4 point Harness are LEGAL, if adr approved and certified

Chat about anything and everything.
holk

I finally had the HOLK engineered today.
Whilst there, I asked the engineer about 4, 5 and 6 point harness.
The guy, who is an ex Holden chief engineer (coincidentially safety and restraints) told me they are LEGAL, if ADR approved and the anchor points engineered (there are clear guidelines on positions and angles of straps, reinforcement plates....) .

However he has recommended not to use 4 point, as they are less safe than 3 points: in fact, in the case of an accident, the body, sliding forward would raise the harness above the hip/pelvic region causing internal injuries (the 3 point does not allow sliding, allegedly). He has recommended 5 and 6 point, however very few are ADR approved.

Here you go.
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/11796-1/holk3-1.jpg[/img]
nelpd96

With regards to harnesses that has always been the case with regards to 3 an 4 point. Just so long as they are ADR tagged. The ony ADR tagged 5 point harness that I know of is used by Defence. The use them for the seatbelt on vehicles that have external troop lift. 3 and 4 point are just as bad as each other for sliding under and causeing abdominal injury. Only the 5-6 point that has the strap between the legs will stop this.

Cheers
Paul
Brayden

My engineer told me that in NSW/ACT it is completely legal to install a harness, but a standard lap/sash seatbelt must remain installed for use on the street.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
holk

Apologies,
When I wrote 3 point, I meant lap/sash. As far as what the engineer told me, he said the 4, 5 and 6 can be used on the road in the place of original lap/sash (not just being in the car as ornament).
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/11796-1/holk3-1.jpg[/img]
nelpd96

I won't get into a he said she said on this but I am an unrestricted engineering signatory in the ACT so I know what I am talking about.

Cheers
Paul
bomber

Interesting that the points on racing harnesses.

I agree that harnesses should be legal.

Just going by my experiences with getting harnesses certified by an engineer - or trying to.

I just don't know how you get around the ADR regs when my understanding has been any safety equipment fitted to a vehicle must be retained. If you vehicle has ADR 4 (Seat Belts) referenced on the compliance plate, it must comply with those regulations. Including retractable seat belts. Similar to if your vehicle has fitted airbags fitted, you can't remove them.

I've got a set of ADR approved racing harnesses in my hatch with (previously) engineered mounting points. However, consultation with two engieners and the ADR manual determined they are not legal for use on the road and factory seat belts have been retained.

Reason being my hatch was fitted with retractable seat belts and ADR 4 is listed on the complaince plate. ADRs applicable to this year model state the specifics of retractable seat belts that must be used in the car.

One engineer said that racing harnesses 'are legal, but not legal.' Referncing previously stated info regarding mounting points etc. Reason they aren't legal as they don't meet the ADR requirement for belts being retractable.

There are retractable 3 point racing harnesses available - made by Schroth, but these are not ADR'd and to my knowledge no one imports them into Australia.

I guess it can be down to interpretation, but I don't know how you get around the retractable seat belt issue. Would be very keen to find out as still have the harnesses in the car and it'd be great to get rid of the retractables.
Tez

it can be down to interpretation
That being, the massive stumbling block. If it is not cut & dried, then when something does go wrong, your insurance company will walk away.

Irrespective of whether your seatbelts or harness saved your ass or not... :-o

Cheers
Tez
So the adventure continues...