Super Carry Education

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
Highway-Star

Hi all

I am new here, and have signed up as you people seem to have a reasonable following of carrys/super carrys. I am a Suzuki 4wd enthusiast, and am after some model information on Carry vans, as I want to start mixing carry parts into my Suzuki LJ80V Stockman.

I'll introduce what I am trying to achieve, and then ask some questions :)
My LJ80 gets used for 4wding, and it currently runs a standard 4 speed gearbox behind an F10a, and has an LJ50 transfer case, then standard 4.5:1 diff gears. I want to achieve lower gearing for offroad, but do not want to destroy my highway driving. Someone who has previously moded one, has informed me I can use the 5.12 diffs out of a Super Carry van, and make up a Hybrid gearbox from a 5 speed Super Carry and a Maruti Gypsy (or type 3 Suzuki SJ40).

So I need an education on Carry vans :D

First off, what are the differences between a "Carry" and a "Super Carry" ? If you could tell the year model cut offs that would be fantastic :) I have tried reading about it on different web sites, but I think I need an Australian view, as overseas markets seem to make things confusing as usual...

Which models have the correct size diff I am after? So far I have only found 5.12 carry van diffs that are extremely small, being LJ10/LJ20 size. The size I require has a mounting face diameter of ~200mm (size of LJ50, LJ80, SJ40 Sierra)

Are all the Carry 5 speeds the same? or just a certain model? I have been told that the SK410 model is the one previously used in the conversion.

And if any of you guys want to swap your 5.12 diffs for anything higher (I'm not sure if thats desirable for the typical carry van owner?), I know plenty of LJ owners who will gladly swap 4.1's, 4.5's, or 4.8's for your 5.12's if they are the same size :)

Any help genuinely appreciated.
Cheers
NozMonkeys

The Sk410 carry and DA21V super carry run 5 speed f10a's. The only difference I have found so far is my da21v has disc brakes on the front.

Then theres the ST90 which is 4 speed.
Brayden

DA21V is the Japanese model designation for what we know as an SK410. (From 1986 onwards Suzuki Australia ignored the Japanese model number in favour of their own system based on engine configuration. Alto CA72V / SB308 is another example)

The distinction between a "Carry" and "SuperCarry" is as follows:
- ST90/ST80 = pre-1986 with a 798cc/4 speed, drum brakes all round.
- SK410 1986-1991 with a 994cc/4 or 5 speed, disc brake front.

With the SK410, the basic flat-roof model had a 4 speed box, and the "deluxe" model had a 5 speed. Both versions of the high-roof model had a 5 speed box. In all cases the gearbox is cable select, as opposed to direct select in the Sierra.

I will check my workshop manual when I get a chance and see if it lists the diff ratios. Another consideration would be the diff from an import DA51V. They have a ridiculously short ratio diff, which might be evened out by a set of decent muddies on a Sierra.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
NozMonkeys

So I got landed with the 1 SK410 with drum brakes on the front? lol that sucks. I am from NZ though so our models could have a variance. And the engines in my carrys are 970cc.
Brayden

Sorry yes, 970cc is right.
Karu

The Super Carry diff is 5.125 to 1. Whether it is 200mm I am not sure. It is pouring rain so I don't feel like laying under the van.
kensvan

The pre 1986 st-90 diff ratio is 5.12 and holds 1 litre of oil,where as the 1986 super carry holds 1.3 litres of oil but the manual did not state the ratio.i am pretty sure its the same but holds more oil (could be bigger) in the 4 speed st-90 you can replace the 4 speed with a 5 speed including the centre gear shift with selector cables,centre mounting plate and tail shaft.

i will take pics of both rear housings for comparison and post...ken
i love my van
Highway-Star

Hey thanks for all your respsonses guys, really appreciated! :D

Kensvan, The Diff in my LJ80, is also 1.3L (in the rear anyway), so that would be the size I am after. I actually have a mystery rear diff housing in my shed. The guy I got it off thought it was a LJ80 stockman, but its not, its a few mm wider and has different brake line brackets. I am guessing it is a carry/super-carry housing. Being so similar in size to my Stockman housings, I would think they would have the same oil capacity... (this housing fits my LJ size centres).

Brayden, thats why I need to use a Carry 5 speed, not a rare-ish Sierra F10 5 speed, as the LJ uses a linkage shift, not a top loader like the Sierra. A top loader could be used, but I end up with having to cut a big ugly hole forward in my transmission tunnel :( .

For those who aren't quite sure what car I am talking about, its a pre-Sierra LJ80 Stockman (I also own a Sierra, and a LJ81 project car). Here she is:

supervan

so i can use the 4.5.1 diff gears out of a sierra in my 1990 f10a 4 speed super carry :?: the 5.125 gears in the carry are way to short for me :cry: and need to do somthing 80kph @6000rpm is just not doing it for me or the van....
....its not miles per gallon its smiles per gallon....

1990 f10a supercarry 5speed
small van big plan
NozMonkeys

Do any of the carry diffs have electronic lock or lsd? Or else one that would fit into a carry.
kensvan

Looks like you run 5 stud axles where we use 4 studs,interesting to see if your whole rear end will fit under a carry and the front hubs---bigger wheels like a 4wd hight but 2 wd...ken
i love my van
gadj

Yes the LJ50/80/81's use a 5 stud on 5.5 inch PCD the same as the Sierra/Vitara/Jimny's (F series Fords, Diahatsu F20/50, Feroza, Rocky & a few others). I suspect the LJ series axles might fit the Carry centres.
I have an LJ50 running Nissans A14 & 4speed (I think there is a pic in my gallery but I will have to find it another time.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Highway-Star

Sorry for slack replies again, been away at a comp all weekend.

Supervan, If you want to check (this will help me also), you can contact me (send me a PM) and you can come have a look at some 4.5 centres if you want. I have more 4.5 centres than I can shake a stick at!
Just note that the 4.5's come from LJ80's, NOT Sierras. Sierras depending on the model have 4.1's in the same size, or for all other models, bigger size diff centres.

Yes they are 5 stud, but the wheel studs are pressed into the drum brakes, and the drum brakes bolt onto a 4 stud semi-floating axle shaft. I dont however think that the 4 studs are the 4 stud wheel pattern.

Nozmonkeys, there was a factory cable locker for SJ40's, LJ80's and maybe 50's sold in some overseas markets. However it was only designed to work with the factory transfer handbrake so it braked both rear wheels in 2wd. It is not supposed to be used as a traction aid.
gadj

Are the 4wd Carry's that I see advertised in 4x4 Trader & Just 4x4's at seemingly extortionate prices grey imports or otherwise? I also remember a review done on the 4wd Carry & Hijet back in the mid to late '80's in an Aussie magazine but I am sure Brayden says elsewhere in this forum that no 4wd version was released here.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Brayden

Pre '91 4wd Carry models in Australia are all low volume imports. The only domestic 4wd Carry models we have are the late 90's model traybacks, which were sold in 2wd with a 4wd option.