G10a engine transplant under way!!!

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
gadj

:x :x only bad news regards the transaxle (gearbox) 1st had most teeth stripped & most of the syncros are worn out. In other words - beyond economical repair.
Derek has a GTi box 2nd hand that is serviceable but I dont have the $$$ right now.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Billie

No offence to suzisport, but they dont know much. I went in there for a rotor button, and he said the rotor button a swift doesnt need replacing. I kinda lauged and walked away.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
gadj

I know it does not make sense from our point of view but I know Derek to be a very knowledgeable bloke - if Derek told you that, it was with good reason.
It does not make good business sense to give poor advice. (I doubt it was other than an employee with a grudge giving you a bum steer).
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
gadj

Finally got hold of a replacement transaxle :D . No idea what it was out of but definitely series 2 onward. It bolts up no worries & my series 1 inner CV's fit BUT the outer casting doesn't have the 4 bolt mount that the series one had underneath for the Left mount. I can see I'll have to fabricate something to go between the mount I have & the new box but am trying to find pics from others posts to see what they used - search function has only given me dead/broken links. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Pic of transaxle coming
nelpd96

This is what I did with mine and it seems to work ok. It is a modified swift one I think can't really remember as it has been a while

http://www.teammightyboy.com/forum/view ... 0&start=90

Cheers
Paul
gadj

Thank-you very much Paul, that's one of the threads I tried viewing earlier & the pics weren't loading. Looks very much like the box I have now with the LH mount off the front of the casing rather than underneath.
gadj

I lowered the engine & transaxle into my MightyBoy yesterday for a test fit. Not good... I have clearance issues with the differential (Bloke I bought the box from purchased it as a GTi unit but found it was geared as per a standard Swift). It is within 10mm of the firewall - might have to get the hammer to work there. I have used the shafts from the SA G10 conversion which both fit the transaxle but I have found the RH shaft too short by 40 to 50mm. The LH transaxle mount will be offset to the Left but otherwise a similar deal to Paul's.

I have been trying to upload pics but not succeeding - server times out. I will try later with downsized images & maybe try a different format to JPEG.
Brayden

gadj wrote:that's one of the threads I tried viewing earlier & the pics weren't loading.
gadj wrote: I have been trying to upload pics but not succeeding - server times out. I will try later with downsized images & maybe try a different format to JPEG.
Sounds like a problem with your net connection/ISP. All the pics in the other thread load for me, and the image upload function of the forum is set to 10MB per image with a very generous session limit.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
gadj

Brayden, I have to suspect the same. Most of Bigpond customers in South East Qld. have their internet routed via a huge server at Capalaba. I have been having intermittent problems with other sites too. I will always ask if there are known issues rather than assuming.

Better results with the fit up today... A bit of thinking & some searching for a custom shaft builder changed my mind regarding the shaft being too short. Realising the shafts have floating CV's to allow suspension articulation, I jiggled the engine/box around & got the shaft into the transaxle properly before sliding the outer home, in the hub :D
The diff is still closer to the firewall than I like so I'm looking to swing the transaxle backwards so the diff moves toward the centre where the firewall is suitably shaped... may still need that hammer though. My LH mount bracket is shaping up nicely - just have to hope my MIG is going to behave (old unit with some faults). The MIG will still at least tack things in place if it plays up & I can borrow little Bro's inverter arc welder to run the seams. Hopefully tomorrow will see the MB up on axle stands & some welding started. Aiming to swap the auto shifter out for the manual too.
gadj

Seems Bigpond issues in S.E.Qld are to blame for my not being able to post pics directly here - Brayden has assured me there is no problem with the forum. I have uploaded to SkyDrive only to find the permissions were set as private & I could not find how to change to public - ended up sharing to facebook
so you can find a link to a stack of pics at https://www.facebook.com/gadj.strebor

My world may as well have crashed today - fumes from my garage are going through to the upstairs neighbour. As soon as she told me (Monday) I stopped all fume producing activity & told her I would not continue in regard to her health. Today, she's been down to the library to research the effects of welding fumes - knocks on my door & delivers a verbal attack on me over the issue. I have basically been told my life stops NOW. No more work on my cars or anything else for that matter & expect a call from the Landlord in 30mins. Knowing I've been here 18yrs longer than she, I called the Landlord & told him he's loosing a tennant & why - might just be sorted on the weekend (I can't afford rent elsewhere anyway).
gadj

Getting close to finding out if the neighbour issue has been resolved. My Landlord has told me to carry on with what I need to do but only on days the neighbour is at TAFE.. Mon & Wed from the 9th of July.

The link to my pics seems to have been broken.
Seeing that I have to move the MB outside once I get back to work on it, I will be able to get better images.

To get around the current fitting issues, I plan to get some blocks of wood the same thickness as my engine mounts & fix them where the rubber mounts would normally be. I'm hoping the engine can be moved to where it fits best & I can then drill upwards through the blocks to mark my new brackets. I will need to re-work the shift linkages as the new transaxle has the brace stud & shift rod in different places to the old Mk 1 box.
gadj

Just got back from out in the garage, I have (very quietly) been doing a bit more mocking up with the new transaxle.
A good look around has identified what hits where (thanks to nelpd96 I have the fix). I also find my gear shift linkages are not likely to work with the new box - The brace rod comes off the left side whilst the new box looks like I need it on the right

Could someone please provide pics/advise what works with later (SA) Swift box.
nelpd96

Mate i have the same box in mine. people don't realise how much bigger the box is. i used the swift linkage because i had he whole car but i will take some pics tomorrow for you. anything else you can think of that you might want a photo of while i am on he go?
gadj

Can't think of anything else right away thanks Paul. Your help is greatly appreciated. The main part of the box is almost identical to the G10a Mk1 but the diff casting is comparatively huge. I spent an hour just looking for interference points (body/drive line) before bringing up your thread for another look - I was relieved to see what you had cut/ground or re-shaped was not too serious. I aim to have the rolling shell out on the driveway Monday week (9th) to commence surgery.
nelpd96

Rigto, here are the photos of my setup. I have welded in thread so that I could easily adjust the length as I was playing around with the engine position a bit. I am sure that you don't need to do that but it should give you an idea anyway.

Cheers
Paul
Attachments
SAM_2346.JPG
SAM_2347.JPG
SAM_2348.JPG
SAM_2349.JPG