a Swift I would say that a astandard GA box would do the job, but if you can get a GTi box in good working order for less than $300 then go for it.

A completely reconditioned HD GTi box is about $1100.