WTB.. Engine for the Mighty Toy.

For all your Suzuki wants and needs
CharmedOne

Hi Everyone,

Three years ago you might all recall our little Mighty Toy was given a huge overhaul as part of the Shoot Out Film Festival.

Everything was done, sprayed, prettied up and wrapped in graphics. Everything has been great til about 6mths ago. The little Toy is going through a lot of oil.. I mean lots. Now, living up near Gloucester we have no decent mechanics and have been advised that it most likely is the rings that are no good.. and that it will require a new engine.

So, I need to find my trusty Mighty Toy an new engine. It has a certified F8 in it, with all the new seats etc.

You might recall I have very LIMITED experience in any of the mechanics of the car, and would greatly appreciate any advice. suggestions or assistance.

Cheers.

Charmed. -aka Joanne.

:D
Brayden

If there are no decent mechanics in your area, find one who is at least competent enough to remove the motor and send it to Suzi Auto Services in Brisbane. Freight isn't expensive and you'll get a good rebuild from those guys.

http://www.suziauto.com/
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Brokenshire

DIY the engine removal!

It's a good way to acclimatize yourself with the car.
CharmedOne

Thanks for all your advice guys.. much appreciated.

Re: removing the engine myself, unfortunately that isn't on the cards. Major hand surgery 9wks ago won't allow me to do much more than hold a spanner..

Re: Our location it's IMPOSSIBLE to find a decent mechanic.. there are none up here that are familiar with the car and one's suggestion was to burn it in his paddock. Lovely.

Here is the link to the original film, behind the scenes look at what the car went through.. :) Thought you might like to see.

http://www.adikted.tv/film/the-shoot-ou ... 15587697m/

Thanks again.

Joanne.
Billie

Is there anyone on the forum who is in driving distance that could pull the motor out and put it back in?
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
mowog

it's no good guessing. Using oil could be just the valve guides which only requires the head to be removed. Also could be just the valve stem seals which can be fixed without removing the head.
get a compression test, this won't necessarily identify crook rings as the oil rings don't contribute a lot to compression, but low compression can indicate worn rings generally.
Also it could be something simple like a leaky sump or blocked PCV valve.
Suggest you join your local Royal Auto Club or NRMA they will do an inspection and give you an idea what is wrong.
Don't completely believe them I have found them to be a bit so-so, but can be useful.

After that you will still have to find a mechanic hope it worksd out for you.
As a matter of interest I have owned dozens of cars and repaired a lot of engines, I have never had an engine actually need a rebore from wear. Reground crankshafts yes,.
CharmedOne

Thanks Mowog and Billie.. :)

The only NRMA guy around is a local mechanic who advises most people not to 'mess with him' I think he thinks he's a SOPRANO. He's a frustrated mechanic who has aspirations to be a Cop. Needless to say he is useless and has the lovely reputation of ripping a lot of people off for very basic things.

The next mechanic over from him (45mins away) is retiring next month, and is not an NRMA member.. his advice was to burn the car. The next option is to get the car to NEWCASTLE but seeing as there is NO tow truck up this way, I would have to BEG someone from Newcastle to come all the way up the Bucketts Way to do this..2hrs each way, two have already told me 'No Thanks"...lol

We did find a local 'mobile' mechanic, who came out once to look at my husbands car, took some parts from it, never returned calls, the parts or came back to finish the job.. in the end it was found out he wasn't licensed, was ripping off everyone but was still being heavily promoted by the local Auto Pro at the Terrace... So needless to say, mechanics around these parts are far and few.

We have a large shed on the property which can house up to 10 cars.. it was custom built for the original owner and his love of imported jags. Just need to find someone with more knowledge of the car than me. :) Which really won't be hard. Also, on site there is a B&B that sleeps up to six people.. ready for anyone who can find me a decent mechanic.
Brokenshire

a B&B that sleeps up to six people..
Are you asking for a road trip?
CharmedOne

Brokenshire wrote:
a B&B that sleeps up to six people..
Are you asking for a road trip?

Never actually thought of that..lol I mentioned it in case anyone was coming past this way and wanted to drop in.. there is room if they needed to stay.

:)
Billie

woohoo roadtrip :)
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
CharmedOne

Billie wrote:woohoo roadtrip :)
lol... you guys are all welcome to do a 'roadtrip'.. :)
Brayden

There is a guy in Newcastle with a backyard workshop who might be willing to help you. I'd suggest jumping on www.redlinegti.com/forum and send a PM to him.

His username is "red89gti" and his real name is Jason.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
CharmedOne

Hi Guys,

Well a good friend, EvilGidget came and looked over the car today, got underneath, removed oil sump and apparently it has a scored bore and cracked rings.

So now to find someone who can repair it locally.. :(
evilgidget

Huh I what?

:P

Just try to get a replacement. Much cheaper option. THEN if you don't have any luck, I'll ask around & see how much moolah a resleeved block & a rebuild set is going to set you back. Might be the better option to build it, as you'll get a good base to start from & not be getting someone else's mess.
CharmedOne

evilgidget wrote:Huh I what?

:P

Might be the better option to build it, as you'll get a good base to start from & not be getting someone else's mess.
I think I would much rather go with the rebuild.. that way I know it's not going to DIE 1hr down the road.. :D

Thanks for all your help today Adz.. much appreciated.