f8b into ss40?

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
hatchbiatch

lol cheers ceej .
its no where near as bad after clean all the gunk off of everything.
just so glad to see you guys still into the site ..if wasnt for tamon i just dont know where i would go for all this advice and knowledge.
makes it so much more a pleasure to try and attempt
cheers bud
stonie
If it breaks it needed modifying
hatchbiatch

am wondering would it have just been easier to just put rings in the hatch 550 lol
oh well to late now
:)
cheers ceej
stonie
hatchbiatch

hey guys , now i am stuck ..there is no way this engine / gearbox combo (F8B) is going to fit into hatch..the gearbox bracketry for engine mounts has completly different mounting points on the casting of gearbox.. and the same with the rear engine mounts ..upper and lower..
the drivers side / (engine) bracket fits on f8b engine but thats only one ..
the only way i can see this happening is if the gearboxes can be swapped ..then i can use my original gearbox engine mounts side and rear ..
so i guess my question is can the f5a and f8b gearboxes be swapped no exceptions ..cause if there is an exeption it will be mine lol..QQ :)
thanks again ..
hope you understand what i am saying with the mounts .
cheers
stonie
Brayden

You need to take ALL of the engine/gearbox mounts from the Hatch and fit them to the motor from the Alto. It works, because I am using an Alto gearbox in my MB where there was formerly a Hatch box, and before that the original MB box - and I haven't modified a thing.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
hatchbiatch

the gearbox engine mounts just wont bolt to the new alto gearbox ..the castings are completely different on the gearbox. its the same story at the rear of engine for the mounts ..the one lower mount off the f5a gearbox ..just wont fit the box from the alto ..
its the same with the arm that bolts to back of engine from hatch there no where to bolt that on to f8b engine..
the engine side mount ..the large bracket with 5 bolts fits no problem
but the gearbox mounts casting points in the box are way off
the rear engine mount from alto to the hatch is at very different angles
and the only way i can see that too work is by using the box from original engine.
sorry bud ..will take pics tomorrow to show what i mean if not following me
hatchbiatch

have posted 2 new pics in gallery to show where i mean on the gearbox mounts ..sorry about my editing lol..
Brayden

Surprising! I had no idea the older SS40 models had a completely differernt gearbox case to later models - it is almost like leftovers from the earler Cervo model.

You might be able to get the gearbox and rear engine mounts from a later SS80V model and use those on the Alto box, because I know for a fact that the SS40T, SS80V and SB308 have the same gearbox mount castings - whether those mounts will match your subframe however, is a different story!
hatchbiatch

phew , thought i was going crazy ..but didnt think they would fit ..this is kinda what i have been asking from the start as nothing looked like it would fit..
Ok , the later model engine mounts are still not going to be anygood as subframe on ss40 is different mounting points completely ..so that leaves me with a gearbox swap at best , that i can see anyway
so might you know if i can swap the gearboxes on these engines f5a to f8b ..
the castings are different on the gearbox but does that mean the engine castings are going to be different too ??
cheers again brayden.. sorry to be a pain .. but now am stuck with 2 dismantled cars :D
cheers buddy
andy
Brayden

Andy, from what I can see in your pics the SS40 subframe and rear mount position look identical to the SS80, so if you used SS80 rear and gearbox brackets/mounts at worst you might have to drill a hole in the passenger side cradle arm that lines up with the SS80 gearbox mount.

The SB308 F8B has all the right castings to fit SS80 engine/box mounts, it just has extra castings for the Alto engine mounts.

I currently have an SB308 F8B mounted to an F5A auto box in an MB, and an SS80V F8B mounted to an SB308 manual box in another. Neither of these swaps required anything more than the appropriate mounts. So I would wager that once you have a full set of SS80V mounts the whole thing will slot straight in.
hatchbiatch

ok ..thats too much for me ..i give up
anybody wanna buy some wrecked suzuki's