..gearbox..help..

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
supervan

ive just got ahold of a 5 speed :D but befor i buy it i just need to no some things, the gear box is from a f8a will this bolt up to my f10a,and will i need a tailshaft from a 5 speed or is the 4 speed the same length.......kenvan i no you have to vans a 4 and 5 speed can you help with the tailshaft problem...... if any one has converted there carry from 4 to a 5 speed what will i need other then the gearbox any help would be great :)
....its not miles per gallon its smiles per gallon....

1990 f10a supercarry 5speed
small van big plan
Karu

I might be wrong but I believe that only the Super Carry came out with the 5 speed and that was behind the F10A 970cc engine so I doubt whether the F8A had a 5 speed.
supervan

ive got the super carry and mine has the 4 speed,im sure the box im lookin at for my vav is from a f8a at least i think i am

small van big plan
Karu

Ken says that if you have cables to your gearbox then you have a 5 speed, I don't know about that but if you have a Super Carry you must have a 5 speed box surely.
Jermaine

id say it would bolt up, but im not 100%
supervan

Karu wrote:Ken says that if you have cables to your gearbox then you have a 5 speed, I don't know about that but if you have a Super Carry you must have a 5 speed box surely.
they came with both 4 and 5 speed unless befor i bort the van they stole the 5th gear and replaced the gear knob to one with a 4 speed pattern on it :D :wink: Engine : supercarry 4 cylinder in-line OHC, 970 cc (Suzuki)
Power : 44 bhp (33 kW) @ 5300 rpm
Torque : 75 N·m (55 lb·ft) @ 3200 rpm
Acceleration (0-30 mph) : 9.5 seconds:
Gearbox : 4- or 5-speed........straight from wikipedia

small van big plan
kensvan

Hi super,i took photos of the two box's on the week end but having trouble posting,any way i will measure both box's and tail shafts tomorrow morning and post results straight away.when are you going to cairns...ken
i love my van
supervan

hi ken it would be great to see both box's it will help me out :) why not just post the pics of the gear box's in your gallery..... yeh im going to cairns on friday 30th first time up north :D ....ill post pics of my 4 speed gearbox in the gallery so you can cheack it out :wink:

small van big plan
kensvan

Hi,the 5 speed box is 530mm from bellhousing face to the very end of the tail shaft housing.

the 4 speed box is 430mm from bellhousing face to the very end of the tail shaft housing...a big differance...ken

pics now added to gallery-page 5 (ken) :)
i love my van
supervan

hi ken thanks for the pics.the box in my van looks the same as your five speed, it looks nothing like your 4 speed,but mine is a 4 speed :? here is pics of the 5 speed i just got and one of the 4 speed allready in my van,also ive put some more in my gallery
[img]C:\Users\Ando\Pictures\2010-07-24%20bnbvc\bnbvc%20015.JPG[/img]
[img]C:\Users\Ando\Pictures\2010-07-24%20bnbvc\bnbvc%20029.JPG[/img]
[img]C:\Users\Ando\Pictures\2010-07-24%20bnbvc\bnbvc%20042.JPG[/img]
[img]C:\Users\Ando\Pictures\2010-07-24%20bnbvc\bnbvc%20043.JPG[/img]

small van big plan
supervan

ok the pic didn't work :oops: well all the pics of both box's are in my gallery :)

small van big plan
kensvan

Hi josh,i will post some questions on your van as another subject.anyway you put me to shame with how clean your under carriege is,you definatlly have a 5 speed in your van and now a spare.before you change boxes,we need to make sure your cables are adjusted correctly.Do you have a book if not i will refresh from mine and post(can,t scan) ken

well i read my un-satusfactory haynes manual,and from what i read-if you can select 1-2-3-4 precicely then it is fine.5th gear was an optional extra depending on what country the vehical was exported to.the gear-box casings are identical but no 5th gear.i will send a pm with my phone number if required...ken
i love my van
supervan

hey ken i can shift precisely from1-2-3-4 the cable seems fine :? so if the fifth gear was an option and both cases are the identical on the 4 and 5 speed(depending on what country the van was exported to) could mine be the non optioned 4 speed and the box i just got is the optioned 5 speed :?:

small van big plan
kensvan

Hi josh,it seams that you might have the non option 4 speed,i was really busy today but tomorrow arvo i will select all gears in mine and take note each time the selector shaft location/position at the gear box.keep you posted...ken
i love my van
supervan

kensvan wrote:Hi josh,it seams that you might have the non option 4 speed,i was really busy today but tomorrow arvo i will select all gears in mine and take note each time the selector shaft location/position at the gear box.keep you posted...ken
thanks ken i think it might just be the non optioned 4 speed....

small van big plan