Now the MB Build thread

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
nelpd96

Mowog, I know what you mean that is why I think that there is still something very wrong with the brakes. I am going to pop back into ABS here in Canberra and have another chat with them because they said that they road tested it but it is pretty unsafe. No luck at the moment regarding getting someone that is willing to dyno it on a sat morning and not charge an arm and a leg so I might just work on tidying up the little bits first before I start on the rest of the stuff.

Cheers
Paul
nelpd96

OK so ABS basically denied that there was anything wrong with the brakes so I took the car back and told them not to expect any further business. I finished work early this arvo so I had the time to pull them down for a look. Basically they were just really glazed, scuffed up the pads and discs and a couple of hard stops had the fronts locking up. Not too sure why that was so hard for them to do but anyway.

While I was under there I decided to try and eliminate the vibration, I got rid of the excess silicon that I had put in the mounts and just checked that the engine was sitting naturally and tightened up the mounts bolts. Success, massive difference and very happy with it now.....

Only problem is that the dreaded crunching noise is back when I go around left hand corners. It really sounds like the CV so I am guessing that the tolerance on the drive shaft length is so close that the little bit that I moved the thing was enough to cause the problem but I will have another look at it tomorrow. If I can get that sorted I will be very happy with the thing as it is driving quite well.

Cheers
Paul
nelpd96

Ok so got an email from Suzistore and the suspension bits are in from Japan and on there way to me as we speak. So within the next couple of weeks I should have the front end redone (new strut tops, LCA and all the bushes) and the wheel alignment finalised as well as the vibration/ crunching issues sorted out. Then it is time to drive and have a bit of fun while I get the bits together to do the EFI. I am thinking about getting a new fuel tank made up for a bit of extra capacity and make it easier to run the EFI fuel pump and put appropriate baffeling in the tank. I have a lift pump and surge take that I can use but I would rather keep the tray nice and clean.

Cheers
PAul
nelpd96

So this is what $500 of MB suspension bits looks like. Doesn't get very far but I am looking forward to seeing how much better it drives with new stuff in the front end. Should have it all in by the weekend, I replaced all the rear bushes on the weekend as well. They looked ok from the outside but when you pulled them out they were quite worn.
The other thing that I am looking at doing to moving the sway bar mounts forward to give the suspension some more caster. I figure that if I can shift it forward around 20mm then that should be good for about 1.6 degrees of caster or there about which shouldn't bee too bad. If I drop it down a bit it will also help stablise it under brake a bit as well (anti-dive).

Cheers
Paul
Attachments
SAM_2265.JPG
Breyten

Sounds like an interesting prospect.
From lifting solid axles jeeps I know how much of a differance caster can make.
However when lifting it typically reduces, would have though lowering would increase it already?

Just interested in learning a bit more.
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
Billie

Breyten, I think your thinking camber
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
nelpd96

I should have clarified that i was talking about lowering the point at which the sway bar bolt to the front of the car.if you do that it changes the way that the strut moves during braking as when through front suspension compresses it will push the strut back slightly lowering the mounting point helps to stop that.
nelpd96

Ok all the new suspension is in. It is bloody awesome, such a big difference it is unreal. I still have to take it in for a wheel alignement this week but other than that it is all going well. I am going to have a tinker with the old strut tops as I think that I might have a reasonable solution to recondition them. I have a set of Lower control arms that need new bushes and ball joints if anyone is interested.

On another note the standard seats were giving me the shits because I kept sliding off every time I went around a corner. I had a spare one from the Sprinter sitting in the shed so I though that I would see if it would fit. In short, yes it does, quite well in fact. Basically only one hole lines up but it is very easy to get the others where you need them. It only took me about 40min to fit it up. on the factory sprinter rails it sits about 3-4cm lower than the standard seat and obviously is much better as it has lumber support as well as the ability to adjust the front of the seat up and down. The only problem is that it is blue but a seat cover will sort that one out.

Cheers
Paul
rf4burns

Have reconditioned strut tops before you may get some ideas here http://www.teammightyboy.com/forum/view ... 2&start=15
Get with it ,Get over it ,Get on with it .....OR LEAVE
nelpd96

Yeah I saw that, this is what gave me the idea but I am looking at something easier. I am basically going to try and find a big nolathance bush with a steel sleeve in it and machine a taper on it to match the strut top and then press fit it into the housing with some glue to hold it. If that is not enough I will put a plate underneath to hold it all in. Just have to find something at a reasonable cost to make it worth while.

Cheers
Paul
nelpd96

Ok time for another little update. Not much getting done as we have just added another person to the family, we had a little girl last week so I am spending time changing nappies rather than working on the MB but you get that.

Thought that I would add some photos of the Seat install from the Sprinter. The only modification that I made to the sprinter seat was to cut the rear to lugs off and drill the large rivet out that hold the rails together so that I can fit a bolt through there.

Please don't laugh at the roofing screws in the back mounts for the seat that is just to hold it is place, when I get time this week they will come out along with the seat and I will weld captive nuts in there with load distribution plates to make it all good.

The mount closest to the handbrake at the front is the standard MB one then one near the door is a new hole as you can see from the photos. The whole seat fits really well and as I said sits a couple of cm lower than the old one. It also has far better adjustment and lumber spt than the old seat. I know it is not going to be as good as a Recaro or something like that but it was free and much better than the standard one.

Cheers
Paul
Attachments
Clearance along the sill
Clearance along the sill
Inner rear
Inner rear
door side rear
door side rear
Side closest to the door
Side closest to the door
SAM_2317.JPG
SAM_2318.JPG
nelpd96

I also decided to do something with the stereo. I love the look of the AWA radio cassette but is just wasn't doing the job. I had an old amp that has been sitting the cupboard for years so I dragged that out and tested it and it still worked. I quick trip to JB HIFI for some 6x9's and Bunnings for some 16mm MDF and I knocked up a replacement for the tray that sits behind the seat. The amp is mounted underneath and I just have a 3.5mm jack for my phone hooked up to the RCA in on the amp. Works quite well without damaging the inside of the car beyond repair.

I also had one of the guys off here send me through some interior bits for the MB including the heater surround that was dammaged on mine. Ian did a great job of giving it a tidy up so I gave it a lick of paint and popped it in along with some LED lights for the dash and heater while I was at it. I tried to do red to start with but it didn't turn out that well. Sticking with white LED's gave better colour as well. Going to go back and have a look at the engine vibration again this week while I am off work and see if I can't get rid of that before I fit the extractors and cam.

Filled it up the other day as well, averaging 6l/100km with me driving like a lunatic so it will be interesting to see how it goes when I am just driving normally.

Cheers
Paul
Attachments
Pioneer 6x9's
Pioneer 6x9's
Heater Surround, Thanks again Ian
Heater Surround, Thanks again Ian
Tez

Paul.

Good to see the car is still coming along - even though you might be somewhat distracted by other interests at the moment...
with me driving like a lunatic
hmmmm... Is there another way to drive a MB? :twisted:

Congratulations to you and your wife on the safe arrival of the addition!
Tez
So the adventure continues...
nelpd96

Tez, thanks for the kind words. I managed to get a bit done today so the extractors are fitted up but I think that I am going to have to fit a flex joint in there as it is a lot more rigid than the old setup. Sounds pretty good, much deeper note with less resonanse but it does have a bit of a pop on over run which is a bit of a pain. I will see how I go tomorrow but i might pop the cam in. I can't be bothered mucking around with dyno's as it doesn't really matter that much in the end long as it get along ok. I will obviously get one when I do the EFI stuff as it will be on the dyno anyway.

Cheers
Paul
nelpd96

So I need to put that flex pipe in the exhaust, it is so much more rigid and the vibration lossened the bolts on the flange. Drove the second half of the trip home with it sounding like a Mack truck. It attracted so much attention that someone in a Ford Focus followed me all the way home to honk the horn and give me a wave when I got out of the car :D

As long as there are no other issue during the week, the cam will go in on the weekend.

Cheers
Paul