Impossible to get legal wheels????

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
CameronMinns

Hey people,

Just questioning the legality of aftermarket wheels on Suzuki Carry's.

I went to two different wheel places and they said that there is no way to put legal aftermarket wheels on my van because it was a commercial vehicle and that means the wheels need to be rated for 600kg or something. And to fit wheels and tyres is impossible.
They even said the ones I am rolling on at the moment are illegal.

Whats the go?

Are Suzuki Carry's considered Passenger vehicles or Commercial vehicles??
The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
Billie

Try jax, they put 165/65/R14 on my boy, beaurepairs said it was illegal and needed a engineers cert, so did bob jane.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
supervan

try queenslands best wheels and tyers at geebung on robinson rd
....its not miles per gallon its smiles per gallon....

1990 f10a supercarry 5speed
small van big plan
Brayden

If the van is a 4 seater then it isn't a commercial vehicle. If it has no back seat then it is commercial and requires appropriate wheels and commercial grade (light truck) tyres.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
NozMonkeys

You guys have rather strict rules over there! You can have any size over here as long as it don't rub and you have flares if needed.
supervan

NozMonkeys wrote:You guys have rather strict rules over there! You can have any size over here as long as it don't rub and you have flares if needed.
all the people i have talked to from nz have said the same thing... some nz mates of mine over here that i work with said just about anything goes over there :D

small van big plan
CameronMinns

What if I put in back seats myself???

I'll check out the Geebung place.
The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
Brayden

If you put in a back seat then it will need an engineers cert to change the capacity to 4 seats.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Billie

Why dont you just get the rims and tyres you want, then put them on the van yourself?
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
kensvan

Just a tip,if you put wider wheels on and they stick out a fraction from the guards,the side sliding doors will hit the tyres,hence can't open the doors fully...ken
i love my van
CameronMinns

Well can the police fine you for having them on??? If you installed the wheels yourself?

How hard would an engineers certificate be to get on some back seats. (which were originally from a Carry)
Karu

Just put the wheels and tyres you want on it. These vans are so uncommon I doubt there will be a cop anywhere that would know the 600kg van is supposed to have light truck tyres.

I got pulled up by cops for speeding (94 kmh) and I said to them. "No way, these vans have a 970cc engine with a top speed in good condition of 90 kmh, this has traveled 288,000 km. There is something wrong with your radar" I was let off. Cops will not know the tyres are wrong. My Super Carry is a 4 seater and is meant to have light truck tyres, but as I said to my roadworthy tester. "Surely good road radials are safer than truck tyres." He let it pass with radials. I have carried huge loads in mine and the radial tyres take the punishment wonderfully. Whoever created the light truck tyres ruling must have had rocks in his head. My beloved Morris 1100's weighed far more than the van and they had 12 inch tyres, they don't require light truck tyres. And what about Mini's, they take tiny 10 inch tyres, they weigh far more than 600kg and they don't need light truck tyres. Yes I know that Carry's have to handle weight when they are fully loaded, but that couldn't be any more than each tyre taking 300kg each. A modern car, obviously with larger tyes, would have 450kg on each tyre before there is a load and that load could easily add an extra 150kg to each tyre. Each tyre being able to take the full weight of an empty Carry.
Karu

Cameron, I was just thinking you could always keep the 12 inch wheels fitted with light truck tyres for heavy work. It doesn't take long to change 4 wheels if needed. you could then argue that you are responsible by using truck tyres when necessary. It always comes down to a Police officers discretion.
supervan

i get pulled over all the time in brissy for random breath tests in ny van with arfter market wheels ( not fitted with light truck tyers) they have never said anything about the wheels... dont stress about it mate :wink:

small van big plan
Jermaine

i think the cops would be more worried about high performance vehicles with mags and tires that dont meet the load rating.. it is actualy illigal to have tires that dont meet the load rating requirments, but if ya not doin anythin stupid then ya wont get looked at, plus its not as if u would be carry heavy shit all day every day