Compression Test

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
NozMonkeys

I did a compression test and it was 155 PSI all 4. What's the standard PSI? I'm pretty happy with these results, the vans done 200,000kms and judging by the timing belt condition the engine has too. It doesn't smoke or use water and I hammer its poor guts just to get it to drive at the speed limit. She's good for another 200,000kms haha.

I've got a missfire and just brought a compression tester so thought I'd try it out lol. Plugs are mint and the HT leads look so shitty I won't even bother resistance testing them, I'll just replace them.
Brayden

155PSI is on the low side. You should be up around 200 in a healthy motor.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
NozMonkeys

In a carry? Sounds right to me. oh well, do you have any engine manuals so I can check the standard PSI?I can't find anything on the net.
Billie

Arent most engines basically the same?

At tafe most of them were around the 130's, pretty shot.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
NozMonkeys

All engines are different. The compression ratio is what determines what PSI the compression test outcome will be.

A Turbo engine will have a reading of say 160 PSI where a non turbo will be 180 upwards of 200. Such as a comparison between a CA18DE and CA18DET.

I can't find any information on what readings are good for the f10a engine.

Oh and BTW I always compression test with the throttle closed. I know your mean't to do it with the throttle open though.
Last edited by NozMonkeys on Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billie

But asuming f8b's and f10a's run around the same, they should be similar numbers.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
NozMonkeys

Quite possible. Whats' the F8's compressions mean't to be?
Billie

200?

Mines 155 haha
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
kensvan

For the f10a motor,the high (good)scale of a compression test is 192 psi,the low scale is 174 psi with a maximum difference between any of the 4 cyl is 14.5 psi.with the tester screwed into the spark plug hole you need to have the choke fully open and the accelerater fully open(flat to the floor) then crank over the engine.after the 2 or 3 revolutions you will have your reading.after all 4 pots are done, squirt some clean engine oil down number 1 piston plug hole and do another comp test as before,if your reading is higher then your rings are worn.once all 4 are done replace all plugs,start up and burn off the oil in the cylinders...ken :)
i love my van
NozMonkeys

Where'd you find that Ken?

Perhaps I better try the test with the throttle and choke open.

Any idea how much bearings and rings and gasket kits are for these engines? It'l probably go into another van when I put my K10A in which is very close.
kensvan

After having a few cars and workshop manuals for plenty of reading and asking questions whether silly or not you learn alot,thats were these forums are excellent for info and help.a pro rebuild complete is $2000.00,but i do my own for half that.a complete gasket kit-rings-bearings is about $400.00 from melbourne.that does not include a rebore and new pistons.some times you can just do a hone(de-glase bore and remove top lip) and re-ring existing pistons.my f10a has done 420000 odd klm and re-building at the moment.it needs a re-bore and oversize pistons etc because the cap between the piston and bore is 1.5 mm gap(far too much)i burnt a valve hense no compression in num 3.my comp test on the other pots were 160 psi and the van ran well before i did the valve...sorry for woffling on...ken bla-bla-bla :wink:
i love my van
NozMonkeys

$400 ain't to bad considering the bores are in spec. Of course I'd be paying NZD which would probably be $600. It'd be for my other van which my dad wants lol.