New Alternator in Carry.

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
CameronMinns

Hey people, was just thinking about getting a new alternator for my Carry, but was just wondering if there is a particular one that will fit straight on??? With out too many problems.

It is because I am getting a large audio system in my carry, and don't think the battery will be able to hold charge.

Might need a new battery too, but I guess we'll get to that laters.

Thank you,
Cameron Minns
The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
Brayden

How large is the audio system? (watts RMS) The pimpwagon A/V system ran off the standard alternator/battery with no real issues. That system was pretty big.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
CameronMinns

Audio system is 4 X 90watt 4-way amp running 4 6inchs at max and 750watt monoblock running 800watt sub. All figures are RMS.

I wasn't sure I just assumed it wouldn't handle it (like dimm lights and stuff), It would be great if it could handle it.

Thanks
The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
Brayden

If you install a decent battery you should be fine. Suck it and see I guess - if the lights dim then worry about replacing the alternator.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Tez

Cameron.
Don't underestimate the value of going around your car and cleaning up the electrical contacts too.
Headlight dipping etc. can be caused by corroded contacts. Clean bright contacts may not stop your headlights from dimming, but will ensure the full voltage gets to where it's meant to be... first.
If after you've cleaned up all your contacts, the headlights dim, THEN you might need a bigger alternator. :)
Cheers
Tez
So the adventure continues...
CameronMinns

Yeah OK, fair enough. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your insight. :-)
Tay

When I purchased the pimpwagon, the stereo system was sucking up a lot of juice when cranked up to the points where lights would dim and to the point where the van would stall.

In between when Brayden owned it and me, the wiring for the stereo must have been tampered with, because as stated above the lights would dim, alternator whining, etc....I spent the whole weekend, ripped out all the wiring, and started from scratch, I kid you not, I had a couple km worth of wires it wasn't funny! Now with all new wiring, the sound system sounds much better than before and it's all neat and tidy and it fixed up all my issues, and it's still running the factory alternator and X year old battery :)

As Tez stated, cleaning up the electrical contacts does help and I also suggest using mid to high quality cables and do the job properly, no half ass jobs, it will save a lot of headaches in the long run.
CameronMinns

Hmmmm yeah. Well I think I'll see how it goes and then go from there. :-)

Thanks guys.