Lowered springs

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Husky

Im looking at going a little lower and stiffer in the front end after my sa strut conversion and 50mm lowering(blocks) in the rear. My front height is around 45mm off the wheels and rear(which im happy with) is around 20mm(165/55/13) Standard MB springs I've been told are 80-85lb/in
My question is with the KSFL-12 springs.(lowered springs) I've been told they are progressive with around 165lb/in and 265mm long. The standard swift KSFS-12 145lb/in 270mm free length single rate
I want to use the KSFL-12, Being progressive does this mean that the first 20-30mm of travel is considerably softer then gets quite hard?
Would this spring rate suit the MB?
I have fitted standard MB springs on the sa struts with a 10mm preload spacer.
The unloaded length of the spring fitted to the strut with 10mm pre load spacer in the sa strut is 265mm when the car is seated(static height)the spring reducers to 205mm.
Im hoping to lose about another 20-25mm in ride height with the KSFL-12 springs. Therefore from 265mm free length to 185mm or so static ride height length.
I will need a small preload spacer because the stroke fitted length of the spring is 275mm(this must be why Brayden got the strut rod machined down 30mm?)
Long story short what are peoples opinions whether this outcome will work or do I need to buy the springs to find out? :|
Brayden

Unless King Springworks have changed the design then KFSL12 are not progressive. They have the same diameter and almost identical coil spacing from top to bottom.

Yes I had the shafts on my new struts machined down by 30mm to compensate for the lower springs. Both to ensure that the spring remained trapped at full extension, and to prevent premature valve failure.

If you want a slightly firmer ride than standard without losing the progressive spring rate, then try a set of standard SA GTi springs. Cut a coil off the top if you want to drop it.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Husky

Unless King Springworks have changed the design then KFSL12 are not progressive. They have the same diameter and almost identical coil spacing from top to bottom.
They told me it was progressive, That was what I was emailed by King Springworks :-o
Would a GTI spring be similar to a KSFL-12?
thanks Brayden
Cheers
Brayden

KFSL12 is sold as an upgrade from a standard GTi spring, so I suspect that a standard GTi spring is slightly softer and more compliant - the GTi spring certainly looks more progressive. I think I still have a pair laying around here somewhere.

I find that the King Springs are pretty bloody stiff, and there's nothing progressive at all about them, because they jar the shit out of the body over small bumps. Of course this is also exaggerated by the rubber-band tyres I'm running. :lol:
Husky

Its one of those interesting things that is always a compromise.
Ive read somewhere here that some standard sa springs where used and it actually increased the ride height, I guess due to the higher spring rate it didnt compress as much as a standard spring.
When you look at it the standard springs are very soft.
Free length is 340mm
fited length to strut 262mm
static length(car on wheels)205mm approx
thats alot of spring(135mm) just for the car to sit at rest. :-o
holk

Brayden wrote: I find that the King Springs are pretty bloody stiff, and there's nothing progressive at all about them, because they jar the shit out of the body over small bumps. :lol:
Seconded! And with bucket style racing seats, every pot hole you re-digest the previous night dinner.

...and whoever told you about progressivity does not know what a progressive rate spring is. I have install them last year and I can assure you they are not .
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/11796-1/holk3-1.jpg[/img]
Husky

Gday Holk,
what setup have you got with your ute?
Cheers

This is part of the email I recieved when enquiring about the springs

The lowered coil is progressive pitch as the STD height is linear in rate.

Regards ,

Kris Tarrant

Sales and Technical Services

IT Manager
KING SPRINGWORKS PTY LTD
holk

Husky,
GTI struts and K-Koil KFSL12 up front, 2" lowering blocks at back. The front has too much negative camber and I am putting camber bolts on this week end to solve the problem.
Husky

Cheers Holk,
Are the Gti struts the same height as standard sa struts? and are the springs '" K-Koil" the same as the king springs KSFL-12?
Thanks mate. :)
holk

Don't know Husky: I don't have way of comparing them as I only have GTIs.
me217

Husky wrote: When you look at it the standard springs are very soft.
Free length is 340mm
fited length to strut 262mm
static length(car on wheels)205mm approx
thats alot of spring(135mm) just for the car to sit at rest. :-o
i'd believe that, all you gotta do is look how high they sit in the front when you've removed the engine. and thats not real heavy
me217

1985 suzuki mighty boy : mods, f8b
1990 toyota mr2 gt import : mods, turbo timer, short shifter, 2.5" exhaust
1992 suzuki sierra : mods, g16b mpfi, 235's/75, snorkel & lift on the way.
Husky

I bit the bullet and bought a pair of KSFL-12.
They do look progressive to me Maybe a new design? have other people who have them got a "X" after the KSFL-12?
Cheers :)
Brayden

Yeah they look different to mine, which were purchased 5 or 6 years ago.
holk

I got them last year and they look different; I will check them tomorrow for the "x"
Husky

Is the part that pushes on the spring on top longer on the sa swift than the MB? Due to the short length of the spring(265mm) at full extension it would come almost unseated(no preload on the spring)
what is the length of a standard sa swift spring?