And so it begins

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Trav

Well, after a crazy thought and a fair bit of looking, I got myself a Mighty Boy as a bit of a fun project car. I was thinking of getting this on the road pretty quickly, but the more I look the more I want to do.

The previous owner thought the fuel pump had gone because it wasn't getting fuel, but after looking at the fuel filter, I would say the big kink in the hose comeing from the filter was more the issue. I now have it running but it's a bit rough. I'm trying decide weather I bother tuning the F5A or wait to get an F8B and go straight to the swap. And while I'm talking about it, does anyone else think that above the rear spring is a wierd place for a fuel filter? It's a real pain in the arse to get to. Especially when you are use to working on an 80 series Landcruiser. :)

The little yellow terra currently has a canopy on it, but I am thinking of taking it of and getting a sports bar made up for the back. My original plan was to turn it into a B&S ute. :lol: But after seeing what a few of you guys have done with yours, I might change. Still a while to go and I don't think the idea of getting it on the road in the short term is going to happen.

I'll try and keep the updates comeing as I go, but I am in the middle of renovating my house as well, so there might be a few slow times. But, so far I have bought some flash wheels that look really out of place on a car with scratches and faded paint. :) I'll start up a gallery and put a couple of pics up.

Love the website and great forum.

Trav
Yes it's my ute, no I won't help you move
me217

i moved my fuel filter into the engine bay cause i got sick of having to work on it down there.
me217

1985 suzuki mighty boy : mods, f8b
1990 toyota mr2 gt import : mods, turbo timer, short shifter, 2.5" exhaust
1992 suzuki sierra : mods, g16b mpfi, 235's/75, snorkel & lift on the way.
Billie

I'v got 2 filters in mine, one at back and engine bay, tis a pain in the arse to change. Good luck. Do f8b, those extra cc's make all the difference.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
ToranaGuy

Those extra cc's are very worth it. Also, get the head ported, that too is very worth it!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Trav

Update,

Posted a couple of pics of the Little Yellow Terra on the members gallery.

Picked up a Hatch of eBay last night. The head gasket is blown, but it came with a new one. It has:
New rear suspension, new ball joints & tie rod ends (installed 12 month ago)
Near new front suspension, gearbox (4spd)
New clutch & brakes
Reconditioned Carby
New Sunroof
Swift GTi seats
Boss Kit & Autotechnica steering wheel
Dark tinted windows
semi sealed headlights
sports exhaust system
80% tread on tyres
12" mags
Ignition kill switch
Head is upgraded to use unleaded

Almost want to get the Hatch going now. :) But must stay focused and work on the MB. I think I will get the F8B going but leave it standard for now. But I'll pull the MB down and maybe get it painted. Was thinking of keeping it yellow, but updating it a bit. The new Suzuki Champion Yellow that is on the Swift Sport. Have to see if that is posible and hopefully not to expensive.

ToranaGuy,
Where did you get your head done? I was reading through you build up and liked what you did. I am looking at putting a supercharger on it just to be different. So I don't want to go crazy with cams and massive compression. I'd be happy to supprise a few people off at the lights, not to fussed about being the fastest guy on the block.

I've rebuilt an engine before, but my knowledge isn't the best as far as tuning them goes. This is going to be a fun learning curve.
:D
Breyten

1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
supervan

where did you get the wheels they look good. what are they worth...
....its not miles per gallon its smiles per gallon....

1990 f10a supercarry 5speed
small van big plan
ToranaGuy

Cool man, i like your wheels!

I had the cyl head done by Hoppers Express cylinder heads, they are fairly local to me, down in Hoppers Crossing, Vic. I found the ported head made a good difference out on the open road on the trip to Albury, i was flying past people, and the pickup from 60+ kph is great.

I have not had it on a dyno yet, I'd love to but money for things like that just isn't around atm. :(

If your F8b head is too soft, there are brand new castings available these days, not sure about their quality tho, just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

[edit] If you want the bumpers to look close to new again, clean them up real good & wipe them over a few times with some tyre black from a can!
Trav

I got the wheels from a local guy in South Windsor, NSW. Action Wheels & Tyres. The wheels are ROH Shift 14x5.5 with Simex 165/55R14. All up they cost $860. The wheels are around $500 and you can get them from Jax for around that price. I think they are on sale at the moment.
ToranaGuy

That's a pretty good deal on the wheels man, i'm sure there will be a couple other mighty boy owners who will like them & maybe get a set too. I paid just short of $1000 for my 15's & tyres. Running a 15x5 with 165/45 R15's.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Trav

Well, after getting off to a great start, I found out I was moving to Victoria (Hoppers Crossing) with work, so I had to stop anything to do with the Boy and finish my house renovations and then move house. I'm down in Vic now and keen to get cracking with the Boy.

So, I have managed to pick up an AMR 500 supercharger and HIF 44 SU carby (Thanks old boy) to fit to the engine I'm ripping out of the Hatch. Thought I would have a play with where to mount it and thought of mounting it onto the intake maifold. Of course there is the issue of tring to get the drive to it, not sure if you could put an extension on that long and then you also run into issues with the engine mount.

What are peoples thoughts?
Trav

Here is a pic of what I had in mind.
Attachments
IMG_0141.jpg
Brayden

Make the top engine mount solid and you don't need that extra side mount. It is just dead weight. You could put an extension on the drive pulley but it will need a balance bearing mounted near the pulley end.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Trav

Maybe get something like this made up to support the extension? Shouldn't to hard to get turned up. Just the cost.....
Attachments
6201_eaton_supercharger-4b77ac12a5f1d.jpg
Trav

Finally got the engine out of the Hatch. Drained the sump and I reckon there was close to a litre of water in there. Yeap, she certainly blew a head gasket. :)

Now to get her rebuilt and into her new home.
Attachments
PICT0027.JPG