F10A to K10A Suzuki Super Carry

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
NozMonkeys

Nah its fine. Just needs welding up, its alloy so won't be an issue.
NozMonkeys

Got a wee issue. My f10a flywheel's bolt pattern is to small diameter to match the K10a's crank diameter.

I can either get an adapter machined up or find a clutch and flywheel off another car which will bolt on and my starter motor will engage it fine.

Kind of urgent as I took my van(daily driver) off the road to put this engine in.

I found this auction with a flywheel from an SK413:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 711169.htm
Brayden

The problem you have is that the K series motor uses a gearbox similar to (or even identical to) the G series, however the F series bellhousing is too small to fit a K/G series flywheel.

Solution? Switch to the gearbox from a later model G13BB equipped Carry (Sierra/Jimny/Vitara gearbox is NOT suitable). The other option is (as you said) a flywheel adapter and use the F10A flywheel, or have a K/G series flywheel machined down and use the F10A ring gear.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
NozMonkeys

Well the flexplates ring gear that came with my k10a is smaller than my f10 flywheel. An Sk413 is a G series isn't it?
Brayden

Yep. I was surprised that the flex plate on your K10A was smaller than the F10A - might have something to do with it being an import (or auto). My Wagon R gearbox looked identical to a Swift G series box in terms of dimensions and castings.

I think I have a spare G13 flywheel in the shed. If so I'll measure it for you to see if it would suit.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
NozMonkeys

Thanks Brayden would be good for future reference. I went to the engineers today and hes going to make me an adaptor for $150. My girlfriend knows him well so hes charging me minimum.

Hes going to lathe one up, drill and tap it. Said it would only take 1 hour. I sure was surprised considering I would have spend 3 hours marking the hole positions and still stuff it up.
Tez

:D :D :D
I sure was surprised considering I would have spend 3 hours marking the hole positions and still stuff it up
There-in lies the difference between "engineer" & "backyard mechanic" . . .

You'll notice also, he gets to charge for his services... and also has a high probability of delivering what he says he'll do... :D :D :D

Good luck with the adaptor! :lol:
Tez
So the adventure continues...
NozMonkeys

I shall correct you :P

I'm an apprentice mechanic so your saying should go:

There-in lies the difference between "engineer" & "backyard enginner" . . .

He made it, I've got it and now I'm off to test fit it :D
Billie

Damn you get stuff done fast. Wanna come do my car?
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
NozMonkeys

Well it fits. Took a bit of grinding of the gearbox where the clutch was just rubbing up against the inside of the bellhousing.

He gave me the product 90% finished, he'll clean it up tomorrow. His Mill machine broke and he spent half the day instead of an hour. He said most the time was spent on the drill press because as he took it off the lathe to put it on his mill machine the machine broke and was a real F^**(k up cause it made it real hard to do the job on the drill press.

Billie:
I work from 8am-3pm most days and my parents own a shed which I've pretty much claimed as my own :D Plus my boss is real cruisy so I can go organise stuff during work hours and pretty much choose when I want to go home.
NozMonkeys

Well heres what $150 looks like:

He had to grind his drill piece flat to countersink the holes. That's why they aren't a very smooth finish.

There was an oil leak from the crankshafts flywheel holes and just after inspecting it all the holes are tapped right into the oil galleries of the crankshaft. I've never seen an engine do this before, I sure will be using a lot of sealant on the threads
Jermaine

thats not a bad effort! 150 buck is a good price.. but i take it thats nz.. would more like be 300 over here lol
NozMonkeys

Your Aus Dollar is worth $1.20 NZD. So its more like $130 Aus.
NozMonkeys

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQfOW-TApIM

ITS ALIVE!!! I'm so happy. Now I just have to put it back together, weld a mount for my clutch cable and weld an exhaust up for her. I started it up with only the downpipe on and it was no where as loud as I was expecting.

Running rough but the spark plugs are due for replacement and I had the engine on its side so there's a possibility that too much oils in the combustion chamber.

I haven't got the solenoid on which use to run to the BOV as the previous owner snapped the outputs off :?

How important is the boost sensor? He also snapped that off. I only assume it is to illuminate a light on the dash for when you've hit boost.
Jermaine

got a boost gauge hooked up? i would be makin sure its not over boosting..